F-T/R Build Questions

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by MikeMcCasland, Mar 11, 2019.

1. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Gents,

Planning on building out an F-T/R .308 rifle here soon, and wanted to get some feedback. I'll preface this by saying I've only shot ~10 F-Class matches in my entire life, so I come at this with very little "hands on" experience, and I don't "know what I like" to guide me.

That said, I've talked to a few knowledgeable folks, and on the topic of actions I've been pushed towards either a Ti action (Tuebor or Pierce) or an Kelbly F-Class Panda . Assuming a single shot config, are there any major pros and cons between these, or are the differences so small it's pretty much personal preference? I'm currently leaning towards the more popular Panda, if only because it seems like they're a more established company (i.e. less worry about long-term support).

Regarding stocks, I'm going with a composite; I don't trust myself not to beat up a wood one. That said, I would think something like a light fill McMillan XIT would be ideal, but I've been told perhaps a Carbon Manners T6A would be better? I suspect this is a personal preference decision, but figured I'd ask.

Assuming the above stock/action combo, and a golden eagle scope, would you expect that to allow me to run a 30" HV contour barrel? Planning to run either a joypod, or a Phoenix with a lowrider/lightweight kit.

Reamers: I'll be running Lapua Palma brass, and hopefully shooting 200.20x bullets. I don't want to neck turn, so thinking I'd want a .342 neck with a .170 freebore. Anything else to add?

Any thoughts or commentary would be appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

I vote Panda.

Take a look at the Kelbly stocks also. The KTS (and 1M) has some decent following in FTR. They can be had super light. My KTS is lighter than my Xit by half a pound.

3. GenePoole

GenePoole

I think you'll find that 18.18 lbs is rather generous. For FTR, I run a steel R700 action in a large-ish Master Class wooden stock with a medium palma barrel and a Golden Eagle. Mine weighs in at 17.4 lbs with a Seb Joypod.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

This one came in at 15.5lb as pictured. Panda, March 10-60, 28" hv, joypod, Cerus stock. The stock was very light. seb.jpg

Rocketvapor, MikeMcCasland and Crow like this.
  5. Crow

Crow Silver $$ Contributor

Another vote for Panda. Consider the dual port and mechanical ejector options if you haven't already. Myself, I like a nice wood stock... feel like their 'dampening' qualities are better, and they add a lot of personality to a rifle.

RDA72927 likes this.
  6. MikeMcCasland

Alex, my biggest hesitation towards the Panda has been the scope mounts; per their description they run a picatinnny rail that is 'non standard', but those don't look like Kelbly rings. Do they make bases now that accept Seekins/NF type pic rings?

Also, amazing looking rifle.

7. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

The Panda with Pic rail takes any of your standard rings (I run NF Ultralight). The slots arent standard spacing.. so it wouldnt line up with another pic rail that is standard.

MikeMcCasland likes this.
  8. MikeMcCasland

Thank you! That clears up some confusion. I won't be migrating scopes, so no big deal in that case.

9. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

I just put my FTR rifle together. I went with the Xit. I shot it a bit on Monday and the stock is wonderful. Very comfortable and adjustable. The palmswell is what pushed me into one (I was able to lay hands on one prior to ordering) and is still, IMHO, the best part. It puts my hand in the perfect position to fire from and the thumb shelf is also perfect, for me. I can't recommend it enough.
    I ordered it directly from McMillan with a quoted wait time of 6 months. I got it after 3 1/2 months.
    I shoot .223 so did not get the RAD. If I was shooting .308, I would have gotten it.
    Max, their sales guy, is very helpful. He can walk/talk you thru the process. I did take his suggestion and print out the order form from the site and filled it out at home so as to make my conversation with him faster.
    Good luck.

MikeMcCasland and BLCKWLF like this.
  10. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF

Thank you for the kind words Bully.

We do carry most of what you'd need at ELRHQ.com

Feel free to email me as well. Maxwell@mcmillanusa.com

11. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

Don’t let it go to your head...;)

Ramblerman and BLCKWLF like this.
  12. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF

I can't have fine customer service without fine customers to serve now can I? haha

Bully likes this.