Downsizing virgin 6.5x47 brass to 6x47

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Patton243, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Patton243

Patton243 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 6x47 Lapua. I took some virgin cases and ran them through a Redding body die first, and then through my Forester FL resizer. Normally I run them only through the Forster on virgin brass, but it deforms the necks. The process I did this time did not deform the necks, but caused another problem where the necks are too loose now for bullet seating. Any suggestions?

I tried the body die this time because I read online that it doesn’t deform the necks which seems to be the case. But, as stated above, it caused another problem lol. Both dies are setup correctly cammed to the shell holder.

2. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

That’s odd, I did my first box of Lapua 6.5 x47 brass that way to form the 6x47 and didn’t have that happen. On both dies I didn’t have cam over. Just a slight touch of the shell holder to die put both of them to the right spot for me. I’m going to do a new box next week, I’ll see if I notice anything different on them.
    It would have to be something with the 6x47 FL die, the body dies does nothing but to slightly reduce the neck size before the FL die takes it all the way down to 6mm.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

I’ll take another guess. You might try backing body die out, then screw it down in small increments and keep trying till it just sizes neck at a point slightly above the neck shoulder junction. The body die may have been putting to much on it.

4. Patton243

I can back the body die off. The FL resizer works perfect I even have it honed too. Aside from sizing new brass. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You have to size the necks somehow. All you did was force the neck thru the shoulder neck junc on the die you really havent sized it yet

6. Patton243

So you’re telling me I need a neck sizer too then, huh?

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No your final fl bushing die will do it. You just have to size it before you seat a bullet just like it was already fireformed. You cant expect a case to hold a bullet when it hasnt been sized for that bullet

8. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah I just run them through a 6x47L Full Length Type S bushing die without the bushing first. That takes them about half the way. Then I run them through the same die with the appropriate bushing. Then load and shoot.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  9. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

Watch out about the neck getting too thick if you have a tight chamber. I took mine down like 22dasher but then turned the neck and did my final sizes before loading the fire form run.

David

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  10. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

That’s also correct. There are some so-called no turn PTG reamers out there with a .272 neck. That is NOT a no turn neck for all the lots of brass I’ve had. Definitely too tight. I prefer a .274 or .275

11. Patton243

Backed off the body die it worked. And no neck deformation either. I’m only using the body die for the virgin brass anyway. After you fire them once the FL resizer works great. Thanks.

Idaho-45 and McGraw like this.