Deer hunting in the good ole days....

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by daleboy, Sep 19, 2019.

1. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Saw this picture,brought back some fond memories . I remember carrying our pack-baskets full of traps along with or 22s/shotguns on the bus in the morning . Left them on the bus all day without a worry. After school the old bus driver (Pete Bellis) would drop us off at the railroad tracks and we would work our way home checking traps and hunting ruffed grouse and rabbits .

Bus driver and deer.jpg

2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

That's fantastic! Today, there'd be film at eleven.:(

3. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

in the 4th grade, my English teacher's name was Ms. Marion, here in SC. She brought her Great great grand father's dueling pistols to school to show her classes. His name was Francis Marion.

Ed, Prose, jbarnwell and 7 others like this.
  4. K22

K22

I do remember the good old days of deer hunting. My father was an avid deer hunter - for meat only - never kept a rack or displayed one in our house and he shot a few nice 6 and 8 points. Mom was an outstanding game cook.

In those days 3" spike deer were legal during buck season. Dad took whatever was first available and legal - racks meant nothing to him. During his hunting career, my dad took 18 bucks and a bunch of doe with an open sight 30-30, Model 94, Winchester in the "big woods" of north central PA.

I can remember the deer tied around the side of his car when he came home from the cabin after a successful deer hunt. Today that would cause a scandal for sure.:eek:

5. fantastic

fantastic

Blood dripping from a school bus, CNN would have loved this.

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

I grew up in northern Wisconsin in the 70's. One year our grade school principal closed down the school for the week of deer hunting, Thanksgiving week.

Barlow, MikeT49, jimcasey01 and 2 others like this.
  7. jimcasey01

jimcasey01

My (7 greats) uncle, Sgt William Casey fought under a Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox) during the Revolutionary War.

Ed, PhilKeil, Ol’ Ed and 1 other person like this.
  8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Back when I first started, we shot anything with horns. This photo is from '68. I wore the same clothes to church, work, shopping, socializing, and hunting. IIRC, the jacket was shiny blue nylon with fake fur lining and the pants were green corduroy. My didn't get a deer brother is in the background giving me his Italian opinion. Rifle was a Remington 660 that was eventually stolen and never recovered. That deer went down the PA Turnpike strapped across the trunk of a 63 BelAir. Those were the days.:D

P1130736.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    NA Woody, 1BAD284, CT10ring and 11 others like this.
  9. rr2030

rr2030

[Boris Bqaddenoff voice "ON"]

"In Communist country, Deer shoot you !"

10. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

The days of taking out guns to school and leaving them in the gun rack in the PU or on the back seat of a car, are long gone. It was just common practice during hunting seasons and no one was shot and it was a very rare thing for one to be stolen.
    Deer over the fender/hood or visible in the PU bed were very common and everyone checked them out. Again long gone are those fine old days. Sad really. And I am sure glad I grew up when this was a common fall site.

mrjdasr, 'Freak, hogpatrol and 3 others like this.
  11. Hino895

Hino895 Silver $$ Contributor

I remember taking my mossberg 500 apart and wrapping it in a towel.
    Taking it to school, putting it in my locker and after school walking out in the woods and squirrel hunting afterwards.
    I don’t think you can do that anymore.

hogpatrol and McGraw like this.
  12. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

A few of us real intelligent boys would show up at school in the morning, and decide it was too pretty of a day to be in school. We had our gear, and we either went fishing or hunting. Our rear ends were also warmed up accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

North Central Wisconsin in the 60's, most of the schools would close, along with most of businesses except for the bars, restaurants & gas stations.

hogpatrol and McGraw like this.
  14. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I remember when we were 14 years old and we had "show and tell" usually from summer vacations or Christmas etc.. My friend brought in a 12 gauge shotgun after Christmas vacation for show and tell! Every once in awhile he could bring the gun to school and keep it in the Principal's office to go hunting after his dad picked him up early from school! GREAT time to have been a kid!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    MikeT49, 'Freak, hogpatrol and 3 others like this.
  15. buckhunter62

buckhunter62

My Grand kids go tp school in Hayward Wi. They still close the week of Thanks Giving for deer season. It's state holiday.

MikeT49 and mikeinct like this.
  16. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

The churlin would be traumatized! There would be rioting in the streets! The local PD as well as the stat police, FBI, TSA and DOJ would be called. Oh the horror!

'Freak and hogpatrol like this.
  17. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

Our local school is closed the week of gun deer season, and has been for many years. This in northeast Wisconsin. Barlow

Nowhere Man and MikeT49 like this.
  18. hunter67

hunter67

I can remember in the early 80's in HS. A teacher in class would say who has a jacknife I need to cut something and most the boys would produce one. Teachers always commented on the nice knives.

One day the teacher gave an assignment to teach the class something. I asked if I could show how to clean a rifle. She said go talk to the principle and if he is ok with it I am. Principle said take the bolt out when you get it out of the truck it will be fine. Funny while I was teaching my little class the girls were saying hey that is the was my brother and dad do it. And everyone knew the smell of Hoppes No 9. lol

1BAD284, ShootDots, McGraw and 3 others like this.
  19. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Our bus driver would try to run down coyotes with the bus. Lol

ckaberna, McGraw, SEM and 1 other person like this.
  20. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

The school would have to issue warnings about lead consumption and possible cwd. Extra grief counselors would have to be available, and the pagans would show up if someone was spotted praying.

Prose, ShootDots, MikeT49 and 2 others like this.