dasher/brdx/brbs

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by bkmilw, Jun 8, 2008.

1. bkmilw

bkmilw

Hey guys, Im new here but have been lookin the site over for a while and you guys seem to be a group of the most educated shooters i've come across. So I was wonderin if someone could tell me out of the dasher, brdx, and brbs wich holds the most volume and what the differances are? I read an article here on the three and what I thhink I got was that they are improved versions of the br. Is that rite and that basic? Im lookin to turn my remi. 700 vs 22-250 into a 6mm I just wanted to go with wichever one could offer the most speed out of the group. Thanks fellas.

Boyd L. likes this.
  2. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

BRBS has the most case capacity because it has a slightly shorter neck than Dasher. But... it has not been standardized.

BRX can use 6BR dies and a .243 or .308 die for body sizing.

Forster and Redding both make Dasher dies.

Accuracy? Really a draw between Dasher and BRX. Both have done very well.

There are some varients of the Dasher,less taper in the sidewall) that may give you a little more capacity,0.5 grains) than a BRX, but basically you'll see more speed variance based on throat length than on choosing one case rather than another.

I would go BRX if you want to save money on dies. Dasher if you like the 40-degree shoulder and a bit more stable brass.

I'd avoid the BRBS.

The BRDX has about 1.5 grains less capacity than the BRX or Dasher, but it keeps a longer neck. It's an interesting option if you want to shoot a variety of bullets.

DJSBRS, swd, MarkS and 1 other person like this.
  3. DukeDuke

DukeDuke

Great reply!!!

4. bkmilw

bkmilw

thanks for the clear up!!

5. expiper

expiper

I shot and fooled around the BR and its wildcat children since the 70's...and I agree with the moderator about the wildcats...and reccomend the Dasher out of all of em...mostly because of the availability of the dies ...Kiff makes the resize reamer for Redding and Forster...which means that they will fit like custom rite from the factory!!!...if u use a Kiff standard compatable reamer to do your chamber...I reccomned that you get your own reamer right now and avoid the hastle one chamber with one reamer and the next with another ...if you change your mind about the cal.you can usually get most of your $$$ back because of the popularity and immediate availability at resale time.
    With the Dasher,and BRX etc.) you are prolly wanting to shoot the bigger bullets,105-108)...be shure and get the FB long enuff to work properly with the shorter neck ...,aprox. .110-.120")....Roger

6. bkmilw

bkmilw

Thanks for the info guys! I guess my next question would be do you think its worth th e 40 deree shoulder to fire form and shoot out of the same barrel or should i just stick with the regular br as im not basicly doubling my round count down the barrel and go dasher when i have an x tra tube, one for fireforming the brass and one to shoot the formed rounds that way I wont be burning the barrel up as quick??

7. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Nothing wrong with a standard 6BR. The improveds give you another 100-130 fps, but you lose the great flexibility of the long neck. With a std 6BR you can shoot everything from the 65s to 108s and get them in the lands, with the appropriate Freebore.

8. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

Hey, just putting together a 6brdx. What would you suggest for starting loads for 7.5 twist, 105-110 bergers and sierras, not coated? Anything better for 300 yards off a bench? Thanks for any suggestions you can give.
    David Duff

DanSavage likes this.
  9. alphapygmy

alphapygmy

I have 2 BRDX barrels I switch on a Savage Target action. 26" X-caliber 8 twist likes 32.0 Varget and 105 VLDs jammed about .012". It also looks like 107 SMK jumped a little with 31.9 Varget will shoot very good. 29" Bartlein 8 twist likes 108 BT with 32.2 Varget. CCI 450 or BR4, whatever gives lower ES. As always, start low and work up.

dbduff likes this.
  10. DanSavage

DanSavage

Hey David, I have been fire forming for a new Kreiger 6 Dasher with a 7.5 twist I was looking at the new SMK 110's and will probably order up a bunch soon. I shot 107 smks all last year in the 6 br with no complaints and the shoot really good in the Dasher too.

OP if you consider a 6dasher
    I went with the new LE Wilson full length bushing die on sale at Midway for under 60$,, hard to beat it for the price. It works great for my chamber minimally sizing the case. And a Wilson plain Jane inline seater 50ish$. 100$ total for dies.

I've noticed this Dasher has a tighter neck, about .269 anyone know if that is standard for a 6 Dasher?

dbduff likes this.
  11. dbduff

Thanks so much, your info is mimicking others. Will start with sierras as that's what I have the most of. Will keep track of Es with br4's and cci 450's. Haven't done that previously. What are you using for an overall case length?
    D

12. dbduff

Can't help with dasher neck diameter, my Brdx is .270. Got a bunch of 110's to try. Thanks for info on Wilson dies at midway, currentlyusing widden. Only draw back is their small decaping pin is unique to their sizing die so others don't fit if you break it or lose it, which I did. Have been using a universal decaping die, but don't like not having an essential part, only to find out how essential and unavailable it may be. Thanks for quick,response!
    D
    Ps. Like the 107's in 6xc

DanSavage likes this.
  13. alphapygmy

alphapygmy

My case length is 1.550" and rim to ogive is 1.850" using 105 VLD-T about .012" past touch.

14. dbduff

Got it, thank you!
    D

15. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the fire forming thing. Use the "right method" and it could be as accurate as anything you have ever shot. My Dasher "FF" tube (NEW KREIGER) is the most accurate gun I have ever fired. I used it to FF 500 "extra" dasher brass....simply because it shot so well!!!

Now...the whole "right method" has stirred more debate than any Ford/Chevy, Rep/Dem, Dasher/BRX, Army/Navy, F15/F14, Vikings/Packers, ....etc .....debate ever has...COMBINED.

But, that is for (YET) another thread.

Tod

DanSavage likes this.
  16. DanSavage

DanSavage

My friend won a 500 yard match fire forming 6 Dasher rounds. LOL Maybe 14 shooters,,

Chevy and don't look back,, more Chevy's at the super shoot by far..

17. dbduff

Will let you all know on how the hydro formed to fire forming works. So far have learned that a tight neck bushing in a .270 chamber is critical as DJ's brass is .010 shorter than chamber length, used .266 bushing but still had misfires seated .012 into lands ala Mr Big's reccomendations, using 105 Berger vld's. Used cci 450 primers, but I think they are too hard and pushed case forward leading to misfire. Am planning on trying fed srp for next go around and annealing before fire forming as well as going to a .265 neck bushing, staying probably .005 or so into rifling. Will let you know how this works, so far case length is around 1.540 plus or minus.
    D

18. DanSavage

DanSavage

I had issues fire forming .220 to 6 ppc using cci br4's. I switched to federal 205 and they went bang every time.

19. dbduff

Good to hear. That "click" followed by opening the bolt with bullet still in lands and ensuing powder issues is a show stopper.

DanSavage likes this.
  20. dbduff

Fire formed today with everything the same except used federal srp instead of cci 450. All went bang. Quite releaved.
    D

DanSavage likes this.