Dasher in a Rail Gun...?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by IdahoSharpshooter, Aug 9, 2018.

1. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

I am getting a rail gun in a couple months. It's first barrel will be a 6mm. I am considering either a standard 6BR or a Dasher. NO, I don't want a PPC.
    I am curious, how much fast a twist to order. I will likely shoot 300yds or less. It will be a "fun gun", just to enjoy shooting small groups.

The question: how much, if any will the standard Dasher 1:8" twist harm accuracy, compared to a 1:12"? I'll be shooting mostly 65-70gr bullets.

thanks,

Rich

Jason Boersma likes this.
  2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

"Fun Gun" for out to 300...........6BR.....Plug & Play. Please post a few pics when it arrives...........:cool:

Regards
    Rick

3. expiper

expiper

I shot a 6 BR rail for many years,,,it would group as good as a PPC,,,I just am not as good a shot as the traveling pros,,,,mine was 14 twist,,,if you shoot a Dasher in long range comp. it would make an excellent test bed for your loads,,,just remember what bullets you want to use/test and get the twist appropriate for that bullet,,,Roger,,,

JRS and Stan Taylor like this.
  4. BRGUY

BRGUY

This may be a dumb question, but considering the cartridge and bullet weights you listed, why not use a barrel with a 1-14" twist rate?

I shoot a 6mm Bench Rest with a 1-14" twist rate, and with bullets up to 80 grains, nothing shoots any better.

littlebuddybr, KMart and Ggmac like this.
  5. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

If i did a Dasher it woukd be an 8 twist to shoot the big bullets. I bet it would handle conditions pretty well. If I did the 6 BR it would be a slower twist. Matt

6. Ggmac

Ggmac

Use the 14 twist and the 70-80 pills . Why shoot heavier ? Your not going long range and not trying to kill anything but the paper . No sense in beating your equipment.

7. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Dasher coming to me very Soon ?
    I went 8 twist the plan is 300 to 1000 .
    I have the New Brass with .050 longer neck.
    I also will shoot 105 Berger's and 103 Vapor Trails .

I would go 8 ...:rolleyes:

8. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

Rich,
    I would go with A 6BR, 12 or 8 twist, but I would go with a 80 gr bullet out to 600yds. Now if you are looking at doing some long range, I would go with 8 tw Dasher or the new 6BRAI.

Mark Schronce

9. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

I have one right here in a 20 dasher going to start playing with it this weekend. 20180810_150720.jpg

10. 20-practical

20-practical Gold $$ Contributor

stan, what bullets are you using?

Stan Taylor likes this.
  11. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

I will be testing my bosses 54gr bullets along with Berger 55gr bullets I run them at about 3700 to 3750fps that's where seem to like.

12. 20-practical

20-practical Gold $$ Contributor

cool, thanks

13. IdahoSharpshooter

thank you all. Sound advice, based on actual experience.

I had a thought to get a "do it all" twist, like a 1:8". But, I am now convinced that a 1:12" will be the best option in terms of accuracy, and be able to shoot all of the custom bullets up to about 80gr.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  14. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

If was gonna shoot at 100 to 300 with that rail gun I would shoot a 30 br with those Bart s bullets.

15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Ive shot a railgun with bigger cases and faster twists and didnt think it worked very well. I wouldnt go faster than a 12” or bigger than a 6br (cant imagine putting anything but a ppc in one myself)

16. alinwa

alinwa

IMO this is the sort of question you must answer yourself.....you've got the goods.

I've got a rail and 5 barrel blanks ranging from 1:16"t to 1:8"t that I haven't played seriously with yet but when I do that's one of the questions I'll be working on (since I've already settled it to my satisfaction in BR and varmint-style guns)

Please share, whatever you find :)

17. expiper

expiper

many rail guns were 308 a few years ago,,,Jack Shafer won the super shoot with one,,,Ralph Stolle built the famos "ray guns" most were 308 or 222 variations,,,Roger

18. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

There was a time Larry radar had a match won and his 308 puked on the last target.

19. IdahoSharpshooter

To those of you with rail guns: once you have a barrel set up, do you ever switch barrels? I've had a couple excellent suggestions to fit a 30BR barrel instead. Is it a bigger PITA to switch than the extra "fun factor"?

thanks,

Rich

20. IdahoSharpshooter

Dusty,

where's the challenge in shooting a 6PPC?