Do it yourself Stock making thread

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by joshb, Mar 29, 2017.

1. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

On a side note: When I finally got back in the shop, I did a little more fine tuning on my grip area. It felt a little big, so I took some more wood off. Then I formed finger grooves. I like them, some don't. Your choice.
    I make them with my little drill mounted drum sander and finish them up by hand sanding. I grip the stock and stick a pencil between my fingers to mark the lines. Then I sand with my drum, centered between those lines. Here is my finished product, at 120 grit. Finished sanding goes to 1000
    IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG

vahena and 230grRN like this.
  2. joshb

Hey, Gary! I'm a little obsessive compulsive about it. I sweep my work area 3-4 times a day. I can't stand walking on chips and stuff.:mad: It also allows me to stop and think about the next step in the project.:)

Ggmac and vahena like this.
  3. joshb

Back to the shaping, I follow the same procedure of drawing lines and sanding. When I get the big edges off with the disk sander, I switch to a palm sander with 80 grit. Knock off more edges and get the big scratches out with that and then switch to 120. I glue a piece of 120 grit to a flat piece of wood, about 2"x12" and use that to find any high or low spots. Clamp the stock down and sand some, moving the sanding board in line with the stock. Look for the "straight scratches" (high) and spots without scratches(low) and palm sand the high spots until the sanding board gives you straight scratches on the whole surface.
    IMG_1210.JPG

After that is done, I move to the end of the cheek piece. I use a small drum of 120 grit on a dremmel to hollow a concave surface on it and make it flush to the stock. Now I get out some sheet paper and finish it off by hand. Get ready for some blisters. Here's the finished product.
    IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG

Attached Files:

4. joshb

IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG

Notice that I still have about a 1/16" of wood around my butt template. That will come off with the finish sanding. I still need to do 180, 220, 320, 400, 600 and 1000. Don't worry. It sounds intense but it only takes an hour, tops.;) The grip area takes the most time. Usually 2-4 hours.:(

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    vahena likes this.
  5. joshb

Minor adjustments, today. Opened up the palm well. It felt a little snug. It also "sweetened" the curve. I used the little Dremel drum sander to remove and shape the new curve, then the edge of my palm sander with 120 and finished by hand.
    IMG_1228.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Fast14riot, boltfluter and Ggmac like this.
  6. joshb

The next step on the list is the recoil pad. I like Pachmeyer. Depending on the butt profile you've chosen, you'll order the size appropriate. I use the template I made for the butt to shape the pad. First, you push a steel "something" thru the holes and make a slice on the bulge with a razor knife.
    IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    Then, I push a 1/4-20 bolt thru that slice, the pad and my but template and secure it with a nut. I use some old furniture feet I had lying around.
    IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG

Then, I use a disk sander to remove the excess material outside my template. You can clamp down your hand disk sander to do this. I happen to have an old radial arm saw I put a disk on. Either way, I hold it with my hands during the sanding. Go slow and watch the knuckles and fingers.
    IMG_1236.JPG
    I get it close, then finish it with a palm sander and a new, sharp flat file.

7. joshb

On the pattern I sent out, I included a tracing of my template and a small Pachmeyer pad. They're fairly close to a match. The pad in the pics above is a large. I'm using a small on this stock. It's so close to my butt profile, I can screw it to my stock and sand it to flush, installed. I haven't ever had one of these pads lay perfectly flat when screwed on so I apply a layer of thickened epoxy to the butt before I screw the pad on. I wrap my butt with painter's tape to keep the epoxy off the surface of my stock. I put some butcher's wax on the pad to act as a release agent, in case I ever want to replace it.The epoxy is just a filler for this install.
    IMG_1233.JPG
    I'll let it sit overnight before sanding it flush.

Fast14riot likes this.
  8. joshb

I pulled the tape this morning and started sanding the pad with 120. Keep the sander on the pad as you do this. The rubber is fairly tuff. If you get the sander on the wood, you'll remove more wood than rubber and create a divot on your butt. Use lite pressure and let the sander cut the rubber. When I get it right, I switch to 220 and sand the joint /stock.

IMG_1237.JPG
    Finished to 220.
    IMG_1240.JPG

9. joshb

I'm adding a bipod receiver to this stock. I asked Andy Delikat ( 230grRN) to make me some custom receivers so I can use my Sako TRG bipod on some of my other guns. Andy was very quick at coming up with a design and made them in a flash. He sent some off to the anodizer for my walnut stocks but since this is a stainless barreled action, I wanted plain aluminum. Andy said "No problem" and I had it in a flash. Thank you Andy!
    I spent the time to make a template because I'll be retrofitting 4-5 other stocks.
    As usual, I used my router with a 1/4" bearing bit. I epoxy glued it in place for extra strength.
    IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG

10. 230grRN

230grRN Gold $$ Contributor

Looking good Josh !!! Your other adapters and bipod should be there by Friday!

11. joshb

One more cutting operation to do before final sanding, I have to make the bolt notch. I put my action and bolt in the stock, mark the location and square a line down the stock. I use a Japanese dozuki saw to make the cuts and chisel out the bottom of the cut. I start a little shallow and work it down as needed. I put a piece of tape across my closed bolt as an indicator for "closed". I use a sanding board and flat file to finish the cut.
    IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1246.JPG
    The tape tells me I need to go a bit deeper.
    IMG_1247.JPG
    That done, it's finally time for sanding to 1000 and a few coats of oil!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Fast14riot likes this.
  12. joshb

I'll check my bolt clearance with my cheek piece before I do.
    IMG_1248.JPG
    All is good. Let's finish this thing!

13. joshb

Ok! Two heavy coats of oil, 10 minutes apart. I'm using Watco Danish oil. First coat was Dark Walnut. (Looking at it, I wished I had used Medium Walnut.) Second coat was Clear. I let it soak in and dry for 1/2 hour then rubbed it down. I'll do another coat of clear while wet sanding with 1000 grit, and then more coats over the next few months. I kept the oil away from the bedding area, so I can finish that and put the rifle together. Other than that, it's done.
    IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1253.JPG
    Just remember. This started out as a $15 piece of Maple from Home Depot and a piece of left over Cherry.;)

230grRN and Fast14riot like this.
  14. joshb

I hit the shop again and looked over the color. It's too dark. :eek::eek::eek:I'm going to have to make another one.;):rolleyes::p:p:p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    msinc likes this.
  15. joshb

I bedded the action, cleaned out the squooge and put the gun together. One last cut for the safety. I just sand it out with a Dremel and finish by hand.
    IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG

It's done. Now, to mount a scope and shoot it!
    IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    dskogman and 230grRN like this.
  16. J355

J355

Josh
    Great work , I read a lot more than I comment on , too many critics get involved , but this deserved a thumbs up , what are you using for the wet in wet sanding , one is on the list right after retirement unfortunately got a few years to go

17. joshb

Hey, thanks. I just use the oil I finished the stock in, with 1000 grit paper. I'll be starting another one for a Tikka with fewer pictures. I'm going to focus on posting the "time" it takes to do the build.

I know there might be better ways to do stocks and I am certainly no expert at any of this. I try to use what I have at hand with my limited experience. I've done 9 of these, so far. I'm "just getting started". Feel free to chime in with constructive comments. I have a little to learn about this.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  18. joshb

I'm working on another stock. Earlier, I had suggested clamping down the cheap rotary sander to sand a butt pad. Today, I tried it and it worked great.
    I put some foam under it.
    IMG_1268.JPG

Fast14riot likes this.
  19. teele1

teele1 Silver $$ Contributor

Josh what talent you have....that is an absolutely beautiful stock.

jim

Ggmac likes this.
  20. Ggmac

Ggmac

Ditto teeles comment , and aBIG THANKS for all the patterns sent and time it takes trying to pass on knowledge.
    Coffee time now .