F Class X Ring Comparisons: 284 Win & 25x47L

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 257Blackjack, Mar 9, 2019.

1. rafale

rafale

You are right but John Whidden was shooting a record at the 2017 Southwest Nationals with a 6mm . We all searching a perfect caliber but for me
    very good barrel and bullets are the key (most great part)of long range precision.

Michel

2. LGKLAS

LGKLAS

Rardoin- (not to hijack thread) what barrel length and twist rate were you running shooting the 150 SMK/6.5 ? TIA, lg

3. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

True, he was also shooting on target twice the size of a F Class target.

MattPeetz likes this.
  4. rafale

rafale

Yes but it's more stable shooting with rest and bags!

5. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

PM sent

LGKLAS likes this.
  6. Medic505

This thread is about bullet performance, not stability of a shooting platform.

MattPeetz likes this.
  7. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Dave doesn't shoot f class. Not seriously. Your dataset of one is just lame. Sorry, but it is...

Dave is literally the most successful shooter in the history of competitive centerfire rifle shooting. So he's my hero. How many Nationals have you won?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Medic505

One more than you? 20190313_091327.jpg

Crow, RDA72927, MattPeetz and 7 others like this.
  9. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

dminn1 and Medic505 like this.
  10. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I first heard of this “quarter bore” revival a month or so ago when I saw the rifle that Short Action Customs built.

It’s been intriguing me ever since.

257Blackjack likes this.
  11. 257Blackjack

257Blackjack Site $$ Sponsor

RARDOIN,

I will be buying an F-Class rig from a former Team USA member and will be testing the 25x47L and 25 WSSM with RCC Brass at 1000 extensively in the next month. I'll update with pics of vertical results.

I won't say too much at this time, but if we see issues with vertical dispersion we have an Ace in the Hole so to speak to remediate this, and this piece of tech has been on our To Do list for about six months. We have to play with it to get it right, but the process can make shot to shot vertical improve for any bullet and is likely the unseen reason why some projectiles outperform others in waterline.

I have been waiting for the process to be integrated into the bulk mfg line equipment but it's not there just yet.

This testing will be a little ahead of me receiving my Oehler 89 unit but will be good timing to carry out the testing from a pure accuracy standpoint and then check TOF / BC SD / Waterline when the Oehler 89 arrives.

I have seen the actual results from a TOF / BC SD perspective, and a pure accuracy perspective and was quite impressed and for certain groups of shooters the minor tradeoff in BC could be worth the waterline results.

This should be in late May or June.

rardoin likes this.
  12. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Look forward to seeing your results..

13. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

An example of the above performance of the very high B.C. 150 SMK in a 5 shot test at 300yds....albeit in some way less than ideal test conditions but not severe enough to account for the spoiler. This was repeating in matches at 600/1000 and cost me points. Although this load theoretically shoots a bit inside of a .284/184gr BH/2850 fps...if this turd shows up in a match...well...you get the idea:

[​IMG]

Crow likes this.
  14. MattPeetz

MattPeetz Silver $$ Contributor

So your going to cut rings on the nose of bullets

Crow and rardoin like this.
  15. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

In my opinion after reading thru the whole thread and after trying the latest and greatest calibers,twist rates, and new bullet designs for over 30 years.

The one thing can’t be argued....and especially with mid range match and e targets..... the biggest diameter bullet you can legally shoot is always the one that is closest to the line..... also after shooting 4 different calibers in f open competition for over a decade... I will always stick with the calibers that I can easily source very good quality brass, that will not shoot the pockets loose in three shots. For me that’s a straight 284 Win shooting 6.5x284 Lapua brass. I think in the end it’s about how much time do you want to spend shooting versus how much time do you want to spend on brass prep?

Scott Harris and RDA72927 like this.