Coyote Hunting

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by JORTZ, Aug 16, 2017.

1. K22hornet.

K22hornet.

"Everybody that is legal to own an AR15 , owns a FoxPro around my area .."

We call that being 'Foxpro'ed out'.

Great calls, but when everybody and their brother use them, the coyotes get a PhD in Foxpro sounds very quickly.

Using hand calls, I get my share of late season coyotes off of public lands each year.

For a DIY hunt, come out West. Lot's of public lands and coyotes are in most of them.
    For 'body count', hunt them in September. You will be hunting 4-5 month old coyotes and all they have associated a dying rabbit call with is Mama bringing one home. September is when it looks easy to call coyotes.

By February, they are a different animal.

2. S.B.

S.B.

Biologists will tell you the last man on earth will have a cock roach, whitetail deer, and coyotes for company.
    Steve

3. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Add feral hogs

4. S.B.

S.B.

JBT, I believe that's a stretch that I've never seen or heard before?
    Steve

5. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I was being somewhat facetious...my point was that hogs adapt very quickly and are able to survive tough conditions.

6. roband

roband

And a magpie or two!

7. S.B.

S.B.

roband, I've never read or seen this either?
    Steve

8. K22hornet.

K22hornet.

I've read a similar quote, but it was attributed to Native Americans. The saying is " the last creatures on Earth will be a coyote and a cockroach, and the coyote will eat the cockroach".

9. Hal

Hal

You just as well add rats and mice to the list too.

Hal

10. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

a coyote will eat them as well

11. Hal

Hal

Oh I know a coyote will eat them, I don't think there is much a coyote won't eat.
    I just thought they should be added to the list of "the last things on earth"

12. J. Gunz

J. Gunz

We hunt coyote and hog yearly down here in Texas. It does slow down in the summer months but as someone mentioned, it picks up in September. Texas is a tough place to hunt because there isn't a lot of public hunting land like in the northern states.

13. S.B.

S.B.

J. Guns, you are mistaken about Public hunting being abundant in the north, where I am anyway.
    Steve

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  14. Hal

Hal

Steve I think you got J Gunz and My name, Hal ,mixed up names mixed up.
    In some of the states there is a lot of public land that can be hunted.

Hal

15. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

16. J. Gunz

J. Gunz

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/public-hunting-land/

I guess it depends how you look at it. If your going by percent of land open to public hunting then there are only 4 other states with less. If your going by total acres open to the public then there are still only a few northern states that have less public land to hunt.

17. langenc

langenc

Montana might have lots of public land but it all seems to be tied up,leases from fed govt??

Drive across the interstate and there are barb wire fences on both sides of the road in Montana and North Dakota-thousand miles.

No one has ever explained that to me..

18. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Most BLM land is surrounded by fences, not necessarily to keep you out, but to keep cattle in -- or out as the case may be. jd

Mark W likes this.
  19. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Also -- I have noticed over the years that many private land owners are happy to conceal the fact that their deeded land borders BLM or other state/federal land. They often come to treat these public lands as if they belong to them.

I understand this thinking, but the fact remains that the property belongs to the public, and in most cases access must be provided where possible.

I have talked to the folks in our local BLM office, and there are in fact a few public locations where the only access would have to be by air;-- but not very many. jd

Toby Bradshaw likes this.
  20. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Here in Nevada the BLM predominates. There are many large ranches on lease allotments, usually with a small private holding around the homestead. For the most part access is not a problem, but there have been a few high-profile cases where a rancher tried to block off a popular road and even fired shots towards passersby. It's worth noting that an un-maintained road crossing private land, if it has been used openly by the public long enough, may have acquired a public easement "by prescription". I know of several roads with locked gates posted "No Trespassing - Private" which in fact are illegally gated, and savvy outdoorsmen have simply pioneered a two-track around them. Some such disputes wind up in court, and gates may be ordered removed or at least left unlocked.
    -

Toby Bradshaw likes this.