f class at 200y?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Regnar, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Regnar

Regnar Silver $$ Contributor

Are there any rim fire fclass matches being held beyond 200 yards?

2. Mikey_P

Mikey_P sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

If, by chance, you live in the southeast PA area, there is a 200 yd rimfire prone match held every second Tuesday of the month - April through Oct. F-class shooters are welcome. Be aware that you will have to pull and score targets in the pits as part of the match. PM me if you would like additional details. As far as rimfire matches beyond 200 yds, I do not know of any...

Mike

Iggyort likes this.
  3. Regnar

Even 200 is what Im looking for. wehave a 200 uard line at the club on the mid range. i would like to know which targets are all you all using? do you run it like a regular f class match? pit changes , lines ect?

4. Mikey_P

For targets - we slingshooters shoot the standard 200 yd NRA smallbore target which has a 2 MOA 10-ring. The F-class shooters shoot a 100 yd NRA smallbore target which, at 200 yds, would have 1 MOA 10-ring. So, it's basically the same as fullbore matches where the scoring rings for F-class are half the size of the standard midrange and longrange bulls.

The match that I have mentioned is very similar to a fullbore match in that you do have to pull targets. Only difference is that you also have to score the target. We do not have enough shooters to have a separate scorer back on the firing line. It all works out pretty well. Just happy to have such a match within 45 minutes of my house. Hope this helps.

Mike

Regnar likes this.
  5. kzin

kzin

Given that the official f-class targets are metric the logical choice for 200yd would be the international C2 200yd target.
    That would be just a shade easier than using the A25 100 yd sling target at 200.

Every time we talk about a 200yd rimfire match half of our potential shooters immediately get intimidated. Half of the rest balk at adding a 20 moa ramp to their rifle. It never gets far.

6. longbow

longbow

I have A Vudoo 22RF with Grayboe Stock.Will be installing a Silhouette stock also ,dual purpose gun! Will be cutting down a 10 round mag to a 5 round mag to be Silo legal. Can use for F class Matches like that in 22RF !! ,Precision Shooting Matches and Silhouette 22Rf Matches. What more does a guy need? My Leupold 6.5x20 with 1/2 " Dot. Center optics at 100 yds, you have plenty of elevation for 25 yd to 200 yd. I use a 20 moa rail with Burris Sig Rings to center Dot right at 100 yds.......Will do a post when I get the Silo stock......

Mikey_P likes this.
  7. Mikey_P

Yeah, sadly a lot of people think that the .22LR is only good for plinking at 25yds and shooting at 50yds (heaven forbid!) for them is really stretching things out.

Maybe if your club has some kind of 200yd "fun" match, it would get people's interest without creating undue pressure to compete. Just a thought....

And, just a side note as to what can be done with the .22LR at longer ranges - our 200yd match is a 400 agg. Nobody has ever cleaned it. Highest score over the years has been a 398-23X (set by an 80 year old shooter, no less!!!). So, thats 38/40 shots at 2 MOA or better at 200yds - with a sling.

Mike

8. lion

lion

I have cleaned it twice. 400-29x and 400-30x. BUT: this was with a one piece rest and custom benchrest rifle with a 36x scope. I can't imagine how much harder it would be using peeps and a sling. I admire the guys that shoot this way. Maybe if I was 27 instead of 77 I would give it a try. That 80 year old gentleman is in a lot better shape than I am.

Wayne

Mikey_P likes this.
  9. lion

lion

I just studied this thread a little more and now I'm really confused.
    Mikey_P: I have a question because I don't understand the A-21 target. The target seems to show a small 10 ring inside a larger 10 ring. No X ring. The inside ring appears to be 2 min diameter but the outer ring is over 4 min. How is this thing scored? We shoot the SR 42 C at 200 and it appears to be about the same size but with an X ring. Can you unconfuse me? Thanks, Wayne

10. Regnar

Which target at 100?

Which target at 200?

Are you firing multiple shots per target m

11. lion

lion

At our matches we are not shooting f class, just benchrest. At 100 we use the NRA a-25 and shoot two 10 shot groups. At 200 we use SR 42 C targets and shoot eight 5 shot groups. Wayne

12. Mikey_P

Wayne - I have an A-21 center sitting in front of me as I type this and *think* that I may have some answers. The small, thin ring that physically measures approx. 2" in diameter is, indeed, the X-ring. The first heavy ring that physically measures 4" in diameter is the 10-ring. Remember that we are posting this target at 200 yds, so the 4" dia ring is, in reality, 2 MOA at this distance. And the X-ring, although physically 2" in diameter, is 1 MOA at 200 yds. Maybe what is adding to the confusion is that the "10" is printed at the center of the target, instead of off to the sides of the X-ring and there is no "X" printed in the very center.

Hope this helps!

Mike

13. Mikey_P

Regnar - All shots are fired at a distance of 200 yds. 40 shots for record in 30 minutes with a four minute sighter period. All shots are put onto the the same target, similar to a highpower match. After each shot, the target is pulled down into the pits, marked and scored. The target frame is then run back up for the next shot. The slingshooters shoot on the standard NRA A21 200yd smallbore target. The F-class shooters shoot on the standard NRA 100 yd smallbore target which is physically smaller. Hope this helps!

Mike

Regnar likes this.
  14. lion

lion

Mikey_P; Thanks for the reply. The target you are shooting is 1/2 inch smaller 10 ring than what we shoot. For f clas at 200 the 100 yard target would be tough. Wayne.

15. kzin

kzin

the dimensions of the a25 and a21 are part of the smallbore rules. chapter 4
    http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/SBR/2018-sbr-book.pdf

sr42 , mr52 , mr63fc in highpower rules

c2 in international rules

Strangely there are no official NRA 200 yard f-class targets. Highpower only goes down to 300(mr63fc) and smallbore only goes up to 100 (a33)
    The obvious extrapolations would be the c2 international target for smallbore and an f-class version of the mr52 200 yard sling target for HP.

10 ring sizes of likely candidates for 200 yd f-class:
    mr52fc* 1.79"
    a25 2"
    c2 2.4"
    mr52 3.79"
    a21 4"
    sr42 4.56"

I would say the 3 targets with 10-rings around 2" are genuine f-class difficulty and the 3 around 4" are more sling oriented, depending on your shooters and wind conditions maybe still the best choice.

* mr52fc not a standard target. I make my own for our local 200yd HP 'f-class'

Mikey_P likes this.
  16. Iggyort

Iggyort

What is the name of the Club in Eastern PA?

Is this a day time or afternoon Match ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  17. Iggyort

Iggyort

18. Mikey_P

The club is Souderton-Harleysville Forestry Fish & Game. The match begins at 6:30 PM, second Tuesday of the month. The targets are well-lighted as you will be shooting at dusk. Also, this is an "any sight" match and everybody uses a scope. I've tried irons once, but couldn't get enough contrast with the rear aperture to shoot a competitive score..

Mike

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  19. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

Regnar - get in touch with George Minerich @ Minneapolis Rifle Club in St. Francis, MN. He runs a 200 yard rimfire prone match about once per year. My initial recollection is that they used to use some type of Palma target for 200 yd. rimfire matches, as that was what it was supposed to simulate:

Rimfire @ 50 yds = centerfire @ 200 yds.
    Rimfire @ 100 yds = centerfire @ 600 yds.
    Rimfire @ 200 yds = centerfire @ 1000 yds.

Regnar likes this.