Did I get ripped in on my 2013 purchase??

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Crackerbacks, Apr 9, 2017.

1. js2013

js2013

Agree 50 yards is best for initial 22 testing. If you're doing 0.3" then it sounds like you know what you're doing, especially if that's with 22!
    Even if the barrel has been abused sometimes they can be made better by cutting off the bad spot, assuming the bad spot is towards the end and you have usable barrel left. Also the 1/8 bedding around the action sounds strange. Sounds to me like someone was trying to "fix" something. I'd try it at 50 and also try ammo other than eley, and like already mention shoot a bunch of rounds of the new ammo before expecting the best groups, then go from there. If you need a new barrel at least you'll know it'll last a long time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. patriot

patriot

When you deep clean it, use JB bore paste on the throat to remove any carbon ring. A friend had a 2013 open up at 100 so he replaced the barrel. All it needed as a good cleaning.

Mark

3. Nvreloader

Nvreloader

Did you check the crown??

Tia,
    Don

4. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg

Yeah, forgot to mention JP every now n' again.

5. Tim s

Tim s

You will, probably, over time, greatly increase your chances of screwing up that barrel with JB. Double the odds if it's SS. Easily doable with far less aggressive methods.
    Use it long enough it alters metal, in a throat, at some point, you no longer have a round throat.

6. patriot

patriot

Depending on the number of rounds I use it once or twice a year Tim and the barrels shoot great and the bores look great under the scope. If the barrel is not shooting what can it hurt to give it a try? It may be unrelated, but we see similar behavior with the 6.5x284. Using JB on the throat every 200 rounds extends the life of that barrel.

7. SBS

SBS Silver $$ Contributor

Torquing the bolts too tight that hold the barrel to the receiver can have an adverse effect on accuracy by actually causing a tight spot at the beginning of the barrel instead of at the muzzle. Also, it should be bedded after this adjustment has been finished. These are tricky actions to bed and tune; very few of them were competitive in BR matches when used "as made" by Anschutz. However, they should be capable of better accuracy that you are achieving. Should good cleaning, proper fouling and proper BR techniques not produce better groups with premium ammo, I would pony up for a good rebedding job.

8. 1813benny

1813benny

Some thoughts on the accuracy issues that you have experienced. I apologize in advance if they are somewhat random in sequence.

1. Check the three (3) capscrews on the side of the action that clamp the barrel in place. Is there any red locking compound over the top of the capscrews? If so, this indicates that the barrel has not been exchanged from the original factory position.

2. If the locking compound is not present, the barrel may have either been exchanged for another barrel or moved from the original position. There is a specific tightening sequence to replace the barrel and as previously mentioned, this is an area that is torque sensitive. A low torque setting for these screws has been used by many with excellent results.

3. Check the tightness of the nut on the end of the bolt assembly. If this is loose, the firing pin does not strike consistently or with the full spring force. You might want to take the bolt apart and make sure that the firing pin is not broken/damaged and that the bolt was properly assembled. Note, no lube is necessary on the bolt internals.

4. Check the location of the trigger. If, when closing the bolt, the firing pin indicator moves, then the trigger is not in the proper location. Accuracy may suffer.

5. Also mentioned, cleaning and technique is more important than ever - especially if you are switching between different brands of ammunition. The different waxes used to lube are not all equal - and accuracy may suffer if you don't start with a clean barrel.

6. Can you provide some additional information for additional analysis? Photos are best, but at least:
    • stock material
    • bedded with our without pillars
    • is the original bedding cross still in the stock or was it removed
    • was headspace checked
    • does the barrel have any "choke" at the muzzle
    • barrel material & manufacturer
    • condition of the crown
    • what is your method of cleaning
    • do you use a bore guide
    • do you use brushes and if so, what material
    7. Can you post some photos of the groups you experienced at 100 yards? Not to be critical, however smallbore at 100 yards is NOT an easy task even while using flags. As recommended, start out at 50y/m and work up to 100 yards after you get some suitable results.

8. Are you using a tuner (either muzzle / mid-barrel / both)?

9. What torque sequence are you using for the action bolts? Not only torque amount, but also sequence of tightening?

10. Can you do a blue check of the bottom of the action to the bedding? In addition, does the action exhibit any type of rocking when installed or during tightening of the action bolts?

11. What was your testing sequence for ammo at 100 yards?

12. What was the conditions during testing, including wind, light and mirage?

13. Does the barrel fully free float? This may sound dumb, but on rare occasions even the target stocks can be inletted improperly - I had this situation on my 1813....

14. Did you thoroughly check the stock for cracks? Does not matter if metal or wood - it can happen to either. Now, this would not apply to the new Precise stock as if that has a crack, you have MUCH bigger issues to deal with!

15. Check that the action screws are not bottoming out in the action. Take a black marker and darken the top of each bolt, install and torque to spec. Back them out and see if there are any marks on the top of the bolt indicating that contact is being made (not good).

16. I would recommend throwing this out on Delphi Forums Smallbore Accuracy and on TargetTalk - many of the prone and 3-p shooters are very familiar with this action and will be able to also provide additional thoughts.

I hope this gives some additional insight on tracking down the issue.
    Best Regards,
    ken

Mikey_P likes this.
  9. Intell

Intell

Your cheapest way out, is to rebarrel. How manny dollars worth of 10x and match have you shot up trying to make it happen? New barrels are cheaper. As said before, 2013s are hard to make shoot. Some smiths make a plate to convert the four action screws to two, trying aleivate the four screw problems. A tuner would be a wise investment also. And a good set of wind flags above all else. A rimfire will make a fool of you without flags, depending on the size of your target.

10. Mikey_P

Mikey_P Silver $$ Contributor

Ken - you've laid out a very thorough and thoughtful course of action for the OP. Hoping that he takes your advice and follows through. Troubleshooting any kind of process takes a very methodical approach (vs. the "shotgun" approach), if you're really serious about identifying the root cause of the problem. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Mike

11. willymakit

willymakit

Went through the same scenario a few years ago. I purchased a NOS 2013L barreled action. 500mm barrel, 5018 trigger. Installed in a 2313L Alu stock, mounted a "better quality" scope in good rings. Tried several manufactures ammo, Etc. Still had the "flier", 2 out 10 times...... it turned out to be the scope not holding zero! Installed a new Weaver T-36 and never looked back. the best $ spent on searching for ammo...sent barreled action to Lapua Test Center in Mesa, AZ. For $50 they will test all the lots of ammo they have till they find a killer lot. E.O.S.
    willy

12. Luckybutt

Luckybutt

Have Mark Penrod cut you a new barrel!

13. deepwater

deepwater Silver $$ Contributor

Even with a new barrel, aren't the bedding/action screw torque still issues?

14. 1813benny

1813benny

Deepwater
    I agree with you 100%. Jumping right into a new barrel can be a $600 screw up if one does not eliminate the other possible issues. Plenty of items to look at before the barrel on a 20xx series action.
    Regards
    ken

15. Intell

Intell

Yes there are lots of variables. If the rifle is shooting 3s with no tuner, no wind flags, and untested mixed lots of ammo, there may be nothing wrong with it. ive only seen one 2013 that was somewhat competive in rimfire BR, and it was so worked over the man would have been money ahead to have had built something else. It's dosent take long to shoot up 3 1/2 bricks of tenX,and that's the same price as a new barrel. I've watched shooters shoot thousands of dollars worth of ammo year after year through a barrel that just won't get it done, barrels are cheap in comparison. If the OP is wanting a rimfire that shoots in the 1s, the first thing is wind flags. Without them you will never know what it's capible of. Knowing how to read the flags is another varible. Starting out in rimfie is so hard because unless you have proven ammo you don't know if your rifle is capible. Unless you have a proven rifle, you don't know if your ammo lot# is capible. then you may discover some problem in your rest that has made you think you have a ammo or rifle problem. And so on and so on.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Boyd L. and hpshooter like this.
  16. Crackerbacks

Crackerbacks Silver $$ Contributor

Hey guys I appreciate all the advice. My wife was having some health issues so needless to say everything else went on hold. I will read through all of the posts and let you guys know what I find hopefully tomorrow

17. ebb

ebb

Wow a whole lot of advise and no one mentioned using a lead removing cleaner.

18. willymakit

willymakit

ebb, the match grade ammunition used in this rifle doesn't lead the barrel.

19. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Crackerbacks,
    Got news for ya...your Anschutz doesn't like Eley ammo. Neither did mine. After spending a summer testing every known brand of Rimfire Match Ammo, I ended up using Federal Ultra Match UM 22 that won me some matches and Lapua Midas Plus and CenterX for practice, neither of which was "cheap." Fact is Rimfire Rifles are EXTREMELY sensitive in terms of accuracy when it comes to the Ammunition till will shoot. Give UM22 or even the Lapua a try as you already obviously know Eley won't get it with your rifle. I also tried various lots of Eley (all three top brands) in my rifle and they all SUCKED!

Alex

Cagie1, USMCDOC and boltfluter like this.
  20. Intell

Intell

II.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017