CRITERION BARREL! Outstanding!

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by 260Ravage, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 260Ravage

260Ravage

A couple of weeks ago I screwed a new Criterian prefit Barrel (6BR, 8 twist, 28"bull) on an old Savage 112 single shot action/BVSS stock.
    After load development, with 150 rounds down the tube,,,that thing shoots like crazy. It consistantly will keep the group at 300 yards under 1 1/2 inches. Several groups have measured slightly over 3/4". I own a factory Savage model 12 benchrest which only likes RE15. This newly barreled one loves 30 gr. of Varget with berger 105VLDs .010" into the riflings. It does not like the new 105gr. hybrids. The new also barrel cleans up easily.

2. Rock Knocker

Rock Knocker

Re: CRITERIAN BARREL! Outstanding!

They are a great value! Ive put a multiple three shot groups under .5" from 300 one ended up under .25"! From a Savage target action and i havent even finished with testing my seating depths. With H4831sc the barrel cleans up easier than my dishes.

3. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Did you take pictures and put the target in your billfold?

4. mauser08

mauser08

Great choice got mine from nss it is 9 tw22-250 shoots 30.5 gr varget and 68 gr hornady bthp less than a 1/4 in at a 100yd

5. 260Ravage

260Ravage

3 shot groups are tough,,,,,,5 shot groups are tougher!,,,,,,,10 shot groups,which tell the story, are really taxing.

6. Rock Knocker

Rock Knocker

I've saved all my best targets, I dont have them laminated so i dont keep them in my wallet but i will get a picture up later.

[​IMG]

;D

Shooting a Criterion from a savage and cheap enough to use gift wrap as targets. Money cant buy everything.

7. butchlambert

Don't worry about posting them until you have at least 3 groups on the same target. That shows what it does consistantly, not every once and awhile.

8. markr

markr

LOL! :D

9. lal357

lal357

i've alot of good things about them been thinking about putting one on a 110 i have sitting in the safe.

10. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

I will throw my 02 cents in for Criterion barrels. The ones i have are very consistent performers and i have been very pleased with them in the mid range matches we shot last year.

11. butchlambert

Criterion barrels are Kreiger's button rifle barrels.

12. huffmanite

huffmanite

Gent I shoot with on a regular basis, recently finished a build in 6xc on a Remnut 700 action with a Criterion barrel. Happened to be shooting with him first two times he'd tried the rifle. First time he'd just brought 5 or 6 rounds of 6xc loaded for another rifle he owned to do his version of a barrel break in and they grouped pretty decent. He tried four loads the second time, varing only his powder charge. Best four shot group was between 3/8" to 1/2" at 100 yards. He was a happy gent.

Update to this......gent has run some more reloads down barrel, experimenting with different powders for example. 1/4" groups at 100yds with some and can't remember exactly what his 200 yd groups were other than very very good. Needless to say he's very happy.

13. Gene66

Gene66 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Shilen barrel on a 6mm BR and a .243. I just installed Criterion barrels on a 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmoor. All of these were on a target single short action, and just use the H & R LRPV stocks. Note the Shilen barrels are very accurate and clean up is very easy. The Criterion barrels are just as accurate and easy to clean. The last two weeks I have been working up a load for the 260 Remington. I mainly use H 4350 ranging from 43 to 45.5 grains using Hornady 120 AMAX bullet with a OAL of 2.872. I have only shot at 100 yards and I will try to push it out to 300, 400 and 500 yards this spring. The 6.5 Creedmoor looks like it is a good shooter too. These groups that I am showing are from the 260 Remington. Good shooting, Gene

Attached Files:

14. Leaddog

Leaddog F-Class T/R

A couple of 10 shot groups at 300+ would be nice to see. 600 is better. Same point of aim, no wind correction applied. Minimal vertical is what you want. 3 shot groups at 100 yards don't say much except to rezero your scope.

15. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Charlie,
    Are you sure that the 600 yd vertical situation would be an indication of barrel quality, or perhaps more of an ammunition issue? Friends who have improved their vertical dispersion, tell me that they have done so, primarily by improving their ammunition.
    Boyd

16. butchlambert

+1 Boyd.

17. Leaddog

Leaddog F-Class T/R

Boyd - I certainly agree with your statement, but based on the original post, the load was already tuned. Also, no doubt a quality barrel will outshoot vertically, at distance, a mass produced factory barrel with a tuned load.

18. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

There are many very successful shooters, including one National mid-range BR Champion I know, who use 3-shot groups for initial load development. While I agree that a 10-shot group is much more definitive, consider this -- if you are attempting to find a load that delivers a given acceptable level of accuracy, say 1/2 MOA, and you can't get that consistently with 3-shot groups, there is no point in firing more shots. The 4th, 5th... and umpteenth shots will NEVER make the group any smaller.

Likewise, for some disciplines, the rifle's ability to lay down five and only five shots in rapid order is what really counts.

Personally I shoot three-shot groups during initial pressure testing and seating depth testing, then I will go to multiple 5-shot groups to confirm. YMMV.

We do like to shoot 10-shot groups when doing product comparison tests. We've seen, with bullets, sometimes the 10-shot groups reveal a 10-20% "flyer" factor that may not be revealed with smaller groups. I also prefer to shoot at least 10 shots over a chronograph when confirming velocities for a "chosen" load that has already displayed excellent accuracy.

As for any endeavor, select a procedure that is suited for your needs. I see nothing wrong with someone who wants to start off with 3-shot testing, with higher-shot-number groups used for later load "confirmation".

19. butchlambert

I certainly agree. Why burn your expensive barrel with ten shot groups during load development. 3 shot groups until you find your load. After you find your load you can shoot your 5 or 10 shot groups in practice.