Custom actions as alternative to trued remmy

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Shawnba67, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I am curious what's out there as far as a close economical alternative to truing up a remmy.
    So here's the criteria 700 footprint/ trigger etc
    Cost Sub $1000 street price
    I'm not really asking about whose the best action just what's out there in the economical line up. I've seen the Tooley Action for around $850 as an example of the kind of options I'm looking for. Thank you much

2. NickB1075

NickB1075 Gold $$ Contributor

I think you can get a Pierce or a Stiller for under a grand. Both are very nice action. For a few more dollars you can get into a Borden or Kelbly. Again all are top notch and in my opinion better then the trued 700 route.

Nick

BrandonK likes this.
  3. Gman

Gman Gold $$ Contributor

I believe the Kelbly Atlas is what you desire, but I'm not sure of the price.

4. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

Just remember that most action truing ignores Remmy bolt & shroud slop.

butchlambert likes this.
  5. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Under a grand you only have 2 options if you want to improve on the Remington, Pierce or Kelbly. These will be base line actions with no options. Depending on your needs, a trued 700 or even an untrued 700 has the potential to shoot very well.

boltman223, Bully and 284winner like this.
  6. gat

gat Silver $$ Contributor

Stiller is really good and usually in stock. Love Pierce too!

7. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

PT&G has their blueprinted Rem 700 and bolts for way under 1000.00. I think around 600-650. That also comes with a threaded bolt handle and knob. For about 1000-1100, I think he throws in the bottom metal,mags, pillars, recoil lug and picatinny rail. Actually a decent value for a complete action system. Fred Szablewski (well known gunsmith from PA) Trues and laps the Rem 700 action for 90-110.00. He can't say enough good about the 700 action after its trued up and straightened. He asks why buy custom. I just tell him because I like different stuff because he will argue the point of accuracy between custom and factory blueprinted/ trued. There are some options vs buying custom. My trued actions out shoot me so it's a non issue for me.

boltfluter likes this.
  8. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

9. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

I ordered one of the R700s from PTG in Feb on sale for about 400. Supposed to have PTG bolt and be trued although Im thinking more like partially trued if thats possible. Havent received it yet but IF i do we will see how good they are.

284winner likes this.
  10. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

I ordered a CAbin Fever Sports action earlier this week. I called and They said they were in stock, hopefully it doesn't take months to ship.

11. hoz53

Thats what I ordered end of Feb. At the tlme PTG said the sale was limited to stock on hand so I figured since it was in stock Id get it pretty fast.
    Not So--My action was immediately put on back order and I havent received it yet. Sent PM to Don on here and he checked for me and said they are currently filling orders for them placed 2nd week of Feb. So I hope to get mine in a couple weeks. I hope you get your action quick but dont be surprised if it takes 2 or 3 months.

To OP--it may seem like these last posts are hijacking your thread but I dont think so. This is all info about an action you may want to consider .

284winner likes this.
  12. 284winner

Not really sure how complete the action will be trued. Seems like it's all or nothing on an action. Maybe lapping of the lugs etc may still need to be done but I'd think blue printed would include trueing and lapping etc. Either way taking a factory remmy and having it trued and lapped is about 100-150. That's about 450.00-550.00 total depending on who you buy the new action from. There is a gentleman selling new Rem 700 actions here for i believe 300 or 350 new take offs.

13. hoz53

I agree with you on the idea trueing is all or nothing. They do have ptg bolts but I wonder for 400.00 how much truing they could actually do. The way I looked at it was Im getting at least a factory R700 with a ptg bolted fitted to it. Not a bad deal for 400 if thats all i get. Thanks

boltfluter and 300_whisper like this.
  14. Ringostar

Ringostar

It depends on the purpose of the rifle. Hunting- a stock 700 is fine. Basic Target- a stock or trued 700. Competition- a Pierce action. I have 3 target rifles. One of each mentioned. The Pierce is noticeably better than the trued 700. I'm not saying that one is more accurate, because that depends on the barrel, loads and conditions. I'm saying the operation of the bolt under match conditions, the Pierce is better.

284winner likes this.
  15. 284winner

My Pierce is a much smoother functioning action. I'm sure it's tolerances are much more consistent but as you said no more accurate that a Rem 700. Certainly not any more than a trued and blueprinted 700 action. Was a bucket list item as for many other shooters that have always wanted to own some custom actions but didnt necessarily need them. Can't say I have requirements that cause me to need any. Just the desire to have something different.

16. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Kelbly Atlas, Pierce or Stiller. Rems? All the tricks in the world and it's still a Remington.

17. ryanjay11

ryanjay11 Gold $$ Contributor

Spot on. If you need a reason to go the custom route, simply look in the classifieds. Guys trying to get custom money out of a pimped 700 never seem to sell their rifles.

With that said, I have a few untrued Remingtons that I've built hunting rifles on. They shoot great, but I'm not trying to convince myself that they are something they are not. If you think you need it to be significantly modified, then starting with a 700 just doesn't make financial sense.

18. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

I have a REM700 for my PRS match rifle. i know this is a different part of shooting but i will never forget what i was told by a fellow competitor when he saw one of the sponsored shooter's custom trigger and action, go to shit during a match. His response was:

"Custom action's have custom problems"

At the end of the day pick the right tool for the right job. it was always my impression the order of accuracy was.

1.Barrel
    2.Bullets
    3.Brass

Benchrest guys- Most likely need a action that will not disturb the bags when shooting for score.

Field guys- need a action that will power thru the mud and dirt.

But to each is own and every discipline needs certain aspects to be successful, it's all about getting off the couch and getting to range or to a match. Doing what we all love to do.

Bully, 300_whisper, chrisj and 2 others like this.
  19. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

To me the biggest thing for a custom is resale value and choice of bolt port configuration. I am left handed and that makes getting things harder. Matt

20. excaliber

excaliber

I'm debating the same thing right now. Custom Borden or Stiller action or true another Remington? I have a Semi Custom trued Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag with a Bartlein #3 5R barrel on it and it shoots lights out. I'm sure a custom action would have more resale value and sound cool but this gun is one super accurate hammer. It's the gun as I'm the weak link in the equation for sure.
    I had the donor action already so it was an easy choice. I just like Remington's as I've had them since I started hunting.

boltfluter and 300_whisper like this.