Ezell PDT Tuner thread specs

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by GenePoole, Sep 8, 2019.

1. GenePoole

GenePoole

My google fu must suck today; either that or google just sucks anymore trying to find any specific information. The more terms I put in to try and narrow the search, the wider the results I get.

I've installed these things before, and had a nice print of the specs to turn the muzzle to attach one of these things, but can't find it at present. Mike's web site is no help.

Anyone have a link, or a copy of the installation print? Best I can measure, it has a 0.850 minor diameter and something greater than 30 TPI (my gage only goes to 30).

[​IMG]

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  2. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

3. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Is that what you are looking for?
    CW

dmoran, GenePoole and Dusty Stevens like this.
  4. GenePoole

GenePoole

That's it! Thanks a lot!

dmoran and Mulligan like this.
  5. dirtworks5

dirtworks5 Gold $$ Contributor

Be careful as he makes 2 sizes.

6. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

Don’t miss the 45 chamfer it’ll cut the orings

7. GenePoole

GenePoole

Oh? That's interesting. I was trying to work out the discrepancy. My measurement of the minor diameter was 0.850 which would be a sloppy 1B fit for a 0.875x32 and downright OOS for a 0.870x32. Any info on other sizes?

Definition: (0.875)-32 UNC 1B
    (Internal)

Diameters
    Major diameter: 0.8879 / 0.8750
    Pitch diameter: 0.8631 / 0.8547
    Minor diameter: 0.8486 / 0.8412

Definition: (0.87)-32 UNC 1B
    (Internal)

Diameters
    Major diameter: 0.8829 / 0.8700
    Pitch diameter: 0.8581 / 0.8497
    Minor diameter: 0.8436 / 0.8362

8. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

9. GenePoole

GenePoole

My customer (who supplied the tuner) has an email in to you. I was waiting to hear back from him before I make the cut. I'll call you direct though.

10. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

The print provided above is correct for your tuner with one exception. The tuner is threaded to .875-32 and is within a 2b spec. Every tuner is checked with a class 2 go/no go plug gauge.
    The print mistakenly says 1a.

11. GenePoole

GenePoole

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

12. gunsandgunsmithing

You're welcome! The reason that I hand wrote .870 on the print is because a few people were leaving the major at a full
    .875 sharp vee. This is incorrect practice and rather debate that with others, I simply wrote it on the print. As you probably know, the male should have a flat that is equal to 1/8th of the pitch wide. That's roughly
    .005 in height, hence the .870 major finished od. If the thread is is left sharp at .875, it will cut the o-ring when installing the tuner.
    It was a rare problem but writing it on the print seemed the simplest way to prevent it from happening in the future.
    Let me know if I can be of further help.--Mike Ezell

13. Kings X

Kings X

Mike I have a question.
    Why do you stop the tuner at the muzzle? Turn bore is .75” and muzzle diameter is 1.00”. This leaves a .10” gap between barrel shoulder back of tuner.

14. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Richard, I don't know about Mike's tuner, but on my tuner if you stop it at a shoulder on the barrel, you will have a chance of the tuner vibrating. Mine were made to have the turner to stop hard at the muzzle.

15. gunsandgunsmithing

It can be reduced to less gap. Just maintain the .500L o-ring journal and the 1.000L thread. That isn't really a critical dimension on my tuners. I've done them both ways. With my tuner, it should not ever be bottomed out at the crown nor the shoulder. Also, the print calls for a 45 degree bevel at the o ring journal....I don't think I've ever used a 45 there. I simply kiss it with the threading insert. As someone mentioned earlier, the purpose of that bevel is so the o ring doesn't have to ride over a sharp step at the journal.

16. Kings X

Kings X

Butch, I normally run your tuners. And bottom them out on the muzzle. Sometimes the rings come lose. Not a problem tightening them for a young guy, but I need to pay better attention being an old guy.
    I had weight room on my F Class barrel so went with Mike’s. When I first installed the tuner, I thought I had missed a dimension with the big gap between shoulder and brake. I took it on myself to reduce the first diameter to .740” x .100” so the muzzle will be inside the tuner but still bottoms out on the muzzle. Now the gap at the rear of the tuner is still there but much smaller. Looks right.
    Mike I left the threads sharp on my first installation. Cut the O ring into many pieces before I got to the smooth surface. I now top the threads with a file and my angle is about a 30 degree long slope.
    I like both tuners. Each is different but both effective. You just have to learn how much adjustment for what condition.
    Thanks both of you for making great products.