Damaged Kimber 82

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Gary Schiefelbein, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

My friend received this the other day.Gun was in excellent condition except where a beaver nawed on it.Actually broken by usps.What do you guys think is reasonable compensation?He does like the gun. 3016_1540749969023-460x818.jpeg

2. ricco1949

ricco1949 Gold $$ Contributor

It depends:
    1. If the broken toe piece was not lost then the cost of repairs..... looks like a clean break and an relatively easy repair.
    2. If the toe piece is gone then the cost of a replacement stock..... it can still be repaired by milling the break smooth and gluing on a new piece of walnut and shaping but the odds of it not showing are slim.....and blending final finish more delicate. Depends on your tastes.... is it a tool or a wall hanger.
    Hope it was insured..... if so price of the replacement stock.....don't have a clue how the $ claim for damage is arrived at however.

I'd still repair it even if you can get full $ replacement cost for the stock.

Rick.

3. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

This being a kimber 82, this rifle has collector value, If it were me, I wouldn't fool around with the repair, your rifle will never be worth what it was, I would only settled for a factory replacement stock if you can find one, in my opinion compensation value around $500.+

swd and IdahoSharpshooter like this.
  4. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

What Mark said^^^
    Oregon built 82's had a Sherwin Williams sprayed on clear coat that is hard to match in if he wants it look perfect after the repair. There are used stocks out there. Prices are all over depending on the grade of wood and condition. And there are a few variants of tangs. Not all will fit perfectly. There is a lot of information on them over at rimfire central. Be prepared to do a lot of reading if you really want to know Oregon built Kimber 82's.

Mark McMahon likes this.
  5. FJIM

FJIM

If he still has the broken piece I would get ahold of guys on rimfire central and get in touch with the stock doctor.
    he actually worked for Kimber and can fix it up good as new. He knows what he is doing.
    I can see from you pic its a 82A cascade.
    I have a Kimber KoO 82B that had a broken stock that had been repaired, I bought it that way. I rubbed some finish on it and epoxy bedded it and floated the barrel, It shoots unreal accurate.

But yes the Sherwin Williams concoction is HARD and gives that beautiful sanded in look satin finish that is almost un=reproduceable but the stock doctor I believe is the guy who mixed that finish. But yea it a cool very hard finish and hard to reproduce the color it gave the wood as the color is in the finish.

http://www.thestockdr.com/about.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  6. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

It sounds as thou the seller is going to pay for a new stock.They have found two for sale.

7. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

For something that got broken in shipment (assuming it was properly packed) is a very generous offer.

Mark W likes this.
  8. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

I believe packing was on the light side.Just a box inside a box with paper.When my friend bought it it was fine.He deserves to be made whole.A repaired stock will always be just that.A repaired stock.The value is gone.I would never buy repaired or one that has been turned into swiss cheese.

9. sagerat22

sagerat22

That is a fairly common Kimber stock injury and the Stock Doctor can likely repair it for less than the cost of another stock. I've seen several that he's fixed and unless I told you they were broken, you'd never know.