Epoxy Bedding Question

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Ryanlilb83, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ryanlilb83

Ryanlilb83

I have read a bunch of how to's on bedding an action. I have bedded one rifle so far and had one small issue. A small amount of epoxy got on the threads of the action bolt and glued into the action. I was able to fix this but I have two more rifle I would like to bed and wanted to know how do you keep epoxy out of the action bolts? One rifle is a Remington 700 LA and a Savage LA.

Any advise would be helpful and appreciated.

2. dsculley

dsculley

I cut some allthread to use in place of action bolts. I treat the threads with my mold release (shoe polish) and place them in the action. Wrap them with tape so they are centered in the pillars then insert the allthread bolts from the top as I place the action in the epoxy bed. Then secure the action to the stock with electrical tape (paper underneath to protect the stock). No way to get epoxy into the action bolt holes this way.

hoz53 and 6MMsteve like this.
  3. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

this is how i do in then when im ready to remove the action i chuck the allthread in my battery drill and back them out before i pop the stock loose.

4. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

I coat the action screws with Vaseline, use a Q tip,and put some Vaseline in the stock screw holes and lastly in the actions screw holes. Never had a problem.

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Get a long socket head cap screw. Take a dremel cutoff saw blade and cut a screwdriver slot in the end after you cut the head off. You can back it out then. That way theres not a ton of threads to deal with then do what was suggested above with the tape and release agent.

hpshooter likes this.
  6. Ryanlilb83

Ryanlilb83

Thanks guys, sounds like simple yet effective way to do this. As soon as the barreled action returns from gunsmith I will try it on the Remington 700.

7. mram10

mram10 Guest

I dip the action screws in paste wax. Devcon gets in the action, but once it dries it pops out easily. Never had a problem.

8. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

This may cover more than you are asking, but it is GREAT advice. From A to Z. And here is what my first job looked like following Richard Franklin's advice: http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

After.jpg

DickE likes this.