Decision time

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by jamesdmock, Feb 14, 2018.

1. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

Having a recommendation from 3 shooters that I respect, that I cut my 30 inch 6mm BR-AI barrel back to 28 inches, I have a decision to make. This is not an easy decision to cut the beautiful 32 threads/inch (for Ezell tuner) off a barrel that shoots fairly well. However, I have not been able to shoot this barrel as well as my older Dasher and like most shooters, I can't blame myself....so it must be that the barrel is too long. Bart cut his back from 30 to 28 and got good results. Tom Mousel and Alex Wheeler both recommended that I do the same. These are some pretty heavy weight shooters that recommend this.

I have decided to wait until after this Sat. (2/17/18) 600 yard match to make a final decision. If I do well, I will leave it at 30 inches. However, If I shoot a mediocre match, I am going to cut it back to 28 inches.

2. johara1

johara1

James, read back to 2011 and see when I cut them back because they shot better and the velocity loss was minimal. You will do better..... Jim

R.Morehouse and Alex Wheeler like this.
  3. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Its fun to experiment. Learning is my favorite part of this game. Just have more threads cut on for your tuner. I would also recommend trying it with and without the tuner at 600.

4. johara1

johara1

What Alex said............ Jim

5. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I have made my decision. I have shot three matches with the 30 inch 6 BRA and have yet to score 190 pts and have not shot a single "50". It may be me, but I shot 9, 190's and several 50's with the Dasher (28", no tuner). On Monday, I am getting a friend to cut the barrel to 28 inches. I may or may not have it threaded for the tuner. Both of these barrels are BRUX with 4-grooves and .236 bore. Thanks for the suggestions fellows. James

Rushty likes this.
  6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Just saw your new rifle, looks sweet. Looks like your back in the LR game!