Deer stand preparation

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Immike, Sep 2, 2019.

1. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Got a peg leg visiting the feeder now. Beats the heck out of me how he's survived.

EK000080(1).jpg

2. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

FE7919B0-2F82-42DE-8C60-4C504D69901A.jpeg

Went out last night and noticed that the (7) deer that came in would only eat clover for 15min and dive back in the trees for acorns. I’m definitely hunting the acorns in the morning! Need to work on the glass of the tall stand before the real hunting gets going. I used open cell foam as gaskets between the windows and it’s not lasting well, switching everything over to closed cell foam.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    hogpatrol and MikeT49 like this.
  3. Immike

0B5D8AE4-185E-417F-AF22-FDCF827F0087.jpeg

Looks like twins. Had a very exciting morning guys, things are heating up!

I guess I ought to set that calendar and clock. Lol

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

I bet that was painful!:D:D:D

Immike, Bc'z, MikeT49 and 1 other person like this.
  5. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

In addition to the 10er and the big 8 I have a target in mind. I'll bet all of you have had issues with a smart old matriarchal herd doe. We got one. I've dubbed her Miss Misery from the Nazareth song. She's a beeaaatch! :mad: IIRC my bud thinks she's 7 1/2 maybe older. Walks around looking up into the trees and snorts when a mouse farts. Never gives ya a clean shot at the vitals. Totally hoses up your sit. This year we all have extra doe tags. :) Miss Misery is at the top of the "Needs Killin' list". Hopefully we'll be munching on her tenderloins for breakfast in camp. Paybacks are hell.

hogpatrol, Immike and Bc'z like this.
  6. Immike

175C43AF-392E-4D03-A4B8-7937987118C5.jpeg

Had to push this one back to get in the stand this morning, but he lost track of me and was back walking around right at light. So far I’m still hidden!

hogpatrol and Bc'z like this.
  7. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Now your showing off!! Lol
    I'd a whacked his ass!!
    Mmmmmm pepperoni!

hogpatrol, MikeT49 and Immike like this.
  8. Immike

There’s a better one that I watched from the tall stand yesterday. He’s got one split G2 but is heavy framed. I’m in no hurry to go home right now anyway, I enjoy the hunting too much!

Rube Shooter, MikeT49 and Bc'z like this.
  9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe next year I should come out your way and pick up your scraps! Lol
    I've seen the collection of memories you got hanging on the wall, that big'un will be along before to long.

Immike likes this.
  10. Immike

This hunting is like the tide, it goes your way sometimes and slips away just as quick. I try to stay ready and hunt when energized and excited about it. Opportunity is fleeting and I keep that in mind when I hunt. I have missed my share of it don’t want to miss anymore if possible! Lol I’m taking a catch up on work break and will resume the hunt next week after letting the weekend noise makers push them back on me. Lol

Edit, got to see my twins this morning and they need to grow some more. Pair of nice 8’s still hanging together means it’s not time yet.

Btw guys, if you are going to cut any brush for camouflage do it now while it’s still green and the leaves will hang on through the winter.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Bc'z and MikeT49 like this.
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

we saw a bunch of small bucks the other evening after a good rain bunched up and separate from the doe's.

MikeT49 and Immike like this.
  12. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Probably has a big ol' mule head on her to. Those old does are smart.

MikeT49 and Immike like this.
  13. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

Miss Misery is pretty big, probably 200 lbs plus on the hoof, 170 or so field dressed. Biggest doe the people I have hunted with have shot had a field dressed weight of 188 lbs. Field dressed to me is body cavity cleaned out, nothing else removed.
    We have no fields where I hunt. It's gonna have to be up close and personal. Plan A is I'm gonna put a hanging stand where she walks back and forth snorting at my bud when he's sitting in his ladder stand. Hopefully, I can run a sharp stick through her when she's right in the middle of a snort. She should leak pretty bad for 10 seconds or so.

hogpatrol and Immike like this.
  14. Immike

One of my favorite hunting memories is taking out one of these super savvy old does that ruined my season. Spent nearly a hour trying to put her on the tailgate. Lol
    Killed her last day of season but should have done it earlier!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    MikeT49 likes this.
  15. rebel

If y'all remember, my condo got put on it's hind end 2 Octobers ago by a storm that had some pretty wicked tornadoes in them.
    [​IMG]
    Amazingly, it suffered little damage and I made it hunt-able fairly quickly. New steps from the front, a bigger landing with a rail. Got the twist out of it. This year, a new roof, blacked out on the inside and camo netting on the front. It seemed to almost glow in the evening sun on the front. Hopefully, the field it's in will be in soybeans next year instead of what the guy that rents it now calls hay. Plantain and ragweed with some Johnson grass. Anyway, ready to go now. I'll post a pic this evening whenever my rural internet will allow me to.

hogpatrol, Immike and MikeT49 like this.
  16. Immike

1EDAF901-EFB3-41FC-AFF6-D613ED72DB18.jpeg

The damn deli was still closed this morning so I bought a ham and had it sliced free for $5.49 instead of the deli ham for $7.99
    Should have enough sandwich meat for the rest of the month! I’m glad the weekend is over so I can get back to hunting mornings!! Just got to get these little details out of the way like how to stay alive during the hunt!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. Immike

9FD4E84B-1373-4E19-9CA0-C55F8D3AD548.jpeg

Here’s the view Saturday morning from a stand I built. The brassicas barely survived the hot dry spell but the winter rye has saved the day again!

hogpatrol, NCVarhtr and MikeT49 like this.
  18. rebel

Finally- the Lazarus stand! Much improved.
    [​IMG]

hogpatrol, snert, NCVarhtr and 2 others like this.
  19. Immike

B47A5221-FD86-4A89-BF4E-E6F2280EA1A3.jpeg 50+ pictures from that damn camera and only one deer rump in the bunch. Lmao Hunting suddenly got quite but I expect a storm soon! Found a decent rub today so you know what that does to a guy!!
    Sit the clover field stand this evening and found the rub on the edge but only 3 does came out this evening. Best is yet to come so I’m looking around! No hurry just want to be ready right now...

Edit: good activity this morning with several walking around feeding on acorns. Rut is about 2weeks away now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  20. Rube Shooter

Rube Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Not much on my camera except wild pigs but I have a pretty nice high hat 8 pointer that showed up. Doesn't have good brow tines but looks to have decent spread and height. STC_0031.JPG

MikeT49, hogpatrol and Immike like this.