CZ 455 Trainer for smallbore?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by WingsFan, Oct 4, 2018.

1. WingsFan

WingsFan

With winter coming and it getting dark earlier my local 50ft smallbore group is shutting down for five months and I'm needing a rifle to get me though the winter. The club has loaners of 1960s CMP Anschutz match 64s that I have been using for the last little while.

Is the 455 trainer suitable for smallbore, and is it worth it to upgrade it? I can get the rifle local for $340.

I was looking at the 455 trainer with a boyds pro varmint/tacticool stock and inlet the bottom for an Anschutz style rail. The next challenge is what to do for sights. I know I can put most any rear sight on it with a riser, but what to do about the front globe? I've read about some DIY solutions, but I'm not a machinist and I don't have a trustworthy gunsmith in the area. I've read several forums for most of the week and solutions seem to be slim for the 455 front sight.

Any insight from the community? Thanks

One other newbie question. What's the practical difference in the 18 vs 22mm globes?

2. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

Sounds to me like you need a set of Brno sights.Thing is if you find the sights you still need the adapters.Thats the hard part.If you haven't poked around on Rimfire Central you should.Plenty of good information there.Or look at a Kimber 82 g.Not real expensive.

3. WingsFan

WingsFan

I'm on rimfire central too.
    The problem is the guy who was selling all the Brno sights and adapters closed shop. You can get the sights, but without the adapters to install them what's the point.

I've also been looking at used Kimber 82s, and some others. Nothing reasonable at the moment.

4. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

There is a guy on there who is going to start making the adapters again.I think he goes by machineguy.Search hard enough you'll find the post.Seemed to be alot of interest.

5. WingsFan

WingsFan

I found the thread. No updates in a while, and I'm not sure if he's doing 452 or 455 adapters as the front sight adapter is different and he's copying parts another member sent.

6. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

There was a guy selling several 82Gs in the classifieds here a few months black. I picked up one from him. Not sure if he sold them all or not. Can’t remember who it was but it might be worth doing some searches.

Edit: I found his ad and it looks like they all sold.

7. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

I just bought a new savage mark ii BTV off gunbroker for 329. Has a laminated stock that needs bedded but in all it is a nice little rifle for cheap. Going to go shoot it today. Down side for you is it is set up for scope no iron sights installed.

8. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

I am having a fully adjustable stock made by PDC Custom to drop in a CZ455 barreled action and doing some minor modifications like a Norm Houle bloop tube to use as a sling rifle trainer to go with my Warner rear and Rightsight front sights. Should work out well. The CZ is turning out some awesome groups with Lapua ammo.