Dasher/BRDX neck tension

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by mr.big, May 15, 2015.

1. mr.big

mr.big

I turned a few pieces of brass for my BRDX and the .266 bushing was too big,,with the .265 I have .0008 tension,,seems like that is very little but shot 5 rounds 105 VLD 36 gr H4350 in just over 1/2 inch at 300 yards so I am gonna do a few more and shoot a few more rounds and see how it goes,,
    anybody using much less than .001 neck tension in their Dasher/BRDX/BRX,,I dont have a .264 but if it goes haywire I can get one or start over with new brass,but it looks like it may be worth trying..

Gary Smith likes this.
  2. falconpilot

falconpilot Gold $$ Contributor

I've worn out a lot of Dasher barrels...001 has always been my setup and has always given me the best results..

Jim

3. mr.big

mr.big

.001 is what I was looking for but went just a little too much,,thats why I only did 5 cases to start with,,I will try again 5 more and see how it goes,,

4. gilream

gilream

Interesting. I'm brand spanking new to the 6BRX (and Bench Rest guns) and that surprises me. I've always thought in terms of .002 for most rifles. Is neck tension tied to type of powder and their differing burn rates? Or is this a standard setup for the 6mm Improved chamberings?

5. delivery_boy

delivery_boy

interesting jim, are you jamming bullets or jumping them?

Delivery_boy

6. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

If .001 is neck wall target, another option is stay within +/- .0002 variance and then measure the actual neck tension with a PSI bullet seater and sort by PSI. This also takes in the other variables like bullet diameter, neck smoothness, annealing, etc. What else? More toys!

7. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Just like Jim stated...My Dashers all have 1K or slightly less, neck tension. T-Rust me, they SHOOT!

8. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Mr.Big -

In my experience, they will change some as the brass is cycled and work-harden.
    With that said, what your learning from your brand new 5 pieces will change some.
    I strongly suggest to get a .264 bushing as well, so that you have added versatility to work with.

1-thousands is what I typically run for neck tension in all my 6Dasher's
    Donovan

DanSavage likes this.
  9. DanSavage

DanSavage

You will have too anneal to keep that light of tension consistent over the life of the brass.

10. Arky

Arky

My dasher has a 268 neck, I use a 262 die. Due to the fact that all neck thickness are not the same I go one step farther, I run the cases through my mandrel die. The mandrel measures 242. This gives me .001 tension with a finished round of .265 - .266

11. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

0.001" is what I strive for with my Palma loads, works great. Basically just enough to hold bullet in case neck during travels from loading room to match firing line w/o movement.

I'm in Arky's camp; use a mandrel to set final neck ID. (Turned) neck thicknesses vary enough I use the smallest neck bushing I can during a sizing session with brass that can be six or seven seasons' old, then follow that with running them onto a sizing mandrel.

And no, I don't load 'into the lands' either, too stressful when a CEASE FIRE gets called & I get powder granules dumped into my action's lugs.

12. BigKev

BigKev

Arky,

Just so that I'm sure that I understand what you posted are you saying that prior to seating bullets you run an "expander mandrel" down into the case mouths ?? If you don't mind me asking do you anneal after every firing ?? and do you use the mandrel before or after you anneal ?? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Please feel free to PM me should you not care to discuss this on an open forum.