Even The Wife Says Get a Creedmoor!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Phil3, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Phil3

Phil3

My wife knows little about guns, but when I mentioned my latest build in 6.5 x 47 on a Howa, she asked,

"doesn't Howa make a rifle"?

Well yes, but I said not in the caliber I want (6.5 x 47). She asked,

"don't they make something close"?

Now I am squirming a bit, because Howa does make a KRG Bravo chassis rifle in a 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor, which IS right there with the 6.5 x 47. I answered,

"well, yes they do, but...". Then I hear,

"so why not just get that in their caliber"?

I was beginning to realize there is a part of me that just does not always like to go along with the flow unless there is a compelling reason. Just look at me using a Howa vs the ubiquitous Remington for a factory action rifle. The Creedmoor craze is kind of like the near cult following around my San Francisco bay area for Apple products. I used to spend a fair amount of time in a Starbucks around here, and on any given day, there were about 6 - 10 laptops in use by customers. I observed that with the exception of one or two, ALL were Apple. Pretty amazing for Apple's 10% market share, but people around here literally worship at the altar of Apple. It feels to me the same with the Creedmoor...or being a conservative out here in la-la land.

I think there may be another thread on here about the Creedmoor craze, so sorry if late to that party, but I will stick with my lonely 6.5 x 47 Lapua, hoping that with some careful rifle construction, barrel work, meticulous reloading, and skilled shooting (well, maybe), I can show a Creedmoor a thing or two. I just had to tell the wife,

"well, because I just like the cartridge, always have, and I am not one to do what everyone else is doing unless they can give me concrete reasons for doing that are relevant, credible, and matter to me".

I just have this feeling that if I asked many just what a Creedmoor is going to give me that a 6.5 x 47 doesn't (other than factory ammo availability), I might be hearing a lot of crickets. Maybe I feel sorry for the 6.5 x 47, but it will have a happy home here.

Just my $0.02.

Phil

hogpatrol and Snuggie like this.
  2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Get the little woman the mentioned 6.5 Creed put a Vortex AMG on top and see if she can kick your a$$ with it......;).......Only Playin'

Regards
    Rick

22BRGUY, mikeinct, hogpatrol and 3 others like this.
  3. simo hayha

simo hayha

Time to get a girlfriend ;)

4. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

If you really want to be unique, chamber up a wildcat.

Back in college, I used a RPN HP calculator. No one ever asked to use it more than once.

Had that mind set ever since.

5. riverwolf1

riverwolf1 Silver $$ Contributor

If my wife said this, my next question would have been do you want to go to the gun shop with me to get it!

mbkmkk, Jesse Gietzen, Bc'z and 2 others like this.
  6. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

The first thing you'll notice as a Creedmoor owner is no Nations seventh Army is safe from the awesome firepower!
    The second is your wife will be more obedient and your dog will find you more attractive :cool:

7. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Tell your wife that she’s a genius and you’re going to buy both to compare.;)

Nature Boy, 'Freak, Milo 2.0 and 6 others like this.
  8. ebb

ebb

Tell her" You didn't marry average, neither did I, so why should I have an average rifle?"

Nature Boy, 'Freak, ckaberna and 6 others like this.
  9. theMadAlaskan

theMadAlaskan Gold $$ Contributor

An HP 41CV took me through four years of college and several years of work after that. RPN rocks! :)

10. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Tell the wife to check the record books for the ones held by the Creedmoor! Crickets are all you will hear. Who the hell wants to run with the crowd anyway? Kudos to you for sticking to your guns! ;)

Paul

'Freak and riverwolf1 like this.
  11. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

You can't trust her judgement, look who she married...

Delfuego, Jeff, joshb and 8 others like this.
  12. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

Calculator? I still have my slide rule and all my fingers, so I'm good to go.

dave@aDave and joshb like this.
  13. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Gold $$ Contributor

My wife bought me a Razor HD. Says I have to put it on a Creed.

simo hayha and boltfluter like this.
  14. GSPV

I’ve still got mine and it still works. Much faster than algebraic notation.

With that said, once I found MatLab, I no longer did a lot of calculator work.

theMadAlaskan likes this.
  15. GSPV

I started college on the line between slide rules and calculators. I can still work a slip stick. I have one around here somewhere.

But, dude, when you get on MatLab, you just don’t want to go back.

16. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

When I was in school we were required to put away our pee chees prior to a test.
    I'm old:cool:

17. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

I agree. But it's fun to sit in a meeting with younger grads and figure a rough approximation answer in your head, they marvel and have no clue without their computer.

18. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

I don't tell the wife how to cook, She doesn't tell me what rifle to buy!
    Go with the 6.5x47 and never look back.

Joe Salt

19. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

6.5x47, 20 Practical, 17HMR, etc., etc., is Greek language and writing in my household.:D

20. mikeinct

mikeinct

Get her to pay for it...

'Freak and Milo 2.0 like this.