designing/machining own action

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by fusionrider, Nov 5, 2008.

1. vintec

vintec

I may have missed it some where on this thread but, how did you or are you going to cut front cam on the inner recoil lug.

2. fusionrider

fusionrider

I am sorry for the lapse in the posting but my shop time is being consumed by those darned paying jobs that come along now and then. :rolleyes:

I am planning on a helical cutting tool that I still need to make. It is hard to explain but I belive there are pictures of this some where online. You make a "tube " and put a angled or helical slot in one side then insert a shaft that has a pin that slides in this slot, then attach a handle and cutter to each end, and postition the assebly over the action in the milling machine and work the tool back and forth and lower the quill,or raise knee) to determine the depth of cut.

3. vintec

vintec

I found the tool on practical machinsit. I had had something similar in mind now just find time to set up the 4th axis

4. Tucker65

Tucker65 Gold $$ Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering the same thing about cutting the reliefs for the bolt lugs. Do you have any pictures of the design you are going to use? I am going to build an action someday myself and this was one of the problems I had yet to figure out on how to cut.

And by the way you are doing a great job on this and please keep the posts going on this. I just wish I had the time right now to get my project going.

vintec,

Can you send me a link to the tool you found to do this on Practical Machinist. I would like to tale a look at it to see if it might work for my application.

Thanks, John

5. vintec

vintec

John,

Here is the link.
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172498&page=2

6. MikeyG

MikeyG

What a great effort. I am drooling over you action and tool access. If only I ahd access to such toys I could start some of my projects.

7. Mechdraw

Mechdraw

Hello fusionrider
    Any chance of getting the cad files in sat format to study the action. I dont have the gear to build an action but i am a draftie and like to see how things are done.

regards

8. fusionrider

fusionrider

I am now in the process of making the lug cam cutting tool and it should be done by the end of the week,if I can get the hang of 4 axis programing). All is cut and ready except the helical slot.

bolster,
    I would be happy to send you the files but I am not sure about the .sat file type. I have a data migration tool but have never used it so I am not sure about converting the file types.

Sawyer

9. medicineman

medicineman

Have you given any thought about cutting the ramps using an endmill and helical interpolation? That's how Stiller cuts his. It will not cut a perfect helical cam, but it will be close enough to function perfectly.

10. fusionrider

fusionrider

I would like to know how that is done, because the way I picture it in my head the end mill would cut a dish shape and wouldn't be able to get right into the corner. The dish could be eliminated with several passes to smooth the contour but you would still have a fillet in the corner and in my design that wouldnt clear.

Another Idea I had was to use the 4axis HMC with a stationary tool and use it as a shaper.

11. KBattenbough

KBattenbough

fusionrider
    I can visualise what you are saying about the dish like path being cut, but what if you tilted the action so that the flat on the bottom of the endmill was on the same plane as the ramp? I think that could work?

KB

12. KBattenbough

KBattenbough

Thinking more about it, you would probably need to use something shaped like a woodruff cutter so that the shaft of the cutter doesnt touch and foul the threads of the action.Hope this makes sense?

KB

13. gamma

gamma

Fusionrider,have we any update on your progress to date.Wouldnt mind seeing if you got any further.Ive been thinking hard about doing something similar myself but we have too many chiefs hovering around to take the plunge.Im hoping to get working nightshift soon but they wont have it.If I do get to do nights at some stage,the Mazak Integrex is going to get put to some what I would call real use.Im weighing up all of the neccessary tooling needed at the moment and storing it in a nice safe little place for when its needed I wont have much of a job finding it.Doing cam angles on this baby should be an absolute dream.If I ever could find the funding,I would have one of these tomorrow.

14. fusionrider

fusionrider

little problem

well in haste I just came up with a Y value for the helix drop distance over 90-A-axis deg of somthing like 1.1775' as this would meke a 45deg distance = drop cut in the 1.5' main tube of the tool. I did this forgetting that the angle will change substatialy over the difference in diameters of the tube and the actual cut,would have been almost 60deg!). So today I will put it back in and program a .687' drop in 90deg which should result in a 45deg cut in my action.

sawyer

15. medicineman

medicineman

The angle should be equal to the angle of the extraction cam. It will be close to 1.5' per revolution.
    I recut many Savages to a corrected ramp. At the factory, they use a 3/8 endmill, which with the dished cut leaves the ramp higher on the outside. I use a 3/16' endmill, and make multple passes toward the center. I also make a secondary angle cut to blend the two so they are not as abrupt.You must remember that the leading edge of the bolt lug is riding this cam approx. .220' in front of the center line.

16. JayIdaho

JayIdaho

I made the tool to cut the clearance on the lug abutment shown at:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172498 not the nice one, but the ugly one that also has photos of the finished cut.
    The helical slot that worked best was cut with the tube in my super spacer and a 3/8 endmill on my Bridgeport. Sucessive cuts were made moving the table,X) .005 for each degree of rotation. Slots were cut at the same time/setup using .004 and .006 X movement for each degree of rotation. .005 worked best.
    The cutting setup has the tool in the spindle but with the spindle locked, no rotation. The cutting tool is centered over the receiver. The cutter is moved through it's full range on each pass. The cutting tool ends it movement after leaving the abutment,pass compelted). The cutting tool begins it's pass before it begins cutting. The table is raised about .001-.002 per pass. The actual cut distance is quite short,see photos) and it takes less than 5 minutes per lug. Rotate Super Spacer 180º, lower table and proceed to cut second cam surface.
    Can't provide dimensions as I gave the tool to a friend that was beginning to build actions for sale. Last I heard, it had cut hundreds of receivers. He leaves it setup in an old vertical mill and that is the only use the machine gets.

Jay, Idaho

17. jamesh

jamesh

Wow Jay. I think I saw your tool in action.
    I was very impressed with how well it worked.:thumb:

[​IMG]

James

18. fusionrider

fusionrider

I started back in on the action yesterday and plan on messing with it this week.

I have the lug ramps cut and an aluminum test bolt made, all functions and works smoothly. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trigger and cocking piece are next on the list.

Sawyer

19. gamma

gamma

Id be interested to hear a bit more from Fusionrider as to how this project ever faired out.Long time since we got any feedback.

20. fusionrider

fusionrider

Sorry for the progress dropping off. I am ready to cut the port for the trigger and drill/tap the action screw holes. The bolt shroud and cocking piece are done and I have a function testing aluminum bolt in it now. The mill and lathe have been busy in our shop constantly and tearing down the mills fixtureing just for this non-paying project is not an option quite yet.

Thanks for the intrest,

Sawyer