Electric Screwdriver/Neck turning

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Thekaiser, Dec 7, 2019.

1. golong

golong

I used this Ryobi for a while since the RPM's were reasonable https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4-Volt-Lithium-Screwdriver-HP34L/302648210

I stopped using it after I realized that being able to change the RPM based on how much I was taking off, or the diameter of the neck (smaller = faster). Dug though the project bins and made myself a jig that holds the turner, allows me to move the brass in and out, and has speed control. I did have to buy the joints, but everything else including the shell holders was already on-hand.

jig3.jpg

WillyTP likes this.
  2. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

What are the RPM's Francis?

3. JMayo

JMayo

15.oo hand held with 7.oo Chuck adapter.

4. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

5. gman47564

gman47564

I just started turning necks with a 21st century lathe and got a old Milwaukee 2 speed cordless screwdriver to power it.. seems to be working well...

6. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

7. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

JMS597 likes this.
  8. 338 dude

338 dude Silver $$ Contributor

I use one with my Hornaday neck turner due to a smaller size and lighter weight is great plus the trigger has 5FB61BD0-0B79-4A8D-89F0-5BDBE20BA3E4.jpeg forward or reverse without having to move another button very handy

9. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

Awesome setup. Perhaps you could help me build a robot in my likeness that can field my wife's gripes instead of me????

Mark W likes this.
  10. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Have we gotten to pumpkin wobble yet ?

11. golong

golong

mmmmm, they guys over in the induction annealer thread may be better at that. I tend to stop short of making things gripe-free.

coldboreshot likes this.
  12. JMS597

JMS597 Silver $$ Contributor

I use the same one with a PMA tool. Works great. A guy I shoot BR with pointed it out to me, and when I saw how well it worked I bought one the next day. It charges up pretty fast too.

kvd likes this.
  13. RedfootRanch

RedfootRanch Silver $$ Contributor

I run 2 of these Ryobi's with my setup. I can charge one as I use the other.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    snakepit likes this.
  14. fyrewall

fyrewall

I use my Dewalt cordless that has a 1/2 inch chuck. The brass goes directly into the chuck and the base of the cordless, which is the battery, is placed on the bench. The variable speed trigger is operated by my thumb. My turner/cutter is a cheap hand held RCBS type which has a tool steel blade which is periodically sharpened and maintained square with a diamond knife hone. Measurements of turned brass show neck wall thicknesses variations less than .001. I doubt that holding brass by tension exerted on the rim is better than clamping the circumference of the brass in a chuck. Yes, it wobbles some but the blade of the cutter is held against the surface of the brass neck. I find that usually .001 - .003 cleans up necks and if I need to remove more I do it in stages.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    KMart likes this.
  15. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I use the same set up with a Ryobi 1/2 inch cordless. I can usually clear up any wobble by reorienting the case in the chuck. I spent way too much money on Sinclair tools that hold the case head. I haven't used them since I got the 1/2 inch drill.

16. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Just use a hand drill with changeable batteries.

17. tred1956

tred1956 Gold $$ Contributor

A little overkill, but MORE POWER you gotta have that LOL:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. TrxR

TrxR

What gearbox is that?

19. WillyTP

WillyTP FBBW Gold $$ Contributor

And if it’ll fit your budget, the little mini lathe has been a very useful investment for my reloading room.

20. tred1956

tred1956 Gold $$ Contributor

Gear box came on pictured grinder from Harbor Fright. Wet part was replaced by shaft to accept Lyman Universal trimmer shell holder. (around $20.00) Sent gear box to friend on forum who made shaft for it. Total including grinder and dinner for forum friend less than $100 Shaft turns 160 RPM has worked great.