F class rapid fire

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by damoncali, Apr 22, 2019.

1. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

Am I the only one who’d like to try a rapid fire stage in f class matches? Say, 300 yards, 10 shots, 1 minute-ish No target pulling - basically just like XTC rapids.

2. XTR

XTR

Are you talking about single feeding or do we need a magazine?

3. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

Why 300? Wouldn’t it be better at 1000? Sighters or no sighters?

4. XTR

XTR

I've done 2 sighters + 10 for group at 1000 once. Judging that pickup 3 shots in with no sighters is just a bit challenging. I was happy to have 9 out of 10 in the 10 ring.

5. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

Pretty sure this is just called benchrest

6. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

What might make a fun game would to be just pull and paste with white pasters leaving all previous shots. Might make a good ET game...

7. kzin

kzin

Love it.

Especially makes sense for allowing some folks to shoot f-class along with an xtc match.

CIHPRS tried it, saw a few on last years result lists, don't know if they're doing it again.

8. kzin

kzin

Either, should have to mag swap just like the slingers if using mags.

9. XTR

XTR

That was kind of the point of my question, most of us in F class, just like Palma shooters, shoot with single shot actions so mag swaps are really not an option.

No doubt what we are discussing sounds a lot like BR, or playing with your PRS rifle on a round target. I've done a match like that. After shooting thousands of rounds single feeding running the bolt and shooting quickly was kind of a novelty.

10. okshooter

okshooter

Those that know me, know I shoot pretty fast. I have joked that we need to change to Comstock scoring like IPSC. Divide your score by your time to get a 'hit factor'. So, if I shoot a 198 in 5 minutes, I would have a hit factor of 39.6. If someone else shot a 198 in 10 minutes, their hit factor would be 19.8. Might have to make X's worth 11 for this to work though.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Damon - just buy yourself an e-target, set the delay to zero, and have at it. ;)

12. kzin

kzin

mmmm,

I see I was looking at this the wrong way around.

I've approached it from the AR-Tactical or sloppy f-tr angle - re aim every shot under time pressure.

At a high level it would probably be a contest of how perfectly your f-open rig returns to center.

13. damoncali

I just bring it up because I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be a usable course of fire. It is high power, after all. Magazine or no, given how stable the typical f class setup is, getting 10 shots off in 70 seconds is workable. Maybe require a mag change if you're using one. Two slow fire sighters, and then ten for record. Do it twice and move back to 600/1000 and finish the match slow fire. I think it would be fun, and give people a reason to think outside the box a bit in terms of gun handling and tradeoffs.

rckendall likes this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

My only real objection to this would the targets used. In slow fire, the highest possible level of precision is the goal, and the small F-Class target scoring rings reflect that goal. So what is the realistic goal for rapid fire? IMO - it's not so much about gnat's a$$ precision, it's about maintaining reasonable precision (i.e. more like hitting a torso-sized target at those distances) under more stressful shooting conditions. In other words, it's not about shooting tiny groups, but more about making a hit/no hit. That kind of shooting already exists...it's called PRS. You could certainly try it in F-Class, but I would suggest using a more appropriate target than those used for slow fire and reducing the total number of rounds so people don't burn up their barrels.

rardoin likes this.
  15. damoncali

You'd probably want a different target. There are a bunch of standard and reduced targets used for XTC matches. One of those would probably work. Maybe an MR-31 (1.75" ten ring), or an SR-21 (2.12" ten ring). Rapid fire stages of cross course high power are a lot of fun - it's half of the national match course, and I think a lot of guys who have never shot sling might get a kick out of it - it brings a different kind of marksmanship into it. I wouldn't want to replace every match (or even most of them) with one with a rapid stage, but once or twice a season would fun. Maybe it's not as fun in practice as it is in my head.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  16. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I wonder how girlie would do??