Daily bulletin: Secrets of the Houston Warehouse

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ARW, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

No idea. Never met him. I think he shot his matches alone so i never ran into him

2. alintx

alintx

I personally know someone who shot there, and will ask him what really happened there. He's a life long br shooter, and had won lots of matches. His name was mentioned in the article. Be interesting to get his take on it !

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Let me know what he says.

4. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

Conspiracy it is, who got the cool aid

5. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

NOTE: this was back in the day when NORMA was the only company making 6PPC brass. The quality was great, and consistent. That said, the alloy was not as strong as LAPUA.
    Shooters would turn the casenecks, trim, fireform and shoot the warmup match. They then shot five 5-shot groups, often holding the primer in with a thumb to seat it, fire, and then throw them in the trash bin the last match. Fred Sinclair built me an LV/Sporter and graciously tossed in 500 new cases. I went to the Super Shoot the next year, and made friends by doling out 50 cases to shooters I liked. The Boyers, Alan Hall and his son Larry, and Russ Hayden.
    Fred fitted an extra bolt to mine, a 308 face. Several others were using 220 Swift LAPUA brass to form PPC. They lasted forever. About the same time Dave Tooley and Seeley Masker came up with the idea for the 6mm SMW. Seeley Masker Wasp. Federal was talked into making a run or 50,000 cases, using the 30-30 basic brass built to match specs, and utilizing a small primer pocket. It was called the 30 American, then they ran another 100,000 cases. It worked well enough, that they forced NORMA to use a stronger alloy. Shortly thereafter, LAPUA entered the fray.

Rushty likes this.
  6. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Visited with Frank Wilson at the Seymour Match about 3 weeks ago. He was very involved in the Warehouse shooting as well as John Jones. John is still active at the Tomball range and Frank at 93 years old is in Burnet,Tx. Frank walks his dog a mile and a half daily, plays golf daily, and said he is going to the gym now.
    They will have the knowledge that you are looking for.

thekriebles and Dusty Stevens like this.
  7. alinwa

alinwa

The way I heard it "arc" was a racing term from the 40's-50's era. it had to do with getting the ignition timing and dwell set for a perfect run. I have no idea if it's true but my source was credible.

And long since gone to The Big Racetrack In The Sky.

8. kountryboy2

kountryboy2 Gold $$ Contributor

I would have loved to have spent a couple of days around the late,T J Jackson. Wasn't he involved with the Blackbird project?

9. ireload2

ireload2

I was told T J Jackson was a retired U2 pilot.
    I met him once and bought a M700 bolt that came in his .220 Swift 40X rifle. I also have a pair of 6X47 Rem. 40X BR rifles that came with the 20 inch barrels. TJ fitted and chambered a Hart tight neck 6X47 Rem heavy varmint barrel for each of them for the original owner.
    There is a pdf file on line listing all U2 pilots.
    Col. T. J. Jackson , Jr. Is listed as pilot #125. His solo date was in 1959.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

TJ was a retired U2 pilot. My youngest son was a U2 crewchief for over 20 years before retiring. I was able to purchase a couple barrels and his neck turning tool from his estate.

thekriebles and kountryboy2 like this.