ELR Central World Record Event.

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by DocUSMCRetired, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

The rifle type is not going to be an advantage in this game. A 50lb 5ft long rifle with a 24" wide rigid bipod is not any more sniper-ish or practical than an f-open rifle.

2. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I'm interested in this format, and yes, I do think they need to standardize a format and have
    a sanctioning body. I also think the concept is in it's infancy and will grow and refine as it grows in interest. Plate size has already been addressed I believe. Caliber class, distances? I just hope it doesn't go all PMS. I am lucky to have access to 2600 yards close
    to my place and chose a caliber to run there. 338LM Imp. I toyed with a Big Boy but, realistically don't have access to test and run longer. (how many do?) I'm excited to see the sport grow. Alex, if you do a match up North, I'll do it.. My rig should be done in a couple of
    weeks. gunna start thowing big lead soon!

dmoran likes this.
  3. Alex Wheeler

I have a 338 edge that is too big and heavy to take hunting. I am going to rebarrel to 338 lapua imp and see what it will do. Like you said, very early, but we have a lot of guys out this way with big stuff. I would love to hold a match here.

dmoran likes this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

I am guessing this new record will be sub 2000 yards. 3 out of 3 makes this way cooler than the keep shooting until you accidentally hit some huge target deal IMO.

5. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

The results on THE day will be determined by weather conditions. There will be very proficient shooters at that event. Shooters that have shot beyond a mile in various conditions that will be prepared for range and conditions to a certain extent. Many will be kidding themselves to even think they can play at that range let alone hit a 3'x3' steel plate. The 3/3 cold bore is another one of the things guaranteed to make most shooters fail at making all 3 shots count. I'd love to attend but would be kidding myself if I thought I could hit it once let alone 3 times. 1500 yards is one thing. Beyond 2000 is completely another story. Good luck, I would certainly like to hear your results from this event.

6. davidpatton

davidpatton Silver $$ Contributor

So us guys on the east coast need a place to practice....suggestions for Nc, Sc, Va, Ga, or Tn? Id love to get involved, just no where to practice around here.

dmoran likes this.
  7. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Shoot a smaller caliber to a 50-MOA or further distance, is good practice and not as much distance needed to do it in. @birddog and those guys at the "Dasher Dome" get out pretty far. There in TN if not mistaken.
    Donovan

8. davidpatton

davidpatton Silver $$ Contributor

They are about six hours from me. I may have to message them and see what it takes for a north carolina boy to get to come play. Lol

birdog and dmoran like this.
  9. bigngreen

bigngreen

I like the fact that a guy will have to have his whole system wired tight, you aren't just going to show up and be able to tune your ballistics on site. It'll favor guys who have worn out barrels shooting cold bore targets at what ever range they can get lasered, then you'll have to put two more on target, dig it a LOT!!

10. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

this is based on the KISS Principle.

A stock, out of the box Savage SS 338 LM can be competitive out to 2000yards with a good scope, with practice.
    Allow a rest, and everybody will need a $1500+ SEB rest.
    The 36" square steel target is a very simple thing to score, hit or miss.
    The record is easy, scores almost like the Ko2M.
    As the program advances, just increase the distance.

The only thing I would change is the weight limit. Shooter has to be able to hold the rifle over his head and count to fifteen out loud (one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, etc) in less than a minute.
    To me, an important part of this is reasonable weight limits.

Rich
    :)

Zero333 likes this.
  11. dmoran

Rich / @IdahoSharpshooter

Your right, forgot that the SEB Bipod & Joy-Pod are a little cheaper.... lol
    Think the Tier One Carbon and the Dolphin's maybe to, but all are more then my rests.
    Thinking some of those Tripods may cost a little extra.

BipodJoy3.jpg
    BTripod.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Toby Bradshaw likes this.
  12. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

Before clamoring for a sanctioning body (or bodies), which I'm in favor of, take a step back. This "discipline" is very new and still evolving. We're going to continue to see people advance the course of fire and equipment until something hits that is worth repeating, at which point, you can safely say there is (or will be) a "sanctioning body".

It's so expensive and hard to shoot (it requires, well, an ELR range, and target handling isn't exactly what we're used to in BR or high power), that it's going to be inherently different than anything shot competitively today. Just let it evolve and see where it goes. I personally don't give a hoot about world records, but it is very good to have a standard set of rules just to keep matches and equipment consistent. One of the bigger challenges is keeping the price of the equipment down to the point where more than handful of die hards are willing to pay for it.

Some of the comments here had me wondering, how cool would it be to make one mile benchrest a thing? That's very different than what the ELR matches have been to date, but would be interesting in its own right. Just not sure where you'd shoot such a match, but adapting the rules to the distance wouldn't be a huge challenge.

13. Alex Wheeler

I'd like it, but it would kill this sport. Most guys dont want to measure their groups. Shoot at a rock or plate and the misses look so close. Put it on paper and things dont look so good. I have seen it in matches I used to be involved it. Shooting at a plate is "fun" shooting at paper is "serious" and thats why the turnout was double for the steel matches. I am actually surprised they adopted this 3 for 3 rule. I love it, but there is no room for error. Similar to br, one mistake and you go home.

As far as sanctioning bodies go, it sounds like thats coming. I feel its needed, because guys are hesitant to get serious and build a rifle to do this without one.

14. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I can't help but think that there are different mindsets attracted to this. The PRS and benchrest guys are goign to see ELR very differently, which makes me wonder if ultimately, we wind up with a few ways to do it. A few things rattling around my head:

- PRS-style ELR matches with a varied course of fire and all manner of "practical" constraints applied to the rifles. This seems to be what's happening currently, sort of.
    - An extension of long range benchrest, just bigger heavier guns, and longer ranges.
    - 1200-1500 yard F class. (Barely counts as ELR, but seems like fun - ranges are a huge problem currently)
    - ELR steel plates - think prone silhouette at extended ranges, but a a standard course of fire. Ring/knock over the plate, and get a point.
    - .308/.223 only ELR class? Might be more practical for a lot of guys who don't want to spend a fortune or have access to a 3000 yard range.
    - something else entirely

15. Alex Wheeler

When it comes to rules and rifle types, the only advantage a BR rifle has is its ability to track and shoot groups quickly. If we take groups out of the equation they have no advantage over a rifle on a bipod (f-tr style), both are equally stable. I have seen where people that dont understand BR or rifles see BR rifles as having some magical accuracy advantage. The only thing they do better is track which allows fast shooting. Tracking does not make a rifle more accurate either. That other long range rifle series is a good example. Erik Cortina beat them bad on the first one so they scrambled to change the rules to ban single shots. Shows a big lack of rifle accuracy knowledge IMO.

284winner and IdahoSharpshooter like this.
  16. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone attracted to long range BR will probably have interest is my guess. I was into ELR before I ever accomplished crap in benchrest lol. I've not messed with it as serious, but now will again. I even ordered 375 bullets yesterday lol!

Tom

davidpatton and dmoran like this.
  17. Alex Wheeler

I got your stock ordered today too. A pink A5 super mag. I need to make up for undercharging you last time!!

Tom E, Zilla and dmoran like this.
  18. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Hot pink I hope

dmoran likes this.
  19. dmoran

22BRGUY, Hoodoo, Tom E and 4 others like this.
  20. MTlager

MTlager

Tom,

I still have your 2500 yard gong sitting here. Virgin !!!!

Tom E likes this.