Dope Cards

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by michaelbz, Oct 11, 2017.

1. michaelbz

michaelbz

How many of you still use dope cards, instead of ballistic calculators?

BobLor likes this.
  2. PA Jeep

PA Jeep Silver $$ Contributor

I love my tech but I still always have them with me.

3. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

While computerized gizmos are really nice for what-if scenarios, I keep and use a dope card for my F-class rifles.

BobLor likes this.
  4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I have one taped to each my rifle's stocks once I have a load for each rifle that will be that rifles "go to load".

BobLor and RGRobinett like this.
  5. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

I use my phone ballistic calculator to make up a range card based on the weather that day. If you shoot all seasons with temp swings then one set of dope won't work very well. Not to mention changing BP, elevations, etc. The dope stays in my range book for reference, but again with a significant weather change you better know how to compensate especially at longer ranges.

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I should add that my cards are for the average temperature during hunting season and only out to 500 yards. I just need to hit an 8-10 inch circle so any changes I can compensate for by adjusting my hold.

I do have a calculator on my phone but don't truly trust them with out verifying them.

7. people

people

I used to. Then I switched to dope note card. Basic dope just a few distances Like 400 600 800 1000 yds. No wind or anything like that. Now I have shot my hunting rifle enough I usually do not even use my calculator any more. Unless it is angle shooting or if I really go up or down in elevation.

8. Clay Moyers

Clay Moyers

Electronics are nice but they cannot work as fast as a DOPE card in the field. Learn to use both and you'll be better served.

9. JeffT

JeffT

I just write it my shooting mat with a sharpe.

10. DT

DT

11. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like the Joker card has been replaced.

12. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

unless I am going out past 600 yds the dope cards; @$1 apiece beat the heck out of the Kestrel. I also have a set of Leica Geovids with me.

13. Meangreen

Meangreen

I use a dope card with a base line trajectory from 600 to 1200 in 100 yd increments. (2000ft, 70 degrees, 28in Hg). I then write in my increment of change per 20 degrees temp at each yardline. And my changes per 1in Hg. I have to do a small bit of mental math but it's easier than pulling it out of my butt when equipment goes down.

0-600 yds there isn't enough change to really worry about unless shooting targets approaching 1 moa or smaller.

14. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

DSC00928.JPG

Dial-up's to 1500 yards in 25 yard incruments. Wind dope to 1500 yards from 5 mph to 30 mph. Hold over yardages. Plus I have the Shooter App.

boltfluter likes this.