ELR optics: Leupold vs Nightforce

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by MRogersII, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:28 AM.

1. MRogersII

MRogersII Silver $$ Contributor

Looking for firsthand ELR experience with the Leupold MK 5 HD 5-25 vs NF ATACR or BEAST. I have extensive experience with the NF BR series but not the others. Developing a 1,500+ rifle and looking for optics guidance. Would have gone direct to the NF but I had the opportunity to handle the Leupold and the glass appeared as good, maybe better. Not sure if the L tracking/erector system is comparable to NF, or no. That being the case, thought I would ask.
    Thank you
    Michael

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM
    dmoran likes this.
  2. MRogersII

Did I ask a dumb question here....?

3. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

No dumb questions here. May be that most don't want to get into what that question will turn into. This vs That many times never gets answers, only agree to disagree. I love my Leupold scopes. That said, Night force scopes are tough to beat. I'll also say this, if you have an upper end Leupold, you won't do tons better AND you'll have as good of scope as you will probably need. I Don't think any of those statements can be challenged or argued. I hear many say Leupold isn't what they were or customer service failed them etc. Many of us have had those same experiences with most if not all manufacturers. Night force has done the same to a couple friends of mine. Personally I haven't been let down by any scope or company. Sure some are better scopes but most often you get what you pay for. Not sure any of that helped but No dumb questions here.

BenPerfected likes this.
  4. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

First off - the only dumb question is the one not asked. I have had both scope brands. Leupold is out. Nightforce is in. If you have experience with Nightforce and like them, why change? If there is something you don't like about NF I could understand.

5. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

In my personal experience Nightforce is great until there is a problem. I have three friends that have had serious problems with warranty work from Nightforce. I prefer the Nightforce scopes personally. If they had the Leupold warranty you would have the best of both worlds. I own many Leopold scopes as well, and they are a very good bang for the buck. Their warranty is the best I have ever experienced and have only had to use it once in 25 yrs. I have purchased my last Nightforce. :(

Paul

6. MRogersII

Thank you all for the feedback. I guess the real question is, will the higher MOA Leupold track with the NF?

7. FatBoy

FatBoy

You lay your money down and take your chances. No matter how much the scope costs, they can all have issues. (Edit, removed. Added nothing to the conversations)

On warranty, I have used Nightforces, Leupolds and Vortex. They were all basically identical. I got the scope back with essentially NTF but it worked when I got it back. I am convinced they no longer tell the customer what the issue is as the internet will blow it way out of proportion.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    swd and dkhunt14 like this.
  8. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

Had the same experience with Leupold. I had to send the same scope back to them four times. Three times to correct the tracking problem and the fourth because the reticle would rotate with every shot. Overpriced garbage to me.

9. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I sent a Leupold Longrange target scope in and it came back same as it was sent in. Not holding point of aim and I am not talking a little bit. Matt

dmoran likes this.
  10. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I don't think the Mark 5HD has been around long enough for a true, fair comparison. On snipers hide, their has been some good discussions concerning the Mark 5, right now the balance is love it or hate it. On the hate side, you have guys stepping down in quality of the optics they normally buy and are not impressed, then guys that bought and liked. I purchased a 3-18 Mark 5, I never got around to using it and ended up selling, looked dang nice and I wanted to give it a go.

You also mentioned you handled the Leupold and feel glass as good or better, were you looking through the newer version F1 Atacr's,or the older one? I can say, I have both the NF F1 5-25 and 7-35 and glass is superb, along with tracking.
    It is a wash on scope travel between the Mark 5 and the NF 5-25 Atacr, 120moa to 125(NF) moa. The 7-35 NF has 100 moa of travel, which one can compensate for by using a 40 moa scope base, or if it is integral, buy a mount with the desired cant. With the 7-35, I can tell you a target at 2K looks like it is at 1k on 35 power, and I love to spot my own shots, so a big deal to me.
    I know absolutely nothing on the Beast, took too long to come to market at too high of a price for me, I do not ever look at opinions on it as I will never own one.

dmoran likes this.
  11. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Mongo,

I actually had to send my Leupold back 3 times as well. But, they did finally upgrade the turrets to the M1 turrets which fixed it for good. All at no cost to me. Nightforce said my friends scopes were fixed and that was that. Time to move on to Kahles it seems.:D:D

Paul

12. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Like I said. You'll hear from both sides. Bottom line can't go wrong with either scope. You will not find a scope manufacturer that hasn't had complaints from either quality or customer care. In general you'll spend much more on a Night Force than a Leupold.

13. ronemus

ronemus Silver $$ Contributor

Just mentioning a new kid on the block - Burris XTR II 8-40x50. It has 60 MOA total elevation and windage, and a nice reticle for holding off. The clicks are positive and the glass looks good edge to edge. I saw a Black Friday deal and bought one for a rifle project that's underway. The street price is ~$1030, so it's a good value. An open box special was $800, so I couldn't resist. Does anybody else have experience with this one?

14. MRogersII

I am still hoping to hear from an F class guy who can say, "I have a L Mark 5 HD and I use it in F CLASS matches and....." or "....and I do a lot of long range target shooting where I am regularly adjusting up and down through 75% of the scopes adjustment range and my experience has been...."

Not to be high maintenance or overly specific in my info request but..... you have not because you ask not.

Thank you all for the quality feedback. I appreciate it.

Michael

15. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/so-what-about-leupold-mark-5.6869995/

Sort through ^^^^^ that, you can figure who is blowing smoke, who is sincere.