Die recommendation

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Art Dirindin, Jul 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM.

1. Art Dirindin

Art Dirindin

All I use at present to reload my brass are Lee Collet neck sizing dies, Redding body only sizing dies, and Forster bench bullet seating dies. As I have bought a 308 for fun and practice I would like to do a little experimenting with a different type of neck only sizing die.

So what other neck sizing die is given the nod for producing as uniformly straight necks with minimal run out in fire formed brass?
    Please keep in mind I'm looking to compete only with myself at this point and my rifle is strictly a factory Savage and optics will be equally entry level but still wiuld like to maximize the consistently and accuracy potential of my reloads even for my admittedly entry level firearm.
    Thanks,
    Arthur

2. jr600yd

jr600yd

Hey, go shoot and have fun. You got what you need.

3. Art Dirindin

Art Dirindin

That's exactly what my research was leading me to believe, especially since I will now be annealing all my brass, but I also from time to time like to try alternative methods to ensure the ones I am using are going to give me the best results.

4. Titan

Titan

If your interested in trying different neck tension you can get undersized mandrels from Lee at what ever diameter you want for your current collet neck sizer for around 5 dollars a piece.
    http://leeprecision.com/custom-undersized-mandrel.html

5. Bart B.

Bart B.

Neil Jones may still make the best neck only dies. His bushing's come in .001" diameter steps and their shoulders can bump case shoulders back a little. I've got one with six bushing's I'll part with.

I don't think they end up making straightest case necks. Full length sizing dies keep all case parts aligned when sizing them. Full length sizing has been most popular for several years for best accuracy. No expander ball and die necks' diameter about .002"'smaller than loaded round necks. Sierra Bullets proved this back in the 1950's.

6. T-shooter

T-shooter

Entry level doesn't necessarily mean not accurate. Maximize what you have. Anyway, if you are worried about runout, you need to be able to measure it if you haven't already. The Lee collet die isn't bad but still can get the necks off center a little if they have a thick and thin side. I use a Forster Benchrest F/L die with a floating ball and have no trouble with runout if it's not an issue with the case. But I've had to either fireform or anneal some new cases to get them right. I just ordered 100 Hornady Match cases. I want to do a test with the worst I can find on runout and compare to some that have near zero. And also test between turned and unturned necks. Maybe I'll learn something, if not, I'll have fun anyway.

7. jdh47

jdh47 Silver $$ Contributor

I have found that the Wilson inline seating die gives me good service. Lee collet dies are good and I have them but from time to time have to FL size. You have that all covered pretty well.
    Good shooting,

Joe