Easy bolt lift hard to extract.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by rfurman24, Aug 12, 2017.

1. rfurman24

rfurman24 Silver $$ Contributor

Like title says. This just started and is only after the 4th firing of the brass. It is a CA Ridgeline 30 Nosler. I can see no difference in measurements of the 4x fired brass and 1x fired brass. The case head/web areas are the same, the datums measure the same the OAL of the brass measures the same. These are mild loads. Need help. It is time to go hunting.

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Either soft brass or not sized enough. Does the bolt fall shut on a sized case with fire control out. Possibly poor die to chamber match. Is it a custom barrel? What action? Matt

3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

How are they compared to new brass?

4. rfurman24

If it were a sizing issue it would be doing it on 1x fired brass. As stated in the original post this is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I will have to remove ejectors to see if it will fall. I was in a hurry early. I remeasured 1x and 2x is .0005-.001 above new in the case head. The 4x is .002-.0025. I think it is the brass which sucks because it is ridiculously expensive.

5. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

Are you cratering primers? Another possibility is a dirty chamber because of carbon build up. I experienced the same thing but was cratering. Having the firing pin hole bushed and going to .062 firing pin. Hope it works out for you. Just my two cents.

6. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

sounds like a primary extraction problem. raising the bolt handle should break the case loose and from there extraction should not be an issue.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CEEwBA&usg=AFQjCNEeMNwDdAyJMnujLv6TT62PWVD-UQ

tuttlefarm and Concha like this.
  7. rfurman24

No cratering primers, no ejector marks. I have been shooting this load for nearly 200 rounds. It is not primary extraction or I would have difficult bolt lift. It is secondary extraction. It could be lack of primary extraction due to bolt timing. Again no problems with 1x and 2x brass.

8. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

easy bolt lift. exactly why i said primary extraction. for some reason the primary extraction cam is not doing its job.

its probably been there all along. those cases are not fully fireformed until the 3rd or fourth firing. weak primary extraction might not have shown up until after that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. rfurman24

I guess Alex will be getting it after hunting season to have it fixed. I wanted the cock on close fixed anyway. I will have to order more brass for hunting season.

10. jr600yd

jr600yd

Clean the chamber, use a little JB in the throat area.

11. rfurman24

Chamber and throat were just cleaned. I do not use jb. I use wipeout.

12. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

+10. Might have to scrub it good.

13. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Sizing issues don't usually show up till after a couple firings. It is called bolt click. The back end of the case is too big. Your measurements are showing it. You will need a ring die or custom die to get rid of it. Another option is to get another die. Remove the shoulder from it and take some off bottom of die. Now it will size the back end of case without bumping too much. You will have to experiment how much to take off. Then you bump with your other die. Pbike257 on this forum sells ring dies. Check classifieds. Matt

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    wholman likes this.
  14. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

You may have already answered your question.

15. rfurman24

It is not a sizing issue the die is reducing the body as it should be(actually a little more than I would prefer). The expansion is at the head. It is more than I would expect for the mild load and with only 4x brass. After looking further it seems there is no primary extraction which does not cause any problems with 1x, 2x, and 3x brass. For now I will have to stay with new brass until after hunting season. I will send it to Alex Wheeler to have him fix the timing and cock on close after hunting season. Thanks for the replies.

16. Tim s

Tim s

That is not true, sometimes it takes several firings.
    If you have a click up top/ initial hard extraction you need more sizing on the base of the case.

17. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

if its clicking at the top of the bolt lift, you need a tighter die near the case head. talk to whidden about a custom on your fired brass and let me know the issues you have with your 4th firing.

i know a lot of people say small base dies ruin brass life and so on. But if adjusted to minimal shoulder bump. my experience i lose my primer pockets before the brass click with SB dies.

18. rfurman24

It's not clicking. I am well aware of the click. I'm not getting it. The die is sizing everything it needs to. The bolt handle is not touching the action cam until the very top where it stops moving. Never relized until the cases became hard to remove by pulling the bolt back.

carlsbad likes this.
  19. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

then you might need to talk to dan at accu-tig do discuss how to get the measurements to time your bolt handle

20. rfurman24

I will just send it to Alex Wheeler after hunting season.

carlsbad likes this.