ELR Rimfire Challenge, ELR RimFire Event

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by micmac, Jun 21, 2018.

1. micmac

micmac

2. FishNM

FishNM

Is there realistic ballistics to .22LR at these distances to even consider it skill or luck?

3. micmac

micmac

Its realistic , in same way as King of Two Miles ELR , shooter with best preparation and wind reading skill is going to win. There is always a factor of luck in any ELR but its mostly atention to detail in preparation. Its ELR with limited horsepower that levels the playing field.

Centerfire bigbore King of 2 miles took 4 years to get hits on two miles targets and half of the competitiors dont make it much past 1 mile , and ELR central records are i think around 2000y mark.

I dont expect the 500-600 y records to fall in the first edition of the competiiton (record only cout if target is hit on first shot and 3 consecutive shots more or less removing lucky shot from the table.). I also expect that most will fall out of the comp around 300y. Even so once people start colecting seem experience things will advance. Of course balistic aps or kestrels will be needed on rimfire comp just as much as on centerfire

Rough drops and windage for 4m/s full value wind range in meters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    daleboy and Archer like this.
  4. micmac

micmac

The after-match on the steel from the Big Sky ELR Challenge ranges were from left to right 223, 337, 395, 421, 556.

[​IMG]

5. steve123

steve123

Did anyone use handloaded rounds with custom bullets and if so how did they do?

Yes, I know it's rimfire but I've seen posts of people doing just that.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

This sounds like a lot of fun.

pirate ammo likes this.
  7. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

get out your 10/22,,think of the Talisman,,and you will ace it,,:rolleyes:

Dgd6mm likes this.
  8. micmac

micmac

All used standard ammo and it seems new ELR .22lr record is set at 395yards , but was close to being set at 421y

Record requires first 3 rounds to impact ,on 12x12 target. No walking in fire
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    daleboy and steve123 like this.
  9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

26 shooters, good turn out. Sounds like a lot of fun.

10. B23

B23

Just curious, but why was this limited to only 22LR and not the other rimfires like 22 Mag, 17 HMR, and 17 WSM??? Except for a weight limit, I don't think they put any kind of cartridge limit on the centerfire ELR Central shoots.

mongo chicago likes this.
  11. micmac

micmac

.22LR is the most widespread also most used as trainer for all shooting sports , with other rimfires you would end up with 17WSM and need a 1000y range and all other calibers would be obsolete.

daleboy likes this.
  12. B23

B23

I can appreciate that but I guess my point is this is supposed to be ELR and other than weight they don't put any kind of limit on the centerfires so why put one on the rimfires. Don't get me wrong, I think all this stuff is very cool but if it's supposed to be Rimfire ELR then why limit it to 22lr only. Maybe it should be called 22LR only ELR Rimfire Challenge.

I think it would be pretty cool to see how far out some of these top shooters can reach with the 17 HMR or 17 WSM. Not sure they could make hits at 1000yds but it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these very talented folks reach 600-800 maybe.

Do you know if they were limited to shooting a specific ammo or was the ammo open to any 22lr ammo?

13. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Looks like a lot of fun with a 22 rimfire...some impressive shooting going on.

14. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I think you would have to put the other highpower rimfires in a separate category since they have a higher velocity and 600yd would be much easier for them than a 22rf.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

What about high velocity 22rf? Is it allowed like going from a 6br to a 6dasher to get a little advantage? Not taking into account the accuracy difference would a stinger be better than match ammo at a few hundred fps less? Is that even allowed?

16. B23

B23

I hear what you're saying but since they don't do that with the centerfire ELR and those events are pretty much wide open to whatever you want to shoot, why not do the same thing with the ELR Rimfire event as well?

It certainly can't be a cost saving issue for not letting the HMR's or WSM's in because it looked like some pretty high dollar custom 22lr rifles with $2000 NF scopes on them that won and since there aren't any custom actions made for the 17 WSM, allowing them in could actually be a cost saving thing.

17. micmac

micmac

Its .22LR competition not rimfire in general . I think going any rimfire would greatly reduce both appeal and participation numbers.

In .22LR high velocity rounds are actualy of no benefit to such comp and no one uses them, yes there is a bit less drop but drift is ectual same or more than subsonic plus ,by having super sonic and subsonic flight its less predictable than just subsoonic.

18. steve123

steve123

I agree totally.

But, it would be cool to see how the other rimfires compare. Separate division maybe?? and it would increase attendance I would think. You might not want to hassle with more attendance, or have the time for another division, is the thing.

I wish I had the money to travel all over the states and try out different matches!!!

19. rolltide

rolltide

You and me both Steve! It would be awesome to have the time to do it along with the money!

steve123 likes this.
  20. micmac

micmac

Dgd6mm likes this.