Ear Muffs - Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by K22, Feb 13, 2020.

1. skeeljc

skeeljc Silver $$ Contributor

I use the David Clark Model 27. I replaced the foam filled cushions with gel filled ones. Much better seal and better comfort. I usually wear foam ear plugs with them at our covered range. The plugs keep me protected when I remove the muffs to change glasses.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

My SIL who is in the military got us in to watch/experience F-16s take off and land at night a couple of months back. The ear muffs we were given were Howard Leight. I don't know the exact model number, but they looked like "Leightning L1 Slimline" that are in a recent Natchez Shooters Supply sale flyer I recently got, these carry a NRR of 25.

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

One thing i see these days is shooting positions that are very detrimental to your hearing. Anything that concentrates noise on your face such as shooting through a culvert will damage your hearing no matter what hearing protection you wear. Please be aware of this

6ShotsOr5? likes this.
  4. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Most of the time these days I am triple-protected from my own weapons - suppressor + electronic ear buds + electronic ear muffs. At least two of these are always in place for me when the range is hot.

5. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Silver $$ Contributor

I bought 3M ultrafit earplugs on a whim just looking for the proverbial better mousetrap. They come with a cord connecting the two to hang around the neck when not in use and a small plastic container with hinged snap on lid for storage. Very inexpensive and very effective as well. Let me explain. The first time I used them four other shooters were on the line. After several shots had been fired by myself and others I pushed one plug in to tighten the fit and it sort of pulled itself deeper so I adjusted the other as well. I am getting long winded here but hear me out(no pun intended). The next shot I heard sounded like a .22 rimfire but all were shooting centerfire cartridges. I shot my rifle next (6.5x47) and thought I had forgotten to put powder in the case. I even pulled the bolt to be sure a bullet wasn't stuck in the barrel. Anyway these inexpensive earplugs deaden noise better than anything else I have tried. On the down side they become uncomfortable after a short time so I only use them when i am actually shooting. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Silver $$ Contributor

As far as ear plugs go get some good foam plugs that work. Here are what I like:

Moldex Pura-Fit 6800 uncorded foam earplugs:
    200 pair will cost around $30
    mol01-6800-moldexpurafit-01__21867.1553290049.jpg

K22 likes this.
  7. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

I'll just add this: It doesn't matter how good your muffs are if the seal isn't the best. IMO muffs probably move at the blast to worsen the fit in the instant that you need it the most.

I swapped out my original ear pads for a high quality set of GEL pads and the difference was immediately noticeable. I use a set of Peltor electronic muffs but just leave the electronics off most of the time.

While there is an apparent benefit to plugs & muffs being used simultaneously, that sure is a PITA.

The advent of muzzle brakes is the WORST thing that has ever happened to the hearing heath of American shooters/hunters. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    K22 and Dub like this.