Custom action need info

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by nmkid, Jan 28, 2018.

1. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Well, probably like many folks I post on several shooting forums. Just last week I was on a forum, (which one??) and was reading an article on a new action that was being sold for around $600, (if I remember correctly) until the end of the month. Now I can't remember where I saw the post. Any help? It's not the Bighorn now on special.

2. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

TL Technologies Classic Hunter.

Sniper338 likes this.
  3. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

4. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

The new Gunwerks actions run $850, have some really nice features and lock up really tight.

5. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Once again...Thanks guys!

6. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

I've yet to see any photos of these. How's the machining, bolt cycling, timing etc..?

7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

If you do, send it to me and I will check it for straight and squareness.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    philip brousseau likes this.
  8. Prose

Prose

I ordered a M704 type Classic Hunter action from Jack Lyons. His words to me were, "I get them straight from heat treatment and slick them up so they operate nicely." There was no mention of truing, or machining in a hardened state.

I can have mine sent to you if you want to check it out though. It should be shipping in about three weeks. It's a SA Standard Bolt, Cerekote with the timney calvin elite timed to it and set at 2.5 lbs.

For me, it's all about the CRF at a reasonable price. Having the trigger timed is a good bonus. Bottom line, I figured it was probably better than a Remington and costs less then a full custom (a good market to be in!)

I think the whole of this site would love to see an assessment of yours about this action and where it sits compared to other production quality actions. Lemme know.

300_whisper and philip brousseau like this.
  9. nakneker

I hope this happens. They are on sale for 500.00 if you put a 50.00 deposit and then I believe they go for 550.00.

I think I’ll wait until I hear Alex’s impressions and then decide whether or not to order one. My hunch is they are a pretty good deal and just fine for a varminter or hunting action. The guys who have recieved them talk highly of them. That can be deceptive though, rarely does anyone drop $$$ and then admit disappointment, that’s hard on the ego.

10. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

A public assessment? I remember the last time I did something like that with scopes..... Unlikely to happen again. I get enough "love" as it is LOL

11. nakneker

I remember that too, I don’t blame you one bit. No good deed goes unpunished.

BartsBullets and Sniper338 like this.
  12. Sniper338

Sniper338

Why dont you call Alex.... No reason to stir the pot again on here.

nakneker likes this.
  13. nakneker

Absolutely

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Keep on fighting the good fight alex. Dont let the keyboard champs keep you down

15. Fred Bohl

Fred Bohl Gold $$ Contributor

Despite the keyboard experts (just spent the $$ for it so it must be great) or the "convinced" that don't want to be confused by facts or even "alternate facts" we still need your public assessment.

The only reason for this or similar sites to exist is for the free exchange of our cumulative knowledge and opinions. If the moderators can't maintain control or if we are overrun by a few that are bent on negativity without useful contribution then this and similar forums will fade away.

16. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

Its a shame Alex is unlikely to do any public assessments again. I thoroughly enjoyed reading over his scope comparisons. If you did your research and haven't an axe to grind who cares about opinions. Facts always outweigh opinions. I disliked Alex's findings but that's just life and that's how people like me find out that sorta stuff as I don't have the time or resources to do the tests. So I greatly encourage Alex to continue his public assesments. 80% of the reason I'm a member on this forum is because of the knowledgeable people here that do the tests and comparisons the majority of people cant.