Don't Buzz at Mr. Smith

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by CaptainMal, Sep 6, 2017.

1. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

...cause Mr. Wessen is right with him.

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_ec1 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Always carry my 22 S&W 4" kit gun with tiny shot cartridges. Literally get one or more every year.

Georgia trying to put in food plots. Got nothing in because my tractor broke it's injector pump. Gonna be no food plots for me but did find a way to get the pump re-built. Fixed by October but too late to plant and cut. Over 1,200 game camera pictures of deer and turkey taken on one of my plots over this Summer until it grew over. Without cutting and the tractor it will just be harder.

Here you can see how it weeded up over a few months. Now it's a mess. First day of muzzleloader is October 14th. Wish I could have planted or at least cut. Tripod I hunt from is just 80 yards behind the tip of that highest tree in the middle. I put a new camo wrap around it while there and lopped off that tree tip. Without the wrap it's hard to see.

[​IMG]HUNT0639 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6012 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
    [​IMG]HUNT0829 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Hal, timeout, Alex Wheeler and 3 others like this.
  2. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I say don't mess with a guy from Pittsburgh, yinz! :eek:

CaptainMal and MrMajestic like this.
  3. Flouncer

Flouncer

Have you tried eating snake, Eastern Timber Rattler I presume ?

4. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

22/32 S&W... I have one I bought in the late 70's or so. Looks like I have the same holster too.. I installed Pacmayr grips on mine and added a Cavalry flap on my holster.. We get a few rattlers around here and I get the same result.

5. FJIM

FJIM

Nice looks like a PA timber rattler

6. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

Nice deer pics! Big snake too! I don't kill them unless they are in an area that may endanger kids or pets.

7. FJIM

FJIM

Plus Illegal to kill one of them here in PA unless you have a Hunting permit for em. They say maybe the deadliest snake in North America..Their docile nature keeps them from killing too many people and 70% of all bites are dry the other 30% full dose wet bite and your dead in a hour.. According to research and the best of my memory. They are a very deadly most of them have been wiped out around here there may be a den or two with small amount of snakes. Now up in elk co they are thick just everywhere. they say for everyone you see you walked past five..I don't like them around at all.

CaptainMal likes this.
  8. FJIM

FJIM

the solid black ones wig me out and he is pissed..that's going to be a wet bite.

Mark W likes this.
  9. FJIM

FJIM

the full cane brake in yellow

Mark W likes this.
  10. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

That sound does send chills up your spine....lol. I grew up in Louisiana with Pygmie, Eastern, and Canebreak Rattlesnakes. The old timers always said that rattlesnakes don't want to bite, hence the rattle. Not so much for the copperheads and cotton mouths.......lol. They will actually come after you with evil intent. I still only kill them as a last resort though.

gambleone likes this.
  11. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Very rare and elusive...had it been me it would have been one more (or less?) rare/// boom boom boom boom boom boom pause, reload....repeat

Toolbreaker, varmintshooter and swd like this.
  12. CaptainMal

Until just a few years ago I owned a hunting camp in Pennsylvania. It is called RedV and is located in Centre Co. next to Black Moshannon State Park. Ironically, just off Ratlesnake Rd. From the 1960's through the mid 2000's I killed many, many rattlers there. Often used the same S&W 22lr with shot shells. The ones I used for this one were the old, old metal crimped ones I still have left over. When used up I do have the newer CCI plastic heads to use. Testing showed me they have more power than the old ones. Some I took with a tiny NA Arms 22 mag revolver I always carry. That's a nasty little thing.

Strange but this 4 1/2 footer only had five buttons. Wife looked at it when I handed it to her and said it reminded me of a big man with a little prick. That's what she also thinks of men with lifted truck and giant tires. Quite often, she is right.

Know Pa. put in some restrictions on killing the buggers. Not sure what they are but visited a friend near Pittsburgh just last month. He showed me a 15 button rattle from a big one he killed next to the wood pile at my old camp. Killed that one in June so not sure it was a legal kill. Do know it was a necessary and positive thing to do. They are real bad ju ju.

Think this latest kill is around my 10th in maybe the last 12 years I have been hunting in Georgia. Two years ago a guy died from a bite there. He had placed his grandson in a stand and the kid watched and yelled as he walked to his stand and got hit. I have killed three right in front of my wife. One was in Pa. back in about 2003. The others were recently in Georgia. She is not afraid but still a bit "taken back" by the mental mode I go into when I attack. Not pleasant until it's over.

Guy I know in Georgia shooed one away last year with a broom from his house. Just last week he told me a rattler killed one of his cats. Makes no sense to me to use a broom and sweep it away. I would use a shovel and bury the creature.

Think he's a liberal. Not a surprise.

FJIM, snert and Lone Hunter like this.
  13. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Dinner! ;)Tastes like chicken!:)

FJIM likes this.
  14. Willie

Willie Silver $$ Contributor

The only good rattler is a dead rattler. IMG_20170908_175614.jpg

JLT, Toolbreaker, ND shooter and 6 others like this.
  15. CaptainMal

Great picture of goodness to me. Over the years I gave near all of mine to kids and now grandkids. You kept the memories and they sure look like good ones to me.

Keep on eliminating those things.

16. FJIM

FJIM

I agree. they say they are good for the environment ect ect.. As I say all the time I am the ultimate predator around here don't worry i'll kill those some B*tches too I don't need a snake for that.

ND shooter likes this.
  17. Mikemci

Mikemci

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. FJIM

FJIM

Holy S* man. wow. Yea that would freek me out. That's a BIG snake.

19. Mikemci

Mikemci

It measured 9'-6"