CZ 452 VS CZ 455

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Mark McMahon, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

I know the barrel is threatened on the 452, but is there any real difference between the two, is the threaded barrel really a big deal, or are we just splitting hairs, your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated thanks for your time

2. SSL

SSL

In theory, the threaded barrel would give better support providing a more rigid receiver/barrel unit.

3. SSL

SSL

Forgot to mention that the 452 uses only one screw to attach the receiver to the stock while the 455 uses two, just like a centerfire. This should give a much more stable foundation for accuracy.

4. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

A lot of those ABRA 10/22's are only one screw too.. shooting just fantastic.. not saying that two ain't better.. but one will work if set up right

5. JRR

JRR

The 452 American has two receiver screws. The other 452s (except scout) have the barrel lug with screw that can be bedded into stock.

6. SSL

SSL

Good to know. The only two 452s I have seen only had one screw. Don't remember what designation they had.

7. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

The Silhouette, the Style, and the Trainer/Special, and the Super Brno 2500 all use(d) a variation of a dovetailed barrel lug. A variation of a dovetailed barrel lug. These can be bedded or floated....I've had both.
    CZ has become famous (infamous?) for having many variants, I've probably left some out.

8. jbell

jbell

Like said above the 452 American has 2 screws in the action. But IMO the big difference is the 455 had a bit more heavier built action and the tang is made in a way that form a great recoil lug if you decide to bed the action. Don't forget the amount of aftermarket support for the 455 vs the 452.

9. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I went with 455 for the it's versatility.

USMCDOC likes this.
  10. SSL

SSL

Congratulations. Enjoy!

11. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

I have two non- American model 452's. Careful with the front barrel lug. Too tight and the barrel will get out of whack just a tad.

1. 452's are getting scarcer and scarcer.
    2. I would suggest a 455 for barrel changing ability and also it is a hell of a lot easier to install a new barrel if you decide to do so.

12. rockable

rockable Silver $$ Contributor

If you get one of the 455 like I got, no barrel interchange will make it shoot. Some are just not headspaced right and mine was one of them. My 452 shot great right out of the box and is what inspired me to buy the 455. I have enough in my 455, that I should have just bought an Anschutz. It shoots great now but I will never recoup the $$$ invested in it.

13. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

One of my 452's shoots great and the other is a dog.

You are right about spending money, though.

Purchase, ammo shot for torque adjustments, bedding, and perhaps a new barrel and you are almost at the price point of a low end new Anschutz and on par with a used one. I went through the cycle of going from a Henry to a Marlin 60 to the CZ's and finally I said F.... it and my wife bought me a NIB 1913a which has a 54 action for a birthday four years ago. She enjoys it, as well. She also likes to shoot my AK. Tough woman.

USMCDOC likes this.
  14. USMCDOC

My 81 year old mother is trying to hook me up so to speak with a lady that she met at the farmers market.. Mom goes.. "and she shoots too, but don't own a firearm right now!". I responded, "Oh ok.. cool.. if she wants to date me.. then have the rifle.. but she is going to have to get her own ammo! :)"
    You're a lucky man.. Like the fella that is from TN that his wife loads all of his ammo for him and he goes and shoots, she don't ever come to the range that i know of.. but he don't make the ammo.. she does

15. mrh1958

mrh1958

The 452's with one action screw shoot just fine, especially if you bed them correctly, I have a 452 Trainer right now that shoots well above it's price point.

I have owned a couple of the 455's they seemed ok to me, I bedded an American 455 and it did well, I think a lot of the time these sporter rifles get blamed for not being accurate but sporters are difficult to shoot from a bench. it takes above average skill to do well with them and even at that sometimes they will still kick your butt

16. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Doc- Ok to have one's wife load for the husband unless she is VERY passive aggressive.

MRH- I am a stubborn SOB. On my dog 452 Varmint, I added another action screw at the rear that goes through the tang and the rear of the stock. I finally bedded it to the front of the stock and shot it yesterday. At 50 yards, groups went down to 3xMOA with a scope. I will now try it with Midas + instead of Federal Automatch. If it gets better, great. If not, an excellent learning experience. It is still better than the 5-6xMOA I was getting.

17. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

If you're getting 3moa groups (50 yards?) and bedded the receiver and floated the barrel? Now you're bedding the entire fore end? I'd bet you've got a barrel problem. Assuming you've got the barrel genuinely clean and you don't have a scope/mount issue, it sounds like one that can only be fixed if you replace the barrel.

18. CTK

CTK Gold $$ Contributor

I own a 452 22lr and a 452 17hmr and have owned a 455 22lr. My 455 was never as accurate as the 452. The fit and finish did not seem as good in the 455 as it was in the 452's. Sample of 1 so take it for what it is worth. My guns are all sporters. The most accurate 22 that I own is an Oregon Kimber. It is overall more accurate than my 2 Anschutz 54 based sporters. The Anschutz rifles are beefier and arguably have better triggers and actions. Every 22lr that I own or have owned has shot best with a different ammo. Know this is not new info. Just saying that they are all picky in their own way. I may have been able to find the magic load for the 455. I just gave up.

19. CTK

CTK Gold $$ Contributor

20. USMCDOC

You have reminded me that i wish that i had never gotten rid of my Kimber SVT.. that was a huge dumb thing to do.. that thing was a laser