Do it yourself Stock making thread

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by joshb, Mar 29, 2017.

1. msinc

msinc

I just happened to stumble upon this thread just this morning....read thru it and wow!!!!! I don't know if many folks out there realize the work that goes into something like this...I don't mean the stock work, that is plenty. I am referring to all the photos and posting. Thanks for sharing. Anyone that does any kind of wood working can learn some new tricks from this thread.
    I will add two things, first, anyone that works with wood routers should always take a minute every now and then to check for play in the spindle. I just had a Craftsman router blow up on me. It wasn't an expensive router, but I had it since back in the 80's and it worked perfect. I didn't really put a lot of hours on it, but at 25,000 rpm they can get some wear. I used it in a router table and I noticed the last time I used it that the spindle appeared to be going "blurry" when running with no load. Sure enough, the bearing was going bad and she blew. I was lucky to not get hurt...the armature came out from under the table and spun like a top all the way across the shop floor!!!! Make it a point to check for "wiggle" on the shaft each time you go to use your router fellas. Sure glad it was in a table...the new one should be here today.
    Second, early on some guys mentioned "pinning" their lamination's together....I don't know if that is necessary. Plain old ordinary Elmer's wood glue is unbelievably strong. The Amish guy that mills all my logs builds more furniture than anyone I know and we had a conversation about "adding strength" when joining wood. I was interested in a biscuit joiner and he told me that all he ever used was dowels because " it doesn't make the joint any stronger". The other big question was the type of glue...Elmer's vs. Gorilla glue. From my experience Elmers's is better. It's just as strong, especially for laminates and it cleans up easier.
    Joshb thanks again for posting all this!!!!!

2. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

You are welcome. Want a pattern? Just pm me with your address.:)
    I agree with you on the "White glue" being sufficient. I like Titebond 2. It's waterproof and strong. Pin nails? I don't like any metal in my stocks. Nails always seem to wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time. They dull my blades when I hit them.:( Oh, and I hate Gorilla glue. I bought some, once. Used a little. Came back a couple weeks later to use some more and it was hard as a rock.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. Hal

Hal

The power that be should make this this thread a sticky. A ton of good info here.
    And as msnic said it takes a lot of time and effort to take step by step pictures and post progress.
    Thanks Joshb. Keep up the good work.

Hal

4. joshb

I finished another one I had put off to the side half done, today. The pattern profile was modified a little. The angled portion in front of the trigger holds a blind mag for this Kodiak action which was set up for hunter Benchrest when I bought it. This is a 30br barrel. The other barrel is in 30HBR, a modified 308 case. I'm just showing how the pattern can be easily modified for any application. The basic build is the same.
    IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    boltfluter likes this.
  5. joshb

Thanks for the thought, Hal. I'm not an "expert" shooter yet, but I've learned a lot from this forum. I thought this might be a way to return the favors and contribute something.

6. Mojomfg

Mojomfg

Thank you for all the time it took to share this ... I was wondering if you have tried any other comb hardware to compare to the kmw ?

7. joshb

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I haven't tried any other hardware. I looked at other hardware on line and liked the KMW design. It's unobtrusive, very well made and solid. The price is right, too. It has slots in one of the posts for a circlip. Find your favorite height and set the circlip. Loosen the bolt and pop out the cheek piece for cleaning. Drop it back in and lock it down when you're done! After installing and using one, I saw no reason to look further. I highly recommend it. Josh

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Mojomfg likes this.
  8. joshb

Refresh!

9. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

been watching this one from the beginning. Who is out there to duplicate a perfect stock once you have it.

10. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie

That is a beautiful stock. My compliments. If you are still offering the drawings, I sent you a PM.

11. joshb

Thank you. They're fun to do, too. I'll get your stock pattern in tomorrow's mail. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. Remember that I got that piece of Maple by digging thru the stack at Home Depot. There always seems to be one or two nice ones when I go.

12. joshb

I don't have an answer for that.
    Unless Gary talks me into buying a duplicator.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM