December 7 2018

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by mrjdasr, Dec 6, 2018.

1. mrjdasr

mrjdasr

remember 77 years ago, Pearl Harbor

2. ND shooter

ND shooter

Agree and thanks for reminder.

Idaho-Lefty and GotRDid like this.
  3. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

YES ! Thank You ! For the reminder .I also celebrate Aug.6 and 9 th. when we dropped the bombs !

hogpatrol, 'Freak, GotRDid and 3 others like this.
  4. Wildcat455

Wildcat455

Yes sir. Actually started thinking about it yesterday.

It's not on the iPhone calendar... just an observance.

5. centerlineseal

centerlineseal Gold $$ Contributor

May they Rest in Peace.

Idaho-Lefty, GotRDid, New Gun and 2 others like this.
  6. Evan

Evan

That's a helluva thing to say. Remember and honor the dead, yes, but you celebrate the death and destruction of entire cities and hundreds of thousands of people who were largely civilians? I hope this was just a misunderstanding about your meaning of celebrate.

I believe we needed to drop those bombs but it was a dark moment in our history, just like when we were rounding up anyone of Asian appearance and putting them in detention camps.

7. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

As long as you were not going to be one of the one million American casualties invading Japan.

mrjdasr, GotRDid and New Gun like this.
  8. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

Damn Right! Or one of the men in the Bataan Death march !

'Freak, mrjdasr, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  9. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with every serving or retired vet in our country. My dad was in wwII at the end so he lived but I cant really put into words how deeply proud I am of every veteran living or passed away. They are our greatest asset we have and deserve to be taken care of for life. We shouldn't have a single man or woman homeless. The govt should put them in good living situations no matter what. If we can give people SSI or SSD that never worked we can damn well afford our vets. Sorry for the rant but it is embarrassing to watch people on capital hill not do something right now to protect our vets.

D Coots, 'Freak, mrjdasr and 9 others like this.
  10. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I was in the check out line at the local drug store today. Right in front of me was a gentleman with a WWII veterans hat on. I wished him a Happy Pearl Harbor Day and thanked him for his service. He returned the thanks and told me he remembered exactly where he was that day. I asked him how old he was, 94. He was sharp as a tack and looked great. Got around just fine too. I shook his hand and wished him well. I feel lucky to have happened across him on such an important day.

perazziguy, Tnslim, 'Freak and 4 others like this.
  11. teele1

teele1 Silver $$ Contributor

i wore my Remember Pearl Harbor shirt at work yesterday. So many folks looked and a few asked when is that, even tho the date was on the shirt.
    Even one young college age young lady asked what is that? Will the next generation do the same regarding 9/11/2001? Sad these kids aren't being taught AMERICAN history.
    A BIG thank you to all who have served so we can live in the land of the free.

'Freak, mikeinct, jghoghunter and 3 others like this.
  12. gunnermhr

gunnermhr

My grandfather was on the USS Phoenix that day, he never said much about it. I cannot imagine the fear and agony those fellas went though.

He was never one to talk bad about anyone, but I can assure you he was happy to see the bombs dropped, right or wrong, the guys that lived through that horrible day have a whole different outlook on the Japanese. And I dont think civilians of my generation or of the younger generations will ever understand the hatred our service members that were at Pearl Harbor have for the Japanese. I could show pictures he took oduring WWII that would give an entire different outlook .

God rest the men and women that paid the ultimate sacrifice December 7, 1941

13. mrmarmota

mrmarmota

My uncle arrived at Pearl Harbor on December 6th. Survived the attack and spent the next 3 months recovering and burying bodies.
    He passed a few years ago at the age of 93. To the best of my knowledge he never spoke of this experience.

New Gun likes this.
  14. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

Sir , In war people die. The idea is that they die not us! While the bombing of Japan was a human tragedy it did prevent many more from dying. I am very comfortable and thankful with the decision. Thank you all Vets.

15. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

On Dec 7, 1969 while stationed at Moffett Field, CA my daughter was born in Mountain View. A day of remembrance for our country and yet a happy day for this old CPO.

perry42

swd likes this.
  16. Jalen

Jalen

We actually dropped pamphlets in multiple cities warning the civilians to get out while they can. Not a very well known nugget of history but figured I’d pass it along

New Gun likes this.
  17. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

What is wrong or bad about bombing the enemy?

M-61 and New Gun like this.
  18. Evan

Evan

No one seems to be able to read what I wrote:

For the reasons you guys stated and many more, those bombs needed to be dropped, but celebrating it is dispicable. Who celebrates killing people? Extremists, Terrorists, murderers. That's who.

Both my grandpas were in that war. One was in the Pacific theater and the other liberated Dachau. Neither liked to discuss what they saw. They considered it their duty to be there but it left deep scars on them. I celebrate them, not the acts of violence we did to others.

simo hayha likes this.
  19. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

I read what you wrote. Maybe think about Celebrating the end of Human Atrocities and the fact that you could talk to them after they served.

20. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

Aw Shucks ! And I'm mean to butterflies too.