Deer stand preparation

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Immike, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

23551FF2-7CAD-46FA-AD45-48144B240BF1.jpeg 33F9C5B6-5C34-45EE-930A-D043A8F43E48.jpeg

Today didn’t go exactly as planned, that’s a little spike that hung around until the split G2 10pt came in and was feeding his way to me. But then all hell breaks loose with a cattle stampede of escapees on the run.

rebel, MikeT49 and hogpatrol like this.
  2. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I hear cows eat pretty good!!
    I've been screwed by free range cows a few times.

MikeT49 and Immike like this.
  3. Immike

I came home and cooked a steak just to get even...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Riesel, pirate ammo, rebel and 4 others like this.
  4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Lmao

Immike likes this.
  5. Rube Shooter

Rube Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

I feel your pain Mike. The property I hunt has cattle on it as well as the surrounding properties. I too have been victimized over the years by surprise bovine invasions in the middle of hunting, usually the land owners and occasionally the neighbors cattle when they manage to find a weak spot in the fence.

6. Immike

Those crazy cats jumped out of a trailer on the way to the sale barn... the owner drove all the way there with a empty trailer lol
    I will just go back to business in the morning, it’s still early in the season.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  7. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

They knew what was fixing to happen.:eek::eek::eek:

MikeT49, Immike and Rube Shooter like this.
  8. Rube Shooter

Those damn cows think they pulled a quick one but the jokes on them, lol. Can't wait to see if the 10 pointer pulls in a bigger buck for you. Rifle season starts for us in 3 weeks down here, I'm still seeing nothing but signs of pigs inside the fences and cows around my feeders. My camera crapped out on me but I can see there are deer coming to my feeders. Best of luck to you sir.

MikeT49, pirate ammo and Immike like this.
  9. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

In Bastrop Co. I got a 10 and a couple of 8's showing up, maybe 2 smaller ones,8 or 9 does. The pigs show up at different times, their hard to figure out.

Rube Shooter likes this.
  10. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

Per the MRI from my bud in Wisconsin, there's a 10 with a drop a big 8 hanging out near where one of my stands is going. Nice information. However, he knows how I am. I see a legal fat healthy deer, I see meat. He tells me that when I get there this year we're having a rack hanging ceremony for the giant 3 pt I got last year. It's gong on the "Wall of Shame" as he calls it. I hope he lets me back on his property to hunt. I'll have to promise not to shoot any more babies. My fingers will be crossed behind my back.:rolleyes:

Rube Shooter, hogpatrol and Immike like this.
  11. Immike

Let me tell you guys my sandwich formula, get 1-2lb of Tavern ham sliced 1/4” thick and 1/2 lb of Swiss cheese , fresh bread and miracle whip in the squeeze bottle. Damn easy to throw together on the run and hard to beat! A couple mini bags of peanuts and your good to go all day or 2 days.

Saw lots of deer today but the bucks aren’t doing anything yet. Acorns got them busy.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    msinc, Rube Shooter and MikeT49 like this.
  12. MikeT49

My hunting bud reports the acorns in N Wi are so plentiful, it's like walking on marbles. Both White Oaks and Red Oaks. Excellent for the critters. However, kind of a problem to pattern the deer.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Immike likes this.
  13. Immike

96072B43-115B-41CA-81FD-75DCA3033C2C.jpeg
    We don’t have them like that at all this year, wet spring but when it goes dry and the trees are loaded it forced them to abort the crop. When deer do find them they are staying put eating them in heavy cover. We just had our first freezing morning so fall colors are coming and leaves will start falling soon. I’m going out in the morning anyway and maybe get a better look at the split G2 10pt in the daylight soon.

300_whisper, Rube Shooter and MikeT49 like this.
  14. Rube Shooter

That's good to hear on the bucks and the does. The pigs on my pasture are showing up not too long after the feeders go off, if not within the hour from what I have seen on the camera. Found this pig passing through one of the pastures on the way to check my feeders this morning, I think he was hit with an arrow as I didn't see any exit wound on the upright side. thumbnail (1).jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  15. Immike

28DF9895-D828-492E-9BC0-3B2A28BA1F50.jpeg 358FBA90-2664-4047-BEC4-F0826B60BD4E.jpeg

I guess I should have hunted tonight, my mother sent me this a hour ago. Didn’t have a wind advantage so I worked today instead. I think those are all decoys out there for what I’m hunting! That pin oak is right outside the kitchen window and is a good acorn producer. They will all be under it soon as they think the coast is clear.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  16. MikeT49

MRI: My bud was out today with the guy who has the neighboring ground. They were hanging a new treestand. Good news, boys and girls, the first scrapes are showing up. This is at about 45.5 degrees North.

Bc'z and Immike like this.
  17. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I've yet to see the 1st rub in the willows yet.
    Was hoping all the wet cooler weather we normally don't get this early will help them flip the switch.

18. Immike

8967C87F-D140-4F47-A835-9448DF5AC91C.jpeg

Looks like I have a nice 8pt around. This is the worst camera ever made. Lol it’s taken 20 pictures of nothing to get one deer picture. Lmao
    Don’t pay any attention to the date and time please, I didn’t set it

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  19. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Damn your guy's deer are big bodied!!
    It looks like he's looking up to say.....
    Are you really thinking about making pepperoni outta me?

Why yes I am!

20. Immike

This might be a better deer than the picture shows, hopefully see him in the daylight soon. Another picture would be nice but I’m surprised I got this one actually. Lol
    I got a whole bunch of empty trail pics of something that just went by. They don’t seem to be interested in the mineral pile right now with acorns falling.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Bc'z and MikeT49 like this.