craving a 22br

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by benchrest, Mar 13, 2019.

1. benchrest

benchrest Silver $$ Contributor

so ive owned a couple 6brs, currently shoot a 6Dasher. naturally i would eventually want to build a 22br.
    looking at getting a #5 or 3b contour finished at 23" threaded for a 6" suppressor.(would go shorter but dont want to loose the speed)
    this will be more of a coyote rifle setup...
    Going on a Bighorn Origin. these Bighorns cycle these little BR cases perfect

my Dasher with muzzle brake has very little recoil! i can watch bullets impact at any range. with the suppressor it recoils just enough to bump me off target. that's one of the reasons id like to also own a 22br shooting 75gr bullets. looking for lighter recoil with suppressor.
    i would hope that a 22br with suppressor will be low enough recoil to watch bullets impact at long range.

*most shots will be at 400-500 yards(im sure i will stretch it out past that)
    *want to shoot 75 or 80 eldm

so questions would be:

what twist should i go with? 1:8 vs 1:7

what kind of velocity do you think i can get with 75gr with this setup? i estimated 3050fps?

powders? ive read 8208 and varget...

2. 300meter

300meter

If you like your Bighorn action, you should have Mark Chanlynn of Rocky Mountain Rifle Works barrel it for you. He and A.J. Goddard designed the Bighorn. Mark makes cut rifle barrels that are the best I've ever shot. He's a great gunsmith.

I have a 22BR on a Bighorn from Mark. This rifle is amazing on prairie dogs. The action is so smooth, it's just a pleasure to shoot.

You'll like the 22BR. Accurate and more efficient than a 22-250 with much longer barrel life.

3. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

8 twist. You will be able to watch impacts. 3100+fps even with the 23"

Go for it

4. benchrest

ive plugged in the numbers to recoil calculators, it looks like it will be light recoil.
    and ive done the ballistics. the 22br shooting 75s out perform a 6br with same weight bullets as far as wind drift.
    looks like the 22br will do what im wanting. 3100fps would be great. anything above 3000 works for me.
    i wanting it to shoot the 75eldm...just to keep it a cheap plinker. hopefully they fly straight enough.

5. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

One thing to keep in mind. You CAN'T bump up the powder charge in the 22 like you do the 6 BR. Throw in another half grain and :eek::eek::eek:!!
    You won't be able to find a big enough hammer to beat the bolt open.:mad:Learn to go slow on the powder build up and everything will be :cool::cool::cool:.
    If it was me, I'd be going with a no turn neck, ZERO free bore chamber.
    No messing with brass and you start out with the lightest bullets you can find, at or jammed into the lands, then go heavier as the throat wears. Keep your loads mid range so you don't overwork the brass. They last longer that way.;) Enjoy the ride.:D

6. benchrest

tempting on the no-turn neck. plug and play sounds best.
    is there an inside donut on the bottom of the neck after sizing down?
    (i ask b/c there was on my 6x47L, I neck turned it)

so far ive found reamer with a .0490 freebore

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 8:06 PM
  7. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

Yes you will have a slight doughnut. Go no turn and if you spec your reamer taper the neck larger at the neck shoulder by .0015.

I shoot 3065fps with a 26" 223AI and 75gr bullets. No pressure signs and its so darn dead at the shot, with a heavier gun and 4 port brake, I'm almost able to hear/feel the firing pin. It's a strange feeling I have only ever noticed suppressed in the past.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  8. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Only ran into the "doughnut" issue one time. Was shooting BT bullets so it didn't cause a problem as I was seating just above.;)
    If you're into neck turning, push the doughnut to the outside and turn it off.

9. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

You’ll love the 22BR. I have a 24” Rem Varmint contour Bartlein in mine and it’s one of my favorite guns to shoot. Basically no recoil, you can watch hits most of the time, easy to load for and very accurate.

I’ve been running 75 Berger’s from mine right at 3200fps with 8208. I’ve ran them to 3250 with 4350.

Build one, you won’t be disappointed!

10. bradb

bradb Silver $$ Contributor

I had a bunch of brass from a 22br rem 40x I had years ago. ......had to do something with the brass so I have new Borden Super short 6 coming, Jim is doing the barrel no turn, I went light palma and am going short, going in a folding whiskey chasis. Dang brass sitting around cost a lot of money!

11. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

YOU'LL LOVE IT I SHOT MY LITTLE SHORT RANGE 22BR RIFLE TODAY IT'S A SHILEN BUILT RIG AND ITS AMAZING SHOT SOME .139 UP TOO .220 TODAY IF I COULD SEE LIKE I ONCE DID I THINK IT WOULD SHOOT A HALF HOLE :D:D

MrMajestic likes this.
  12. xswanted

I gotta ask.....what’s a Super Short 6?

I’m not familiar with it

13. Evan

Evan

xswanted likes this.
  14. xswanted

15. bradb

Why disappointing?

16. xswanted

I was hoping it’d be some new caliber that was a must have and much cooler and better than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

However an action that can reliably feed the BR cases is pretty cool.

17. bradb

well get wildcatting the 284 win case to dasher length and I will take 1! :)