Deer stand preparation

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Immike, Sep 2, 2019.

1. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

I do have a deer stand prep question. Like this deer hunting discussion and too lazy to babysit a new thread. My necks starting to swell up and I have an urge to rub my forehead on trees and get downwind of bicycle parking racks. Getting seriously pumped about my upcoming hunt back home in Wisconsin. Got plenty of tags. If the rain don't stop, will be hunting lake shore instead of swamp/high ground edge areas.
    For those of you that hunt out of ladder stands. One of my hunting Bud's has Parkinson's. He had an issue with a stepladder while helping his daughter, broke ribs, etc. Doctor asked him if he hunted and in particular in treestands. Was advised not to do so. You know he's gonna hunt, only 72. He's the old fart in camp, I'm the nubbin, only 70. My other hunting bud who is at damn near dead territory at 71 and I are working on fall restraint ideas for the old fart. I wear a harness and use a fall guy retractor or prussiac knot rope system for my hang on stands. Climbing a ladder stand is a smidge different. I'm thinking, still use the harness system but instead use the D rings at the harness waist for attachment. Is there a better way? Don't wanna lose the old fart.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Bc'z and Immike like this.
  2. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Building a shorter platform stand on a hillside with stairs on the uphill side is a good way to go and still get a elevated view without the inevitable falling.

MikeT49 likes this.
  3. longtrapshootn

longtrapshootn

I think the 330g icb cage would be a great size. You could literally sit a recliner in there. I use burlap for my stand camo. All natural and works fantastic. The more ragged it is, the more natural it looks. I only get about 2 years out of the burlap sitting in the weather, but it's just too perfect to not use.

4. Immike

A632D908-0DD3-4C65-80A0-5B0D5F7A8F4B.jpeg 0CE5C3A2-7646-489C-B88F-4EBE14E51A60.jpeg C46BBFAE-88D1-4BD0-96A4-3DE2AE71F4EF.jpeg

Got some maintenance done today, replaced the P hose that the squirrels decided to eat. Pretty hot here still but that’s going to change Wednesday night finally... getting ready!

Bc'z likes this.
  5. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

You've been prepping that thing all year, when you going to move in?

MikeT49 likes this.
  6. Immike

I have 3 stands Dan so I can move around, might have to after frying a burger on the stove this morning and she found the mess. Lol

I’ll be hunting every day soon as these 90 degree days are over.

7. foxguy

foxguy Gold $$ Contributor

Hi Mike, that stand/blind looks to be about 16' up. Nice viewing from up there?

8. Immike

21’ to the floor, top of the world sitting on that ridge!! I wish I still had the photos of it going up was something else to see! Especially the roof because I had to lift it well above the stand and tilt it under a limb but everything went according to plan and it’s really cool stand to sit in and I’ve killed some nice bucks from it already. Have hunted that spot since I was a kid and want my ashes spread there...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Rube Shooter, Bc'z and MikeT49 like this.
  9. pirate ammo

My daughter is the ONLY person in the world that I know of that can blow up a hard boiled egg on the stove top, darn stuff went everywhere. 5 eggs in a pot with water, turns on the heat,
    goes and takes a shower and forgets eggs, water boils completely out,small boom as eggs explode all over kitchen. I'm at my shop and get a weird phone call about checking to see if the
    burner is still on, what the heck go look, Get home Phideoux's fighting to get out the door, talk about a smell, bad, never knew a boiled egg could stink so bad.The range hood contained
    most of the egg shrapnel but some was still on the counter top and floor 8 FT. away, never saw anything like it before.The only thing I did was grab Phideoux and beat a path to the door
    all the time yelling "you better clean this mess up before your mom gets home" stayed away from that place till my wife got home and told her to hold her nose,just in case.
    Unfortunately I'm not talking about a 20 something, but a somewhat older college educated don't know how to boil water young lady. Tell your wife if it's only a little hamburger grease
    it could be a whole lot worse.

KMart, MikeT49, Bc'z and 1 other person like this.
  10. Immike

DF0D8B23-02DC-479A-96D1-595BD49133AE.jpeg

One more day of this ridiculous misery (work and heat) and I can finally get out and enjoy some fall weather! Wouldn’t have been so bad but the fish wasn’t biting. Lol
    Hunting the tall stand Thursday morning!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  11. Immike

CFA899D6-2CDF-4868-872B-4AF502B94541.jpeg

Finally getting some pictures with the help of minerals. Had this one walking around this morning, he definitely shows potential for being a awesome deer soon! Going back early tomorrow morning.

12. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

95 degrees here yesterday and dry as dust. Been wanting to get out and see if this guy will make an appearance in
    daylight but don't want to pick up as many ticks as he's going to have.
    EK000030(1).JPG

13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

You figure he's 200lb

14. hogpatrol

Hard to say but he's probably close to it. All farms and woodlots so they have unlimited food supply for most of the year. Let em walk just came by a short while ago.:D

Attached Files:

Immike likes this.
  15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

He's a brute!
    We get a few big bodied deer on west side of cascades, and they aren't even close to that size.

16. hogpatrol

Our area, all private property and a lot of high dollar horse farms, has less hunters every year and the bucks seem to be just getting bigger and more abundant. It's to the point now where they are considered pests. End of season, it's not unusual to see 40 to 50 out grubbing for corn.

IIRC, we counted 47 in this herd, last day of deer season. My hide was a big cherry log just to the right of the three trees at the top of the photo. They must have known I wasn't there. :D
    Deer_at_Dutchs(1).jpg

Immike and MikeT49 like this.
  17. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Wow!

18. Immike

00B96DE1-07C6-4F81-8C70-013279D76312.jpeg

Decided to install a full tank on the backside of the stand using a old style wire milk crate for a basket. I like it, gets the tank off the ground and I didn’t have to buy a expensive hose either! Luckily I had a moldy old brown tank already that needed filled.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  19. Immike

F3B1DC39-EAC7-4200-B706-BD63E6EAEC27.jpeg

I think I’ll try out that heater in the morning! I gotta stop working and start hunting!

Edit: got my boots on and sandwiches made, just need a break in the rain so I can get out the door! Lol

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    MikeT49 and hogpatrol like this.
  20. pirate ammo

Deer hunters condo.

Immike and MikeT49 like this.