Custom sporter build

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by FJIM, Oct 24, 2012.

1. FJIM

FJIM

I have been dreaming up a custom sporter build.. with a med heavy sporter barrel, I like the #5 pac nor sporter countor, most other's are very close. but hard to find a sporter 6mm, 8 twist barrel in stock.. some lead times on having one made can be allmost a year..so i'm going custom action. pined recoil lug so i can switch barrels. my first barrel will be in 6 dasher. it also seems that the cost could be more than a quality target rifle. do to more expensive trigger w/safety, bottom metal as it will be a repeter, short action with the long mag. allthough i really dont care if it functions. but if i decide for a 6 or 6.5/284 barrel latter on i have a nice platform for it. so ordering a barrel. and maybe selling a rifle or two, to help me pay for it. I'm also right in the middle of a 6 dasher light gun for 600/1000 yrd. and it needs a scope. will this ever end. or is this just a sickness.

2. Millsaps75

Millsaps75

Nope never ends. I think I've got about 5 rifle in various states of completion right now but I love it :)

3. fredhorace77

fredhorace77

I'm really fond of the predator actions for such builds. another thing I'd personally do is to flute the barrel. shave a little weight off.. not much but every little bit helps on a sporter

4. M700

M700

A good sporter rifle can be a wonderful thing, capable of handling most of the hunting thrown at it.

Plan well. I see a tendency on the part of precision shooters to specify too heavy a barrel, then they're never really as happy with the rifle afield as they could have been. Keep the weight reasonable, use high quality components.

Don't know for sure, but I imagine you'll be hunting deer with it. Short action? Why not stick with something simple and easy like a .308, 7mm-08 or a .260? Any of those will work very well on deer sized game.

Hope you'll keep us updated on the project! An accurate and svelte sporter rifle gets me more interested than yet another (yawn) 12-15 pound target rifle...

Regards, Guy

5. Coleridge

Coleridge Silver $$ Contributor

To me sporters are much more "useful" than another bench gun. Also, I would 2nd the person that said to be careful with weight. Seems the lighter "handier" the rifle is, the more it gets "picked" for a quick hunt or stand.

Rem 700 rebarrel in 6BR, #3 Brux @ 20", HS precision, Shelin Trigger with Lupy 3.5-10x40CDS. This rifle is VERY handy & shoots better than it should for an 8# rifle. I built this rifle on a "budget" & didn't true the action & it still shoots under .5 inch groups with an occasional group in the .2's. Way less than $1K in the rifle itself.
    [​IMG]

The 2nd was built as a serious hunting rifle. Stiller Predator, #3 Broughton 5C @ 23" chambered in 6.5x47L, McMillan Classic stock, Jewel trigger with S&B Klassic (recently changed to a VX-7 Lupy). It weighs just above 8# & shoots like you expect it to (or better).
    [​IMG]

I also have another BRX with A3 & Rem Sendero contour but it's above 10# so doesn't count as a sporter. If you run a #5 barrel with much length you'll be above 10# really quick! Especially with a large scope. Don't be afraid of a #3 or similar. It will surprise you how good they shoot.

I'd like to try a 223AI with an edge stock & #1 or 2 barrel; that wouldn't suck.

6. FJIM

FJIM

well my preference is for full sized sporters. I have a kimber 8400 one of the first one's made on the long mag length action in .270 win. 24" barrel. it's a tac driver.. one of the best shooting rilfe's i ever had..I had one in a 300WSM same rifle but in french walnut. it was also a tack drive. but sold it due to it just kicked too hard to be enjoyable to shoot. so i bought another kimber in a 84m special edition .257 rob. beautifull rilfe but it did not shoot well enough to satisfy me, so sold it..but it was a stunning rifle..I have looked at many avavialible rifle and can find nothing i want.. also want a 6 dasher in a sporter.. so i will go Borden alpine action. mcmillian stock.
    but yea not quite sure on barrel countor. was thinking #5 but if you guys would sugguest a #4 over it i may go #4 countor..but I'm not wanting a light weight rifle. if it ends up scoped at 9lbs that would be ok with me. it would mostly be used for long range varmint hunting and close range deer hunting and maybe a ground hog shoot for fun. actually i was thinking with a #5 countor I would be @ 8.5lbs scoped.

sorry i was thinking #4 countor at 3.5lbs
    action 1.7 lbs
    stock 2lbs
    scope 1lbs
    not sure trigger,scope rings. mag&bottom metal est 1lbs.
    =8.2-8.5lbs

7. Phil

Phil

I have been told by quite a few that any brand barrel with similar contour dimensions to a #4 Krieger is an excellent balance between weight and stiffness....

Waiting for my #4 Krieger 6mm 5R 8 twist tube to be delivered.....

8. Phil

Phil

Coleridge,

How well does your 6mmBR feed as a repeater???

Sorry for the post derailment...

9. FJIM

FJIM

Phil how long you been waiting on that krieger? I think i'm going to go pac nor, I have had and do have a few good shooting pac's and useually only around two three month's to get one. i'm not going to wait 8 month's to a year for one. but i will call around and see but right now krieger and bartlein are like close to a year wait. I just got a bartlein HV 8 twist in today for my dasher.

10. Phil

Phil

Just a month...

Funny you mentioned Dasher and Bartlein.....I just snapped up one that Savage guy (Chris) had listed,so no wait time... ;D

I`m a pretty loyal Krieger guy,BUT i have heard nothing but good things about the 3 B`s so i`m going to give my first one a try.....

Phil.

11. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

If you go too light will be harder to hold the steady off hand or when shooting extreme long range. I have a custom 358 norma with a #5 contour lilja barrel and it's perfect for me. So you might be right on track with a #5. Perhaps maybe the #4 because of a small bore, but I wouldn't go lighter than that. About 7-8 lbs before optics is where I like to end up on a custom sporter hunting rifle

12. Coleridge

Coleridge Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Wyatts "BR Box" in the grey rifle pictured. It has been a royal pain in the ass. However, after a LOT of trial & error tinkering it feeds good but only holds 2 down.

I have another BR repeater using the "Mike Bryant conversion" with Rem bottom metal & it feed GREAT ofter finding the correct placement of spring (the main presseure needs to be correct for 100% reliable feeding). It feed 4 out of the belly like hungry hippo's. The only week link then is the Rem extractor (it bloops the short case out & sometimes doesn't clear the breach).

I'd have no quams about doing another BR repeater. The BR can be made to feed with a little effort. I think Alf on here (surprised he hasn't chimed in he's got a bunch of VERY cool sporters) runs some dashers with no modifications. Search my post here & 24hrcampfire. I've posted more detailed description of the Wyatts box if interested.

13. FJIM

FJIM

Coleridge i ordered a pac-nor #3 sporter 26" finish length..what do you think of pac's #3 contour ?
    I have had a few good shooting pac nor's..I went with the SSM 1-8 twist(4 groove).
    I tryed broughton but to get that contour it was like a $375.00 blank. (i'm not pay n that much). Kreiger,Bartlein is too long a wait..so the pac nor SSM is quite a good barrel . so i ordered one.