cz 455 precesion trainer

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Regnar, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Regnar

Regnar Silver $$ Contributor

I am ordering one on Friday. anything about one I should be aware of or anything I need to order ahead of time?

I am going to use it for local 22 sniper matches and perhaps a rimfire prs match or two

2. Hoop

Hoop

I wound up getting a 455 with a fluted heavy barrel and putting it in a Boyd's with pillars, not as super cool but cheaper. At 50 they touch and at 100, 200 I am good but could be better. I wanted to shoot a few competitions then sell the CZ get the Anshutz trainer or a Vudoo down the line. I don't think that CZ added the pillars from Manners with would have been a good idea, maybe see if they can put them in after the fact. Also that Yo dave trigger kit is a good start for the $.

Other things to consider, you can replace all the plastic stuff (mag well etc) with aluminum from DIP which is nice. Also the extended mag release from them is really nice to have. I think CZ should have done this for the extra $$ on the trainers.

Oh and I got better groups with a stiffer bolt spring. don't know why it just happen that way.

Regnar likes this.
  3. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

Nice post.. if you only had waited two more minutes.. you would have had posted at 4:55 my time!

Regnar likes this.
  4. Regnar

Rifle ordered,

Dip 25 moa rail
    Extend mag release
    2 mags

Is their any functional improvements by switching stuff over to metal?

No rings yet, still havent picked a scope. was thinking vortex diamondback HP 4x16 or the or the diamondbaxk tacticle 3x12??

5. Hoop

Hoop

In truth I don't think there is any functional difference with the metal parts. I just like them and I like to mess with stuff I guess. The pillars in the stock let me tighten the action screws (also upgraded screws forgot that in the first post) 28inch lbs seems to be the sweet spot for me so the extra torque as been good for me.

As for optics I had a Vortex Viper 6.5-20-44 on mine I started out with a BDC reticle (that was all wrong for the PRS games) so I swapped it with Vortex for a Mil-Dot of the same model, now that is coming off to be sold and will be replaced soon. The mil-dot works great but I became enamored with a different reticle, so it goes. I know I should stop chasing with the optic and shoot more but I have it in my head that I need an upgrade.

Regnar likes this.
  6. Regnar

Are you saying that the rifle is not piller bedded?

I saw the screw upgrade but didnt see it listed for the 455.

Which reticle are you looking at now? what didnt you like about the bdc? To small of subtensions?

7. Hoop

Hoop

The Boyds is not pillar bedded. I bought a Boyds that had the pillars already put in by a guy who knows way way more about this stuff than I do. So I bought the stock he modified and sold the Boyds that came with the rifle. I did not like that stock (thumbhole varmit) anyway pillars or no.

I just looked around the web and the the review I found says that the trainer has an aluminum pillar on the front action screw, no mention of the rear. So good news for you I think!

The 'upgrade' screws I am using came with that stock and I am not sure where he got them from. I do know that J&P (they also have a CZ bolt tool that makes life easier) has a set that is what I was going to get but this stock came with a set that worked so I use them.

As for reticle the BDC sub tensions are not all in the same spacing so it may work for one brand but not another. With 22lr it may not even work for the same lot number. The MIL-Dot or other evenly spaced (MIL or MOA as long as they are even) hash marks the dots are all the same distance so figuring DOPE it made life much much easier to take to matches.

Now why I am switching? I looked through the, pun intended, looking glass of a Nightforce, then a Khales with the "christmas tree" reticle and immediately went home and starting selling off stuff to cover a new scope. But this has been a big jump the Viper I have is like a $300-400 scope and I have become enamored with much much more expensive glass. I kept the Vortex until the last minute in order to have a scope on the gun. So I have to sell it before the next match if I want to get the new glass. I don't have a whole lot of discretionary funds, I cannot get to the Khales (I don't have enough stuff to sell off to get there) but I like the look of an Athlon and there is the Gen 2 Viper PST as well. Vortex service has been good to me with the swap when I found I wanted to loose the BDC.

So don't make my initial mistake; make sure that what ever you go with the hash or dots or whatever are evenly spaced (which measurement is your call) the BDC just did not work.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Regnar

Thanks. i think im going with the tactical. i have two golden eagles and wish another scope had that reticle but it do. i have a NF 8x32 br in the safe but not what I want. I want something I can shoot out to 300 on steel with.

9. Hoop

Hoop

I think that is a good choice.

10. Regnar

Great service. ordered a bunch of DIP products two days ago and showed today.

Ill get the 25 moa rail and extended mag release this weekend at camp.

11. Regnar

@Hoop

Is the recoil pad glued on? i want to ad weight and I dont see any screw slots in it.

12. Hoop

Hoop

On the trainer? I don't know it is screwed in on the Boyd's

13. Regnar

Trigger job is done, firing pin spring changed, 25 moa base installed and extended mag release in. Glass should be here Tuesday.

14. Billinoregon

Billinoregon Silver $$ Contributor

Eager to hear your range reports, Regnar. This precision .22 stuff is really intriguing.

Regnar likes this.
  15. Regnar

20180330_135040-1612x1209.jpg Put the Viper HST on today. brought it to the range and re shot some of the ammo i shot before. i also torqued the action screws to 40 in #. much better results. tommorow i am going to shot the cci SV on steel to 300.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    holstil likes this.
  16. Hoop

Hoop

That looks good. 50 or 100 ? If it is 100 it is really good like don't change a thing good. Also try the red box SK (I have 2 CZs both like it), Center X is also good for me and R100 is awesome but I cannot afford it all the time and it is about 1.5 mil higher in my rifle. But I shoot Red SK for practice and matches lately.

Nice work, I like what you have done here.

17. Regnar

Thanks its 50. i shot it today and managed some hits at 400!!!! full size steel but still!!

18. Regnar

Did an ammo test today. 50 yards, 40 degs, wind r to l 7-10mph. Shot off a bipod and squeeze bag. I shot the wolf twice because I felt it the 1st group was me. The second pic is a torque test. I used wolf and You can see the improvement in group size. The group test was about 25in#'s

The weather was shitty so first chance I get I will repeat group test and torque test. I will try wolf and cci on the torque as well. 20180408_211848-1020x1360.jpg Image-1020x1403.jpg