Dicks Shedding Hunting Gear, Rifles, and Field and Stream.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Texas10, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  2. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Their stock went down 11% yesterday.;)

3. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

That could simply be short sellers driving the price down temporarily. If it goes back up today, you know it's just profit takers manipulating the market.

4. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Gold $$ Contributor

Could it have anything to do with their changed policies, and their corporates attitude toward firearms?
    They may have kicked themselves in their Own Dicks

5. ebb

ebb

I don't know whether it is a smaller market, (less hunters) or company politics, but I do know the help will ignore customers, and are rude when you finally get one to come your way. I always puzzled me that they had dozens of scopes, but very few choices of rings.

6. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Dick's had already done this once before, IIRC. It was after Sandy Hook.
    There are a couple of Dick's Sporting Goods and a F&S store in my area. They have gotten not a penny from me in years.

mikeinct, rebel and Urv like this.
  7. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

It's been a pretty steady decline since their decision to take "assault" weapons off the shelves and start a minimum 21 years old to buy ammo restriction.....but I'm sure that has nothing to do with their stock price or their earnings. Purely coincidental I'm sure :rolleyes:.

8. bugman

bugman Gold $$ Contributor

good riddance

mikeinct, Cloudrepair, rebel and 2 others like this.
  9. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

My stepdaughter worked for F&S as of yesterday. There was rumors of closing down the store, they were cutting her hours to a handful/week, and she noticed a definite fall off in activity after they publicized their new policy on 'assault weapons'/went P.C.. It has been downhill in that location since. Perhaps coincidence but most likely not. I live in hunting and fishing paradise in South Louisiana and very vocal opinions abounded concerning the P.C. reactions of different corporations after the Parkland, FL school shooting. Many people I spoke to refused to give Dick's/F&S any business. Perhaps that chatter held true after all.

mikeinct, boltfluter and mike06 like this.
  10. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

As above See ya later. Sell more Nike crap.

wbm likes this.
  11. wkdickinson

wkdickinson Silver $$ Contributor

+1 - Personally, I will never even walk into a Dick's or Field & Stream store again.

mike06, odie, 1BAD284 and 1 other person like this.
  12. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

been on the news since yesterday, going to stop selling firearms in 125 stores.

13. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

Thinking this over, it's a PR scam. It's free advertising. They suck and are losing sales. Going up against Walmart Oh Noes !! They made this same announcement or move before. It's just getting recycled for free ad space. BFD. Yay for soccer moms against blood carnage killing.

Urv likes this.
  14. corning

corning

I never viewed dick's as being a credible gun shop/dealer, so, who cares?

mikeinct, kneedtospeed and Mark W like this.
  15. bward6mm

bward6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Took the wife shopping yesterday, to a normally busy mall, in Saugus Massachusetts. Yup Liberal Mass.. While she was killing my credit card elsewhere, I went into Dick's sporting goods store. With their recent policy in mind on selling AR-15's etc., my curiosity was piqued. A handful of shoppers , at best were there. Not much in the way of sales personnel present either. I went into the gun department/hunting/fishing section to satisfy my curiosity to find out if there was any buying activity going on. I spent 15 minutes there. Other than a guy in his 20's-30's looking at fishing rods, there was no sales people and no other customers walking around. Also, although plenty of rifles and shotguns were on the shelves, Hunting stuff like tree stands, bows, targets, misc reloading, shooting gear which is usually on sale this time of the year, were scarce.
    When I canceled my Dick's Sporting Goods account, by email I left a nasty opinion contrary to their decision to side with a liberal attitude on "assault weapons and ammo/gun buying.
    I walked out of Dick's with a smile on my face, thinking us gun owners, hunters -Done Good.
    My wife and my credit card- well that's another story.

mikeinct, GotRDid, Texas10 and 8 others like this.
  16. JBO

JBO Gold $$ Contributor

+1

17. LCazador

LCazador Competitive shooter and reloader for 50 years+ Silver $$ Contributor

Their business down turn is not due to lack of a generation of customers, it's their own views on firearms and the second amendment. Actually firearms interest from the new generation and ownership has actually increased over the past 5 years. It's not so amazing that Dicks is part of the fake news and embraces the anti-gun crowd. Hopefully a bankruptcy is in order for Dicks!! PS. Dicks has closed several stores here!

18. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

It's their story they can tell it any way they like.. I say BS. This is a result of consumers leaving in droves over their gun policy..

stacy, mikeinct, muleman69 and 2 others like this.
  19. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Dick's CEO and stock holders will soon really learn that how they treated gun owner and buyers is taking a major effect on their stock market and store sales.
    They just did not stop and think that the gun owners they went against in support of the gun control/confiscation folks thinking it would stop criminals, had no effect on criminals, but sure stopped gun buyers, who also bought other items that Dick's sold i.e. clothing, fishing gear and you name it, from returning to Dick's for any further purchases at the store/chain, including Field and Stream outlets. I say, great, and I hope they shortly all go bankrupt, then they can ask the gun confiscation folks for help in keeping their salaries and store open.. Fat chance of that.

boltfluter, bward6mm and mike06 like this.
  20. BW

BW Silver $$ Contributor

They've been dead to me for years anyway....