Do you use decoys for waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Beltfire, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Beltfire

Beltfire

I have bought a waterfowl license for the past 3 years, but really only hunted the last 2 years. I do things a little differently than most, I kind of hunt like my Dad used to in BC, he never used decoys. There is a spot I go where there is a large pond/lake that borders the property. I have been there enough that I know the routes the birds use to access the water. I usually set up under a tree or by a bush so I have some natural cover and then wait for something to fly into range. I usually go in the early morning or at night when the birds are most active. This isn't the most effective way to hunt, but I don't need a lot of meat as only my son and I eat ducks and geese, so the few birds I get most time is more than enough for us. It is also a cheap way to hunt as all I use is my single shot 12 gauge, a blind bag with shells and some camo clothing. Just wondering if anyone else does this or if I am weird? Everyone you talk to figures waterfowl hunters spend an hour setting up decoys and need a big trailer just to haul them to the field, so I feel a little weird when I tell people what I do.

fredo, KMart and pirate ammo like this.
  2. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

If it works for you --- DO IT!!! Years ago I talked to some people that didn't use decoys. But they would slowly walk up to the pond edge ad surprise the birds. They called it jump hunting - I think-.

mikeinct likes this.
  3. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

what is a decoy?? high bank em

4. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

3 words,,NO YOUR NOT,,

msinc likes this.
  5. Jason_A

Jason_A

I hunt a large shoreline but there are only a few spots that the birds land at. I know these spots so no need to decoy because they land the same places each time.

6. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like you are actually HUNTING and not going just for the shooting. If you can outsmart the birds and get a couple each time you go, do it your way. Limits any more are only about 2 per day anyway. No need to make the hunt be more expensive than it has to be.
    The more you get out and scout the area and birds before shooting them, the more successful you will be.

7. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Decoys work in the right situation,"pass shooting" works just fine in between feeding spots...two different styles of hunting fowl . Habitat and bird dictates the style . I pass shoot here on the St. Lawrence river flyway and hunt over decoys in the swamps inland a bit.

8. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

What OP described is a super way to shoot wood ducks on small, brushy creeks in our AO. They are spooky fowl, but if ya know where they like to dabble on a certain stretch of water, sitting in on it with a scattergun & bit of patience is about the only way we know to get em. Have a buddy who LOVES hunting wood ducks, this way...

Just like any kind of stand hunting, it's all about location, loCATION, LOCATION!!!

Good on ya, decoys are a PITA!

msinc likes this.
  9. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

I have a spot where the birds come off a reservoir and head to a golf course, I set up just in front of the fairway their going to land on. They come over the trees with their wings locked, and I light them up as they pass over, got my first band there.

10. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

There are different kinds of duck hunters. You are in the class that enjoys the experience. I have friends that are obsessed with it and they use decoys, motorized decoys, jerk strings, and several different mouth calls. It consumes them, but they seem to love it. We hire them to guide guests in our duck ponds and they show up like clockwork and pout if you don't need them.

Rustytigwire likes this.
  11. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Ducks like to be where other ducks (decoys) are on the water. Placing them correctly makes all the difference in the world.

msinc likes this.
  12. msinc

msinc

This is very true, but like the OP I have a place where it doesn't matter if you have decoys or not. I have had some fun with this spot too. I have four ponds on my property. The biggest one, which is about 20 acres has this spot on one end where Canadian geese love to spend the night. They will come in every evening just before shooting time is up and flop right in. "All ya gotta do" is be there waiting and you can have all the geese you want.
    Now I am no duck hunter...in fact I will be the first to admit, I seriously don't know anything about it, I just have a heck of a good place. So, whenever I get someone that wants to go goose hunting I tell them to "wear camo and be at my place about an hour before dark." I take them out and throw out a few decoys like I know what I am doing. Now you can literally "set your watch" to these birds...so a few minutes before they are due I ask "if you are ready for the geese??" Then I take my goose call {which I don't really have the first damn clue how to blow} and honk out a few sick notes and usually if I wait just right here they come......there's about 6 or 7 people in this county that have bragged me up as this great legend of a goose caller!!! Sometimes I really put on a show...I get up {well before it is time for the geese to come} and announce that "the decoys are not exactly right and we need to move them 3 feet to the left", {like that would actually make any difference to a damn goose...} I also blow a few honks just before they set their wings and later announce that I believed they must have seen one of the hunters because they were getting ready to leave, but I "brought them back in" with the caller!!! I have had a lot of fun with this spot for about 12 years now. I even told one guy that I had them so used to coming to my call that I "didn't even need to use it" that was the day I forgot my call...to his amazement the flock came right in and I never honked one time that evening. They brag me up as this great caller that can "bring 'em in" even when there are no geese in sight!!! The trick is to keep taking people goose hunting that know even less than I do.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  13. Knotwild

That's called "shooting the roost". Where I live they arrive after legal shooting time....and the wardens are often listening.

msinc likes this.
  14. msinc

msinc

I had no idea that's what you call it...but it has made me famous!!!

15. Knotwild

I am sure you check to see when legal shooting time is over for your area. The Feds can be pretty nasty and they actually have arrested people who posted their hunting adventures on social media.

msinc likes this.
  16. msinc

msinc

Yes sir, I understand and thank you for the warning...I didn't get to own this kind of property by doing stupid things.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  17. Knotwild

It wasn't a warning, notice that I said I was sure you checked on that. We had an old guy (passed away now) who used to shoot where and when he wanted to; but he only allowed himself one shot or two back to back shots so no one could locate where he was. He was shooting them on the water for maximum effect.

msinc likes this.
  18. CTK

CTK Silver $$ Contributor

Decoys and calling make all the difference in most locations.

daleboy likes this.
  19. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

It sure does,without decoys here you may as well stay home .I live on the St. Lawrence river flyway ,hunters have a lot of competition...either rafts of birds or rafts of decoys . And then you have the USA/Canada competition,but that mostly for the diver ducks out on the big water...I like hunting the puddle ducks on my swamp,much more challenging that "pass shooting" the divers and fish ducks...taste better too.

KMart likes this.