Crafting a Rifle Stock

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by CStuck, Jun 12, 2019.

1. CStuck

CStuck

The 4th & 5th I am pretty proud of
    IMG_8663-23338556.jpg
    IMG_86601223556.jpg
    20190326_140525.jpg

5th is still a work in progress
    20190428_145916.jpg
    20190428_145841.jpg

300_whisper and USMCDOC like this.
  2. CStuck

CStuck

1559169703559.jpg

My checkering skills still need some work but its getting better
    20190507_182227.jpg

3. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

That is very good. Are you by any chance taking note how long it takes to build one? I like the level of luster. Nice and easy on the eyes.

4. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Those are nice enough that I would probably buy one of your stocks. Starting to get ready for my next build, a .243 AI.

300_whisper and Bc'z like this.
  5. CStuck

CStuck

Thank you for the kind words.

I do take note on how long the whole stock crafting takes, but each one has been different. I get more efficient with each attempt, but I would say it takes roughly 40-60 hours from start to finish for me. I still have a full time job so that translates to 3-5 months as I only work on them on weekends (weather permitting at some stages) or an hour or so after work when I'm feeling creative. I take some weekends to go shoot, or hangout with friends & family. Also this is more of a hobby turned into service, than a real business. I want to help people get something they couldn't get anywhere else without a super high price tag and I really enjoy making them

If you would like to dicuss details on a future stock, I'd be happy to talk in depth with you about your goals, wants, etc. Via messages. I dont want this thread to turn into a for sale discussion.

6. DNotti

DNotti Gold $$ Contributor

Really appreciate this thread. I have some moderate woodworking skill and have wanted to experiment with making stocks for a while but was a bit at a loss where to start. It is encouraging to know I don't need more than the tools that are in my shop already -- I don't have a mill, but I do have the same cross slide table on my drill press so it is nice to know that will work.

Question...how do you create your templates? My primary interest is benchrest stocks.

CStuck likes this.
  7. lwhaples

lwhaples Silver $$ Contributor

You do awesome work,and I enjoyed the write up. Trying to talk myself into doing a stock.I'm not much for wood working,but I think it would be a good challenge.

CStuck likes this.
  8. CStuck

CStuck

Thank you. I was at loss on where to start when I did my first one, but I've found a process that works for me. As far as templates go I start with a side picture of the design I would like to get close to. Then I scale up the image to get it a little larger than the manufacturers measurements, I try to get the scaled drawing a 1/4"-1/2" larger all around that gives me a little extra wood to work with. Once the image is scaled I print it on my plotter at work on a 24"x36" paper. Trace it on a 1/4" piece of plywood and cut it out. If you don't have access to a large printer, you could try a blueprint/ copy business, let me know if you need more details on how to do that

Arcticshooter and Damfino like this.
  9. DNotti

DNotti Gold $$ Contributor

That sounds "simple" enough :).
    Again, really appreciate your willingness to share the knowledge it has taken you so much time and effort to learn. It is what I love about this forum and all the contributors!

muleystalker, Damfino and CStuck like this.
  10. FFEMT

FFEMT Gold $$ Contributor

Beautiful work......... Enough said. Bob

burlflet, muleystalker and CStuck like this.
  11. CStuck

CStuck

Thats what this is all about right? Helping other shooters & enthusiasts enjoy the sport. I also think its part of our gentlmanly duty to share experience, lessons learned, and knowledge with those wanting/willing to learn, so it can be passed on and the knowledge isn't lost.

If you have troubles scaling the drawing/picture. You can send it to me, I'll scale it to the measurements you'd like and I can sent it back to you, or print a few copies and mail it to ya.

300_whisper and muleystalker like this.
  12. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

I can’t picture a better varmint stock.

dgeesaman and CStuck like this.
  13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Great read, I really enjoyed seeing you take it from rough lumber to a finished shooter.
    Amazing craftsmanship!!
    I'll be sending a PM as I'd like a maple with lots of figure in a Remington 700 LA.

CStuck and USMCDOC like this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Man you guys making these stocks do an awesome job. Im fortunate to own one of josh’s creations and a few more fine pieces from a couple stockmakers that have long since passed on. Im a real sucker for fine wood in a sporter style. I find it amazing the way you guys do the things yall do fixture wise coming up with ways to do things without expensive machinery. Mucho respect to you craftsmen!!

hpshooter, CStuck and Bc'z like this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

I just wish somebody would make me a sporter stock from osage orange so i can cross that off my list.

joshb, Arcticshooter and USMCDOC like this.
  16. CStuck

CStuck

Thank you, it's a lot of work but I enjoy it.

I may know of a place to get your Osage Orange...it's less and 2 miles from the house
    Screenshot_20190612-184556_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190612-184549_Gallery.jpg

joshb, mauser284 and USMCDOC like this.
  17. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I got a hand crafted long bow in osage orange.
    Looks kind of twisted and curvy, draws smooth stacks hard 56# at 28".
    Bites the shit outa me every time I shoot it.

CStuck likes this.
  18. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

Those are absolutely amazing! Great work!

CStuck likes this.
  19. Dusty Stevens

Thats awesome!! Ive bought a few of those planks from somewhere when i was making duck calls

USMCDOC likes this.
  20. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Very nice work. You built it and have every right to be proud of it! Congratulations and keep up the great work!

USMCDOC likes this.