Ever make a pilot bushing?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Shawnba67, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a one time need for a pilot bushing and am strongly considering just making one myself. VS having a custom made
    What material should I be thinking? Brass? Copper? Any old steel? Tool steel?
    This is for a self job not any form if customer. Course Id like decent results.
    Any advice or is it as easy as it seems? Well easy to sub .0003 tolerances lol

2. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair Gold $$ Contributor

I take it u have a lathe and a small enough boring bar to do it
    if your going to use it only a couple times brass may work great
    Or maybe some pre heat treated 4140 for better wear or even some 1018 for a few more uses.
    Brass would work maybe only one use but if done accurately should be great without hurting the rifling

3. ab_bentley

ab_bentley I fix stuff, sometimes.... Silver $$ Contributor

To make it right, you need a cylindrical grinder.

Adam

4. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

If you have a reamer for the ID, you can do the OD first and probably get pretty good results. That way if you don't get the diameter you want on the outside, cut it off and do it again. then drill, bore, and ream the ID.

If you do the inside diameter first, you'll probably get a taper as the result of flex from tool pressure, no matter how small a cut you make.

If your tailstock is centered to .0001", which most aren't, then you can use a tailstock with an interchangeable center....

Lots of time and expensive tooling to make a piece you can buy for $12.

Now I DO make my own resizing bushings. That way I can play with them until I get he neck tension I want. Worth an hour on the lathe.

--Jerry

Cloudrepair likes this.
  5. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Lots of time and expensive tooling to make a piece you can buy for $12.

Now I DO make my own resizing bushings. That way I can play with them until I get he neck tension I want. Worth an hour on the lathe.

--Jerry[/QUOTE]
    So.... whats a neck bushing cost?
    I apologize for the friendly ribbing.
    And I appreciate all the advice.
    Thank you all.

ppc and Cloudrepair like this.
  6. carlsbad

Yes, a neck bushing is cheap. But they are much easier to make and I can have my reloading setup going in an hour vs days while waiting for a bushing. Also, I avoid having to buy 3 bushings to make sure I got the one I want.

I prefer to buy them. I only make them when I'm wanting to reload that day. But he .3375 one I made for my 308 has served me well.

--Jerry

Cloudrepair likes this.
  7. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I made one out of brass and it worked just fine.:D:p

Paul

carlsbad likes this.
  8. carlsbad

Paul,
    did it show cut marks from the rifling? This would be one of the applications I would be concerned about brass. Of course the lands are pretty wide so maybe my concern is unwarranted. --Jerry

9. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Jerry, nothing that I could see by eye. Just needed one to get me out of a bind. Time wise that is.:D:D

Paul

carlsbad likes this.
  10. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I've made them before using both steel and brass. I do the ID first then put the bushing between centers and finish the ID. I don't care if there's a little taper on the OD. Just needs to be up to size on one end. Not hard to do using a piece of flat stock and 400 for the final few tenths. Sometimes we over think things, sometimes--nah most of the time.

11. carlsbad

With 35 years in he nuclear industry, I'm more guilty than most of overthinking.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  12. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've made a few. I ream and polish the id to size, then machine the od close, and polish it to size. Then part it off and de-burr. Watch the heat if you want it to truly be to size, within a tenth or so.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    butchlambert and carlsbad like this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

If your setup is right you dont need a bushing at all. And in some ways the chambers turn out better without one.

DickE, butchlambert, ridgeway and 2 others like this.
  14. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

In the 21st century
    Whom would have thought a simple pilot would require a rocket scientist to produce such a simple item.

WTF has this country become!!

15. GenePoole

GenePoole

Just curious, what do you do? I was a "nuke" in the Navy, but 6 years was more than enough nuclear industry for me.

16. carlsbad

I'm the Engineering Manager at a nuclear power plant. The plant has been shut down permanently and my staff and I are managing spent fuel, licensing, and eventual shipping to DOE. All my comments here are mine, and not my employer's. --Jerry

Jesswil61 and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  17. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

In many cases nowadays, American ingenuity is called "Google". Lol.
    Making these bushings is very easy and you can be very precise in doing it.

18. carlsbad

OK. I take back my concern about taper. They are shorter than I was remembering. --Jerry

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

San Onofre? Sad deal

carlsbad likes this.
  20. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You are correct. I had rather my reamer follow a taper bored hole than a bushing following a wandering bore.

Jesswil61 and ridgeway like this.