Drinking the kool-aid...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Jody Simcox, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:40 AM.

1. Jody Simcox

Jody Simcox Silver $$ Contributor

13646FAD-277A-40F6-A1C9-E2C76898F4B4.jpeg Every gun at my house was bought off the shelf, but finally jumped in and bought some quality components to put a gun together for my soon to be 21 y/o son who has never had a rifle to truly call his own. Chose to have it chambered in 6.5 CM...thought being if he moves away and I can’t load for it, he can purchase great ammo off the shelf wherever he winds up.

Took it to the farm for the first time Sunday and fired 11 rounds for barrel break-in per Proof’s recommendations. Next we mounted his suppressor and set out to zero his scope. Fired 3 and adjusted scope, fired 3 more and adjusted scope again, then came shots 18-20 on this 1/2” orange sticker.

Thanks so much to Lee Gardner for his communication, quality work, rapid turnaround (less than 2 weeks), and reasonable price! Also, thanks to Dusty, for encouraging me to let Lee do the work. The joy and excitement in my son has made me thankful I had this done. I look forward to a thousand rounds on the range with him.

tcob68, bpmoss1, Mikey_P and 16 others like this.
  2. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Gongrats to the two of you . Great story ,nothing like a father and son enjoying the sport together . My Son and myself try to meet at the range every weekend,blessed to still spend quality time together .

Looks like you had a real shooter built for him,and he is surely up to some fine shooting skills. Great job Dad !

LarryDScott likes this.
  3. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

There is nothing like the smile on you see on an offspring's face, because you did something special for them. You are proud because of a job well done, and they are proud of a parent who was so thoughtful.

I can guarantee you son will never part with that rifle and will brag about his father for the rest of his life. We all know what happens when you go to the range. Others are always commenting on a good target group. I can hear him now, "My father had this built for me."

CT10ring, Snuggie and LarryDScott like this.
  4. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

That's the part of child rearing that makes it all worthwhile. Your job is about over and now you can be friends.

5. K22

K22

Good job - your son is starting off with good equipment which should help keep his interest in shooting.

The problem with factory rifles is that it's a crap shoot. However I've had some outstanding ones, some Rems, Brownings and Weatherby's that shot in the .5 range with tailored hand loads but almost all of them required some trigger or bedding work to get them to shoot at that level.

The only exception was the Weatherby Supervarmint master. This rifle was 1/4 moa rifle out of the box with a great trigger but that rifle cost me $1,500 back in 2009, a lot of money for me but wifey bought it for me as a birthday gift - what a wife.

Maybe another exception is the Tikka T3, that shot in the .5 range once I adjusted the trigger and found a load for it.

6. TimS

TimS Gold $$ Contributor

The CM cannot miss

7. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

Looks like a keeper. What are the details on the build?

8. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

You can’t go wrong with Lee’s work even if it is a Creedmoor! I’m glad it turned out so well!! I’ll second the request for details and of course gun pics would also be great.

joshb likes this.
  9. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

Enjoy your time shooting w your son!!! Just to be clear; 18, 19, 20, the orange dot is -- gone, one hole group? joy & excitement -heck yeah.

10. lukehalee

lukehalee

Lee Gardner is grade A. Honest, meets commitments time wise and his work is competitive at the highest levels of Benchrest.

hrlincoln likes this.
  11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Exactly right. Im proud to call him a friend.

12. mauser284

mauser284

Exactly what part of this is about "Drinking the kool-aide? I see nothing that is controversial or not easy to back up with empirical measurements! Nothing controversial about a proven match grade barrel mated to an action be it a blue-printed factory mass produced action or a hi end custom action with best machine practices!

13. argrendel

argrendel Silver $$ Contributor

I’m on my iPad. I zoomed in on it and you can just make out a hint of red. Like lipstick. I think I also spotted a fly wing, but not sure.

Nice rifle and shooter.

14. Jody Simcox

Jody Simcox Silver $$ Contributor

045D220E-973F-43FA-B87E-BB7886591CAF.jpeg Thanks for all kind words...6.5 CM on a Bighorn Origin, 18” Proof Sendero, MPA Hybrid, TriggerTech Primary, and Atlas bipod, with a NF SHV 5-20x56, and SilencerCo Omega...

I guess the 6.5 CM was the “drinking the kool-ade” part...maybe “jumping on the bandwagon” would be more appropriate...so far, we have no regrets.

My son said 18 and 19 took out the sticker...he said he just aimed at the hole on 20...oh, to have those young eyes again!

Mark W likes this.
  15. mauser284

mauser284

Oh I can see that! I am no fan of it but nothing wrong with the 6.5CM if one removes all the undeserved hype and media push behind it!

I own one myself because I got a brand new 12FV Savage for $319 but they only come in 223Rem, 308Win and 6.5CM at that price point. If a long action was offered at that price point I would have gotten a long or magnum action and if they offered anything besides 223,308 and 6.5CM I would have gladly have gotten anything else.

I am not one that likes or favors short actions I think they are foolish at best but at $319 for an entire rifle can not be over looked since you can not even buy just the action for that price! I have a hard time passing up a fantastic deal! As long as you chose the cartridge wisely a short action does not have to be a curse.

99% of the problems people have with lack of accuracy on this site stem from the difference in chamber throats on factory rifles and their magazine OAL when combined with VLD bullets! If people would just stop building these guns for these cartridges on short actions 99% of all the accuracy issues on this site would disappear like smoke on a windy day! Well that and single loading would solve the problem too! LOL

In my book kool-aid is believing that short actions produce far more accurate rifles than standard length actions when no actual research that is scientific and statistically significant has ever been done and offered up to support this wild unfounded claim! You always get the wildly accepted but no actual proof assumption that " short actions are stiffer" and thus it is common sense that they will obviously produce better accuracy and faster cycling time. I started reading gun magazines around 1982 and have never seen anything remotely demonstrating the above assumption holds merit from a scientific standpoint.

To listen to the Gun Rags and Internet Experts tell it the 6.5CM is a self guiding munitions with plenty of power to kill Elk at 1200 meters all day every day and twice on Sunday! So I can see it as being Kool-Aid worthy if people are pushing that narrative! Nothing at all wrong with it so long as you ignore all the media hype behind it! If anything is amazing it is the amount of match grade premium ammo available for it at small stores. The PRC cartridges are even worse you can never find it in stock online or in a brick and motor store when you do see it it is always the lighter weight bullets and no choice. Have fun finding brass to reload with as well. Backorderable is not the same as having it to actually take hunting or to a competition! I would actually love to chamber a rifle in 6.5PRC and 300PRC but have not been able to get brass or loaded ammo for over a year. Maybe 20 years from now we will be able to reliably purchase brass with out having to backorder it and loaded ammo in a variety of bullet weights will be available at most retail outlets but right now it is not an option might as well be 6.5x47 Lapua in terms of loaded ammo. Actual I can purchase 6.5L and aall of the Lapua and Norma magnum brass online it is never sold out! LOL

16. thejamesd

thejamesd Silver $$ Contributor

I thought the best thing about a Creedmoor was it made it simple to distinguish my hunting brass from my match brass in 6.5x47.