Downsizing

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Nomad47, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Nomad47

Nomad47

My wife and I are thinking about downsizing from our 43' diesel motorhome to a 5th wheel RV since we don't travel around the country as much as we used to. I realize that odds are slim to none that someone on this forum would be serious about buying our "wheel estate" but I wanted to mention it on here before taking a wholesale offer from a dealer as a trade-in.
    [​IMG]

2. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Site $$ Contributor

Is it alright that I just want it? ;)

3. BigDMT

BigDMT Site $$ Contributor

Well if that ain't a picture set up to brag about toys, I don't know what is ;)

4. Nomad47

Nomad47

Sure is, MrM.

Big, its not a toy - its my home. ;)

5. BigDMT

BigDMT Site $$ Contributor

That's one sweet home for the open road :)

6. Hombre0321

Hombre0321 Site $$ Contributor

If I owned it I would brag too. Very nice looking coach Nomad, good luck with your sale. Nothing wrong with bragging here is a pic of mine, and a few toys.

Roland

Attached Files:

7. Nomad47

Nomad47

Very nice, Hombre. Diesel in that Seneca?

8. nosualc

nosualc Site $$ Contributor

Forget the camper, tell me about that trailer! Lemme guess, you can remove the jeep lower the boat and back it in the water? I've never see that before. Clever!

-nosualc

9. Hombre0321

yea guys it is a Duramax Diesel, gets going downhill with a strong tailwind 6 MPG empty and thats on a good day.

The trailer, man was this a great idea. Tow your toys all at one time. trouble was it was a miserable mistake. I had this trailer built by a company that had done this before, the trailer weighed right at 4,000 lbs by it self, add the Jeep and the Bass Boat and there was nothing safe about towing this anywhere. It was top heavy, towed like a pig and in that diesel motorhome I got about 4 MPG towing it. So even if it had worked better i couldn't afford to go anywhere.

This was one of those old adages " Live and learn and die a damn fool" Broke Too!!

Roland

10. nosualc

nosualc Site $$ Contributor

Well, it LOOKS like a good idea anyway! ;D

-nosualc

11. Nomad47

Nomad47

Hombre, sorry to read about all the issues you've had with that beautiful combo.

Yeah, diesels moving tall & heavy loads down the road don't equal good MPG. My rig towing a 4 door Colorado pickup gets 7.5 MPG, but I have to keep it under 62 MPH to get that.

BTW, trading for a big 5th wheel RV and tow vehicle wasn't as good an idea as I first thought it was. So I'm keeping my "wheel estate". :D

12. Hombre0321

Nomad, Don't quite give up on that idea just yet. I had this great tow vehicle until yesterday when I traded it in. I simple wasn't using it anymore and I had gone the th wheel route myself, for awhile. The dealer i traded with is a friend and if you "Might" be interested you could get this for a very resonable offer. I'll post a pic take a look and if it is something that gets your blood to pumping let me know.

Ford F650 Super Cruiser
    Every Option you can think of and then some
    Caterpiller Diesel
    Allison 6 Speed Push Button Automatic
    I got 16 to 18 running this empty and 14 towing and it didn't matter what the load was.
    Has verified milage of 66,000 miles
    Has 3 hitches--30,000 lb 5th wheel hitch--Class 5 hitch for bumper pull-- and a Goose Neck Hitch as well.

Roland

Attached Files:

13. Nomad47

Nomad47

I appreciate the offer, Roland. And that is the type of tow vehicle that I would have looked for. But two dealers only offered me $150k after discounting their RVs. I would be giving up too much after taking a good look at what is offered on 5th wheels - I've got In-motion satellite, three TVs, 8kw generator, 4 BIG deep cycle batteries, a 2kw full sine wave inverter, washer-dryer, etc. I even carry portable steel targets, a portable shooting/reloading bench, two rifles, four barrels, and all the necessary reloading equipment for long range shooting.