Daily bulletin: Secrets of the Houston Warehouse

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ARW, Mar 19, 2016.

1. ARW

ARW

I just finished reading this in the daily bulletin and was really impressed and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was a pretty long read but was packed with lots of very good information about rifle accuracy potentials.

Click on: CLICK HERE to READ Secrets of the Houston Warehouse.

Alan

simo hayha likes this.
  2. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

I agree Alan! You think we're anal about our reloading? I know this was done some time back and equipment has been refined considerably since then,but, this is amazing!!

simo hayha and ARW like this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I had the pleasure of knowing a few of those cats over the years. No matter what they did they couldnt shoot a zero group

simo hayha and BoydAllen like this.
  4. Phil

Phil

I`ve read this before, thanks for posting it, i was wondering how i`d ever find it again....

Phil.

simo hayha likes this.
  5. mr.big

mr.big

awesome read,,

6. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

I notice they did not comment on annealing. I am sure that they did that in the back room between firings.

7. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

When I read this many years ago and read the part about 21 3/4 barrel length it stood out like...... Now there is not much in common between a bench rest rifle that will shoot in the 0s and an M14 but for some reason I measured my M14 barrel length. It measured 21 3/4, not 21 and not 22 but 21 3/4. I have thought about this a lot and thought about folks like Larry Moore and wondered where the M14 barrel length came from.

8. ARW

ARW

Virgil talks about annealing the necks on the new Sako .220 Russian cases with a small propane torch but I did not see where he does it after shooting them. I would like to know what the "arc" is he mentions at the end of the article.

Alan

9. Dusty Stevens

The arc of the covenant (holy grail)

PatMiles likes this.
  10. JDMock

JDMock

I talked to Don Geraci (HOF) who spent two nights in the warehouse. When he could not get his rifle to shoot a single "zero" Virgil recommended that he come back when it was "fixed". He came back and shot all night again, but still no "zeroes". Not only did he not shoot a zero, but he said that he did not see a single zero shot by anyone. Here is a 4-time winner of the Super Shoot and a member of the HOF who could not verify the amazing groups shot by Virgil or anyone else in the warehouse. Also, I know the man who owns the famous Cooper rifle and he told me that it had had two or three new bolts made because it kept breaking. Good shooting...James

D Coots likes this.
  11. LHSmith

LHSmith

Good read if like fairytales. This is the kind of stuff that plays on the minds of new shooters.......proof that the internet does not have a monopoly on disinformation.

tmwinds likes this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

I always know somebody has stumbled upon it when they want a 21.75" barrel. It had a lot of gremlins you couldnt see. Folks were shooting better groups at matches than they were in there and nobody ever seen targets

13. LHSmith

LHSmith

The use of a fan to dissipate barrel mirage apparently was born out of this read also.:) I started to re-read and could not bring myself to get beyond the mention of using Portland cement to make the front bag "hard as iron". .....Yep, that's the ticket!o_O

14. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

Being a Fence contractor the Portland cement stuck out in my mind also.

15. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

I think that it is only natural to want to find some pixie dust that can be sprinkled on ones setup to make it perform magic, but I have heard from more than one source, that spent time in the warehouse, that they did not see any of the groups that were reported as common in the article.

If you want someone's equipment to study for ideas, I would suggest that you might want to look at the hundred yard results from this years Cactus Classic that are available on Benchrest Central. One class had eight sub .2 aggregates, and the other had five or six. This is one of the larger matches in the country and looking at the rest of the results, while the conditions may have been good, evidently they were not perfect.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Mulligan likes this.
  16. bugman

bugman Gold $$ Contributor

I believe the "arc" is the sine wave carbon outline on the case necks. I have never met any of these gentlemen, so this is just my guess.

Jack

17. LHSmith

LHSmith

He was shooting "fitted" necks, w/o any sizing......with necks that were first were inside bored, then lathe turned on the OD that yielded 0.0007" TOTAL clearance between neck and chamber -then sanded them smooth "to remove the tool marks on the necks" an additional 0.00005":rolleyes:. To get the sine wave signature you need more clearance than that. My thinking is he was referring to the formation made when pigs fly.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    swd and Canadian bushman like this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

All he ever talked about was finding the holy grail of accuracy- the arc of the covenant

19. ireload2

ireload2

I always thought he was claiming he shot a group that was the size of one of those famous red hairs.

20. LHSmith

LHSmith

This feller Virgil, I'm a guessing he never ventured far from the shine ?

Canadian bushman likes this.