1. agshooter

agshooter

I am planning to switch over to match rifle for XTC and go with an Eliseo R5 in 6br.

Unless I find a deal on a used setup, the plan is to use a Rem 40X action and RemAge barrel so I can do my own barrel swaps.
    I would also like to be able to swap in a 223 barrel for cheaper practice. Would I be better off just swapping bolt and barrel, or should I just pull out the barreled action and swap in another?

2. Hengehold

Hengehold Silver $$ Contributor

Swapping barrels nd swapping barreled actions is going to result in a loss of your wind zero. If that doesn’t matter to you then you are in business.

I swap barrels on my Barnard all the time and it works fine. Having to re-zero is a PITA though.

If you get separate barreled actions, you may consider getting a separate action-sleeve for each one to allow you to maintain your wind zero.

Good luck,
    -T

agshooter likes this.
  3. agshooter

agshooter

I know swapping barrels would, but thought swapping barreled actions may be repeatable.

4. Hengehold

With the Elesio stock, a rear sight mounts to the stock, not to the action. If you take the action out of the stock (aka. action sleeve) then you will lose the zero.

Once you get your hands on one of the Elesio rifles and take it apart it should become obvious.

If you mounted a barreled action into the action sleeve and had a separate action sleeve for each action that never came off then you would not have zero changes.

You can get a really close wind zero by bore sighting on a door knob . I find that this methodology only bites me in the ass when I encounter a fishtailing wind. On a range when it is consistently in the same direction then reading the pick-ups and drop-offs is easy and the off-center wind zero is not as critical.

-T

agshooter likes this.
  5. agshooter

agshooter

Doesn’t the scope mount to action sleeve? So I would need a separate barreled action, action sleeve, and scope if I want to use one chassis for two calibers (match and practice)? At that point I’m not saving too much

Sniper338 likes this.
  6. Hengehold

Yes , you will need separate barreled actions and action sleeves. I was going to do the same exact thing with my Barnard a few years ago. The barrel sleeve on the Barnard version of his stock is about half the cost of the stock!!

What parts are left to swap back and forth? The forend, buttplate assembly, pistol grip/trigger guard. So yes, there is a cost savings of a few hundred dollars (~$400?) if you swap the common parts back and forth rather than just build two completely independent rifles.

You may not need to get a second scope. It just depends on how repeatable the zero is when you replace the scope.

I use iron sights on my match rifles. If i leave the action sleave on my barreled action then I can remove the front and rear sights and leave the rear sight mount and front sight band on the gun. I do this every time I transport my rifle to and from the range. The zero is maintained all the way out to 1000yds.

-T

agshooter likes this.
  7. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

ag shooter. In years past this was not very feasible because of the use of Iron Sights. Trust me I tried to do what your doing. Chambered up 3 barrels on my Defiance Mutant action in 308, 6mmSwiss Match, and 6 SLR. The problem was loss of zero with the front and rear sights.
    Now with Optics I believe its a little more feasible to do. However I think it would be easier to have two scopes zeroed for each set up. One for the 223 and one with the 6BR. The Change from barrel to barrel can be quite a bit different zero form each other do to machining and barrel manufacturing difference's.
    Lets talk about how these two cases feed in an Eliseo. So the 6BR runs best in his R5 magazines which is different from the 223 Magazines so now your buying two different bottom metals from Gary which is no issue, I have three bottom metal on one of my Tube gun's as well. If you went with 6XC or something and the 223 then the RTS can do both cases.
    But in the end you will shoot only one and not swap back and forth like everyone else who does this and there is a ton of us out there with this same idea. I mean really.. 70gr 6mm Bullets at .015 each will be as cheap or cheaper than a 223 anyway.
    As a NRA High Power shooter and owner of Five Tube guns many with several barrels chambered for them, I can say I have been down this path.. LOL.
    Any way best of luck to you and welcome to the madness.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    agshooter likes this.
  8. agshooter

agshooter

Good point with the 6mm bullets as cheap or cheaper, may not be worth it. Barrel life of 6br should last a season as well.

9. agshooter

agshooter

I m also really considering the new UMR with R5 lower for 6br. Any reason not to gonUMR bs R5?

10. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Honestly I really think you should give Gary a Call. He has ben shooting Highpower for decades. He is not the type of guy who would steer you in the wrong Direction.
    I wish I could help you with the UMR question but I have no experience with them. I DO know I love my Mutant Defiance very very much. Smooth as glass that thing.

agshooter likes this.
  11. agshooter

agshooter

I plan to, just hate to bug the guy until I have cash in hand ready to move forward. Don’t want to waste anyone’s time

12. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Gold $$ Contributor

I'd stick with one, the 6BR. Although switching to another caliber sounds enticing, it costs time, materials (scope, barrel, ammo, etc) and time. When you could be learning how to maximize on the 6BR's extreme accuracy, you would be spending time changing over and rezeroing etc. If you want to shoot in volume, go 223, if you want to shoot in heaven, go the 6BR route and enjoy EVERY shot out the barrel!

agshooter likes this.
  13. agshooter

agshooter

I think I will just do that, 6br in the R5.
    Now to decide if I should stick with the Remington 40x action or bite the bullet for a Borden.

14. Hengehold

A friend who has several Elesio stocked rifles has told me that he thought the bolt manipulation in the rapids was a little faster with his factory Rem700. He said his bolt lift technique had to be very specific with his custom actions whereas his Rem700 allowed him to be more sloppy with his bolt manipulation in rapids. Maybe because looser tolerances allows for less binding of the bolt when cycling quickly?

Anyone else have experiences with this?

-T

agshooter likes this.
  15. Hengehold

Someone shot a 200-15x and 200-17x at 600yd with their Palma rifle at our last monthly match. He used an unmodified factory Rem700 action.
    -T

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    willbas and agshooter like this.
  16. swehrman

swehrman

Yes, that's been my experience as well, and others that I know have shared the same thoughts.

-- Scott

17. agshooter

agshooter

Thanks for all the input everyone. Spoke with Gary and he was very helpful and patient explaining the ins and outs to me.
    I’m planning to go with the UMR, just not sure if I want to do builders kit or complete rifle.
    Remage vs traditional barrel.