Dillon press..?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rsadams, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Rsadams

Rsadams

One more question... With the 550 you can use the current dies I already have , correct? But I have read sometimes their a little short in the tool heads. ( Lee for pistol and Rcbs for rifle ) any problems use non Dillon dies..? When I order it I am going to have it shipped with Dillon 9mm dies for it but when I want to load .38spl etc, I would like to use my dies and just get the caliber conversion kits , it would be alot cheaper if I could... Or are you better off just buying new dies from Dillon..?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I love dillon pistol dies. Youd have to look a long time to beat them

Rsadams, rwj and rr2030 like this.
  3. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

"But I have read sometimes their a little short in the tool heads. ( Lee for pistol and Rcbs for rifle ) any problems use non Dillon dies..? "

I load .45ACP on a 450 and a 550 with Pacific dies. The seating die is too short to put the lock ring on top of the tool head on the 550 or the top of the press on the 450 so I put the lock ring on the bottom side of the press and or tool head. 9mm and .38/.357 are loaded on a Square Deal.

.308Win, .223Win., 30-06Sprg. , .280Rem. ,.250-3000 Sav are loaded on the 550 or 450 with non Dillion dies. Will shortly be ordering carbide Dillon .38 Super dies and just ordered a couple Widden floating tool heads to experiment with loading 6.5x47L on the 550. If the 6.5x47 trial works out the other head will be set up on .308 Win.
    Load and shoot safely and often!

T W Hudson

Rsadams likes this.
  4. Rsadams

Rsadams

Pulled the trigger , it's on the way now... Thanks for all your help , it made deciding what to order to get started easy.... Once I get it setup and running I will be making one more order for the little extras and from inline fab for the sky light....

Thank you,

Shawn

5. David247

David247 Silver $$ Contributor

I have an XL-650 and I put a bullet feeder on it and once in a while when nothing goes wrong I can load 300 rounds in 15 minutes but I also have the primer tube filler too or else you spend that much time filling them by hand. I also have an after market primer catcher that has a tube that delivers the spent primers to a box under my bench. It really helps keep the press clean!!! These three items are priceless IMHO.

6. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

extra toolhead w powder drop. I have one and would buy the 650 if buying again. Mainly I hate the self indexing and it seems the 650 is stronger. I bought a Hornady AP LNL and really like it but the Dillon 550 does a better job of priming. Otherwise the Hornady is just as good IMO.